Acutex 412 STR Cartridge?

Kico

Here's lookin' at you kid
Considering ordering one of these from Italy and wondering what you guys who ordered one or have one think of it's quality/sound? Seems like a reasonable price--$68 and change to my door for a new cart and specs seem decent too.

I guess my real question is "would you buy the cart again knowing what you know now after having owned and listened to one?"...and is it a cart worth having in my stable at the price?

Thanks all.

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
after reading a number of threads about this cart i got one of these and am loving it. for the $ i didn't see it as much of a risk and if it was anywhere near my Micro-Acoustics 2002e, which is another one of those under the radar but well regarded carts, then a spend well worth doing. as it turned out to be. not going to replace my 150MLX or Shure V15 VMR, but in many ways right up there performance-wise with some of my other newer carts. hope this helps.

Thanks Louis-yes, it does help...might just order 2 if for nothing more than a replacement stylus. :yes:

Hey John,

Read through those posts last nite--all 20 pages! Most agreed the 312 lll STR version seemed to be the favorite, but as you know those are no longer available from this vendor.

I do seem to remember when the earlier Acutex "flat-nose" versions were introduced in the 70's they were highly regarded and very expensive. I know have Hirsch-Houck Lab test reports on some Acutex cartridges somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find them.
In any case, it's pretty hard to argue the price to performance for a brand new cartridge/stylus of this reputation, especially since the way prices are going for vintage carts these days!

Guess I'll just push the button--:yes:

Thanks.

Last edited:
fwiw the transaction was super smooth and shipping was fast. i don't know how it stacks up against the 312 but i can't imagine you'd be disappointed especially for the price. if this is any indication i like it just as much as the 440MLA i was running prior to getting the 150MLX.

Louis,

That's good to hear, I too have a 440 MLA and like it very much...in fact I have two of them. I have 40 + cartridges in my stable both MC and MM and many brands, but no Acutex.

I had the 312 STR, but after all the hype I was pretty disappointed with it to be honest and ended up selling it barely broken in. It was not a bad cart per se, I just found the tonal balance to be very unagreeable in my system and bass was over-emphasized. When I realized I prefered the cheapest AT offerings to it, I figured it was time to let that one go :) It did have the advantages of a line contact stylus. At 60 bucks there's not much to loose there, and if you don't like it, someone will take it off your hands for little loss on your part, so despite me not liking the 312 I'd still be willing to recommend them (and 412 by proxy) for trying - who knows, might be just the ticket for someone.

I purchased both the 312 and 312 cartridges from the Italian vendor in question. My 312 arrived DOA and when I asked how to return it for another the vendor simply sent me a second cartridge. Good people to do that. :yes:

Comparing the two cartridges on my main system Marantz 2245 and Yamaha YP-701 table the 412 behaved much better and that is contrary to most others observations. Symmetry is much needed for these cartridges, it seems. The 312 in contrast sounded much more pleasing on my second system. :scratch2:

For the money these can't be beat.

Gerard

I had the 312 STR, but after all the hype I was pretty disappointed with it to be honest and ended up selling it barely broken in. It was not a bad cart per se, I just found the tonal balance to be very unagreeable in my system and bass was over-emphasized. When I realized I prefered the cheapest AT offerings to it, I figured it was time to let that one go :) It did have the advantages of a line contact stylus. At 60 bucks there's not much to loose there, and if you don't like it, someone will take it off your hands for little loss on your part, so despite me not liking the 312 I'd still be willing to recommend them (and 412 by proxy) for trying - who knows, might be just the ticket for someone.

muovimies,

Thanks for your input. Like so much in this hobby, so many things are "system dependent"...the right synergy is everything. :yes:

I really like the 412 on my Dual 1019. I use it as my preferred player especially for less than stellar LPs from thrift shops, etc. instead of my others tables with MC cartridges.

Seems to be a really nice match. Surprisingly good with a VTF about 1.8 to 1.9 grams. The VTA seems to be spot on without any modifications. I bought a second 412 as a back up. The price to performance is outstanding!

Kico said:
...I know have Hirsch-Houck Lab test reports on some Acutex cartridges somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find them. ...
I was trying to find this/these for you online, but couldn't even find evidence of Hirsch-Houck ever testing an Acutex cartridge, certainly not for Stereo Review or Popular Electronics. I've got the Nov '78 test of the M320 III STR done by High Fidelity, but that's it.

Last edited:
I was trying to find this/these for you online, but couldn't even find evidence of Hirsch-Houck ever testing an Acutex, certainly not for Stereo Review. I've got the Nov '78 test of the M320 III STR done by High Fidelity, but that's it.

Walt,

Thanks for your effort...when I have more time I'll dig through my stack of old Mags to check. I'm guessing the one you have is probably what I was remembering.

Alas, my memory fades somewhat after nearly 40 years. :sigh:

Thanks again.

I was trying to find this/these for you online, but couldn't even find evidence of Hirsch-Houck ever testing an Acutex, certainly not for Stereo Review. I've got the Nov '78 test of the M320 III STR done by High Fidelity, but that's it.

I'd like to see that one, Walt! Any chance of a link or a scan? Is it the Sears M320 Mexican M320?

Thanks Louis-yes, it does help...might just order 2 if for nothing more than a replacement stylus. :yes:

Hey John,

Read through those posts last nite--all 20 pages! Most agreed the 312 lll STR version seemed to be the favorite, but as you know those are no longer available from this vendor.

I do seem to remember when the earlier Acutex "flat-nose" versions were introduced in the 70's they were highly regarded and very expensive. I know have Hirsch-Houck Lab test reports on some Acutex cartridges somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find them.
In any case, it's pretty hard to argue the price to performance for a brand new cartridge/stylus of this reputation, especially since the way prices are going for vintage carts these days!

Guess I'll just push the button--:yes:

Thanks.

OK guys, just ordered 2 of these, should be here by June 26. :music: Looking forward to seeing how they perform...you don't get much in the "Audio World" these days for $127 shipped. If the carts prove to my liking, I think it's a bargain.

attachment.php

Last edited:
boreas said:
Thankee kinely, cap'n!
Is that a real sailor's cap you're wearin', or is that a Sears sailor's cap? /zappajokes

Last edited:
"I have 40 + cartridges in my stable" ..... Holy Cats!! Do you have a cartridge rack? I have a 412 I bought used (for alot more than $68) but have yet to mount it. I want to get a couple more headshells so I can premount & align my meager cart collection.

"I have 40 + cartridges in my stable" ..... Holy Cats!! Do you have a cartridge rack? I have a 412 I bought used (for alot more than $68) but have yet to mount it. I want to get a couple more headshells so I can premount & align my meager cart collection.

"A cartridge rack"...no, but I surely need something!!

I'm a little embarrassed :eek: to show how I store my carts...I really do need to find a better solution. The rest are in another box with all my spare stylii.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom