Admiral Super 125 chassis?

sgarwood

Hello!

I have an Admiral receiver marked Super 125 on the face panel. It has been installed in a standalone wood case. I don't know if this was a factory product or a console head unit installed in a box. I do have another installed this way - factory piece.

I have not been able to locate any information on the Admiral Super 125, other than a couple of references to units listed for sale in the past.

There is a chassis tag that shows a chassis number of what I believe to be 24A6X. Nothing found on line on this either.

The receiver appears to function well - tape and phono inputs appear to be accessed through a 9 pin molex connector, top left on the rear view. I have a plug on order, but no pinout. Schematic would help.

Any info on this unit would be helpful - history, specifications, etc.

Thanks!

Steve,
Attica, Ohio

Attachments

• Admiral Super 125.jpg
    Admiral Super 125.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Admiral Super 125 rear view.jpg
    Admiral Super 125 rear view.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 42
Hello!
This looks like one of the ads that I have seen of this unit - apparently it has been floating around awhile. There are tape and phono positions on the selector. There is a harness coiled up with a 4 conductor molex plug - most likely for turntable AC power - I haven't metered it yet. There is a 9 pin molex connector on the chassis, most likely for the audio inputs. Another 9 pin next to it has the speaker outputs. There are two speaker switches, internal and external along with a headphone jack on the front panel.

I figured there would be more info on the Super 125, but very little surfacing on a Google search. AudioKarma search showed on comment about a 125 in a thread - still looking.

Steve

If you Google images for "Admiral super 125" (with the quotes) you can see pics of it in a console and in a separate cabinet. So it looks factory both ways.

https://www.google.com/search?q="ad...Sg&biw=1600&bih=728#imgrc=_&spf=1512588334898

Sam's ought to have a Photofact folder on it but I'm not finding the Super 125 either. Here's an index up through 2001. This thing is probably ca. 1970 so it should be in there.

https://www.samswebsite.com/downloads/ANNUAL_INDEX_VOL1_2002.pdf

There is a listing for 24A-6, without the X, which may or may not be a similar chassis. Sams Folder 983-3.

Found the console example on another site on a sold console. The other one that shows up is the exact one that I ended up with. Looks like it had been listed a couple different places. I found the similar chassis number on the Sam's website, but no idea if it is close. I may have to order/download it to find out!

I can tone out the connector to identify the inputs, but it would be quicker with the schematic. I still don't know if this was a factory piece, but it was done well.

The picture on my avatar is another factory built Admiral receiver version of another model. The markings and dial scale were horizontal rather than vertical.....

Steve

Downloaded Sam's 983-3 last night. It's very similar to what I have, maybe even shares the same metal chassis. In place of the molex jack, there is a pair of RCA jacks. The photofact document shows the cabinet on the cover, but not the receiver face panel.

Still looking for information on the Admiral Super 125.....

I was going to suggest, there are some AKers with a lot of SAM's so you can ask here before spending $. For future reference.

I would think there is a Sam's for the whole console with the TT. Although I have an old Philco with a separate folder for the TT since it was used iin multiple consoles.

The Sam's folder is dated 9/1968. There is another paper tag glued to the left side of the chassis, but it's too close to the cabinet side to read. It won't be easy to remove it as the other wiring is clamped to the cabinet bottom.

I still don't know if this was a factory install or factory as a standalone. The finish and cabinetry is good, but no labels or marking in the box. The back cover is Masonite with clean holes - doesn't appear homemade. Still looking!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom