Admiral AM/FM Stereo Multiplex Console

BmWr75

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hey Guys,

I picked this up today at the Habitat for Humanity store for $10. The kid there says it plays and sounds good. I bought it cause it has tubes inside. Here's some pictures before any clean up. I've not tried it yet.

When I got it home was pissed......no CD/iPod input. :D

Scott

attachment.php

Last edited:
More pictures

The top needs to be refinished, but the wood on the sides and front looks good as is.

The EL84 tubes are branded Admiral, as are all the tubes in the console, but are marked Made in Holland. Amperex?????

The 12AU7 slot in the preamp had a 12AT7 installed instead.

Think I should give it a listen in this all original condition? I have a variac, but am pretty sure they played it at the Habitat store since the kid commented on how it sounded.

Last edited:
use tape or aux inputs

if it has tape or aux inputs that will work edit see below

Last edited:
If it has a tape or aux input usually on back that will work for CD. You will need an adapter for I Pod
You can get a simple 3.5 mm stereo to rca adapter almost anywhere that sells electronics likley even Wall Mart or Target .

I was just kidding about the AUX input. :yes:

The only identification on the turntable is this model number - RC7F2G-31W.

I bought an earlier Admiral at a garage sale several years ago; it also had an SE EL84 amp. It was pretty trashed, so I gutted it for the amp; added a 2.5V fils tansformer and converted it into a SE 45 amp.

Best $140 (total) I ever spent in audio. Alas, my dog chewed up the output transformers. And no, it wasn't turned on.

The wife just dared me into giving it a go. The radio and turntable are fully functional. Guess I'll refinish the top and recap the amp and preamp and keep it.

Anybody got a schematic for this one?

Last edited:
"..no CD/iPod input"

I bet you were really let down when it didn't have an "f" for facebook button.

I love it when people call it an ipod plug/jack. I do correct them on the spot with "It's an 1/8" mini plug/jack." But oh! now it works with an ipod they are double the price they used to be.

"..no CD/iPod input"

I bet you were really let down when it didn't have an "f" for facebook button.

I love it when people call it an ipod plug/jack. I do correct them on the spot with "It's an 1/8" mini plug/jack." But oh! now it works with an ipod they are double the price they used to be.

Hey you could always rip out the changer,and replace it with an iPod dock!

I haven't figured out how to get the preamp/tuner out of the cabinet yet. Am sure there are a couple of small value caps that need replacing there also.

What risk do you run (other than poor sonics) if you only recap the amp and speaker crossovers?

Not as much of a risk as if you were to omit the power supply and power amp. But, based on what you say you can bet someone at the thrift store already turned it on. Knowing that I would too, if I were in your shoes. Don't omit recapping the tuner/pre-amp.

That printed circuit board and that Compactron (is that a Compactron I see in a shield at the top left of the photo?) screams mid 60's build (gut feeling says '65-66), probably one of the last tube sets prior to SS.

Wow. Steam the towels. That power amp needs a shave! :no:

It seems like everyone's console's had some bastard way of removing the components. I see a couple of 1/4" heads on the tuner/pre-amp. Maybe those just release it from a frame. Look for a way to release the frame from the cabinet. Take the knobs off the top- they may be hidden underneath.

Brian

Correct, Amperex EL84s, and what looks like either RCAs or maybe Raytheon 12A*7's. I'd bring it up slow on the variac just to make yourself feel better about the caps. If you don't have a 12AU7, PM me and I'll send you one....

I have a bunch of 12AU7s.....but am curious why someone put an Admiral branded 12AT7 in the 12AU7 socket. The gain on a 12AT7 is 60, while the gain on a 12AU7 is 19 according to this chart:

http://thetubestore.com/gainfactor.html

Already order the caps for the amp and probably already have the caps for the preamp/tuner in a box somewhere. So, plan to recap the amp, put a 12AU7 in the preamp and see what it sounds like before I tackle getting the preamp out of the cabinet.

RC7 is the model number of the Admiral/Ensign Record changer. The earlier version was
an RC6. This was the ADM series earky 60's.
Later Admiral/Ensign changers were RC 400 and RC 500

Back
Top Bottom