Advent 1's, yes or no?

elgato8905

Nobody special.
There have been a pair of advent 1's at a local thrift store for about two weeks now. They are asking $29.99 for the pair. Each needs a refoam, but other than that, they are in perfect condition. I have never owned a pair of Advents. can anyone give me some input on whether to buy or not. I am guessing at the model because it has no number. All it says on the back is The Advent Loudspeaker, so I'm guessing these were the first ones they made. They were made in Massachusettes if I'm remembering right. Each speaker has a white grill, a 10" woofer and a orange tweeter with a grill over it. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks :scratch2:

If it has the masonite ring, they are the original Advent Loudspeaker.
Yes, worth $30 plus a refoam. "They" say refoaming is simple, but I haven't tried it myself (being ham-handed).

Wouldn't the grill over the tweeter be from the second generation Advent? What kind of cabinet do they have?

Yes, do get them!! If you don't like them, I will buy them from you!

Or just pick them up for me and ship them along..... ;)

I have 2 pairs of those. And they all needed to be refoamed. Once done, I love the sound. Well worth getting for sure! :thmbsp:

Larges, #1s, Bevels, rounded, Utility, Masonite, or metal, etc, etc, always buy Advents! :yes:

bully said:
If it has the masonite ring, they are the original Advent Loudspeaker.
Yes, worth $30 plus a refoam. "They" say refoaming is simple, but I haven't tried it myself (being ham-handed).

Are you kidding me? I figured that would be required on your resume to be a mod around here. :D
Grab 'em. If you aren't up for re-foaming, find someone here that lives near you, and trade beers for lessons and time. Or, send them off to someone here.

And the grill over the tweeter is 2nd generation, but the non-grilled ones were only the first very very few, and if I recall, not many have survived because those were the tweeters that died.

Thanks alot for all your input guys. I just went and picked them up. Now I can put them in the garage with my altecs, jbls, soundcraftsmens, infinitys, dynacos and some others that all need a refoam. One day I will get around to it. At least now I should be able to get a discount if I buy all the foams at once, that's one way to justify it... Thanks for supporting me in my sickness... I wouldn't have it any other way. Greg :thmbsp:

There are two classic 10" Advent woofers, the masonite ring and the metal basket, the /1 has the metal basket. They both use the same surround foam, though. Go ahead and order yourself a pair from rssounds.com. Just order them. These guys have poor email etiquette and are slow shippers, but you'll get what you need. Your next upgrade, if you decide to accept the mission, would be changing the single 13uf bipolar electrolytic capacitor to a polypropylene cap. You'll be well on your way to a rewarding hobby.

elgato8905 said:
Now I can put them in the garage with my altecs, jbls, soundcraftsmens, infinitys, dynacos and some others that all need a refoam. Thanks for supporting me in my sickness... I wouldn't have it any other way. Greg :thmbsp:

Hmmmmmmm..........

You been sandbagging us, Bunky???? :lmao:

How's about letting us in on what you got out there; it sounds sweet!! :tresbon:

The Advent/1 was the replacement for the Smaller Advent. Same drivers as the New Large Advent...smaller cab, different x-over.

Is this Advent/1 so called large advent or small advent?

Thanks

Neither. The Advent/1 was the replacement for the Smaller Advent. It used the same drivers as the New Advent Loudspeaker, but in a smaller cabinet. If the pirce is right, they're capable speakers, but I wouldn't seek them out.

I just got a pair of advent/1 with refoamed woofers for $50. It sounds good listening to them in a room next to the room where those speakers play.

I paid the same price for those speakers in good condition too, but they also needed a refoam. It did this as my first refoam project and they sound very good although the bass doesn't go as low as the new large Advents due to the smaller cabinet. I would say get them, it you don't like them, you have four very good drivers.

Does the Model 1 require that 17 mm inverted surround to be right or what? I get my Advents mixed up. There was a thread recently (I think it was my Finding Foam Surrounds thread) where someone said that some of the foams are 14 mm roll diameter and they don't sound right unless you get the 17 mm. Or was that on the Original Advents, rather than the /1's.

They are even more vintage now than when the thread began. :D

Refoaming metal Advents woofers is easy, I've done that. The masonite ring ones take longer if you want to remove all the old glue from the masonite without removing it from the frame. Doing that it's easy to crack the ring, so I left them on.

Does the Model 1 require that 17 mm inverted surround to be right or what? I get my Advents mixed up. There was a thread recently (I think it was my Finding Foam Surrounds thread) where someone said that some of the foams are 14 mm roll diameter and they don't sound right unless you get the 17 mm. Or was that on the Original Advents, rather than the /1's.

The /1 has the metal baskets. No inversion of the surround. I just refoamed a pair of NLAs...relatively pain-free.

11 years later... Just picked up non-sequential serialized color matching set of Advent 1/2, for $20 for a charity thrifty. B+ cabinet condition, grills are solid. No sounds of blown anything, yet will likely try the 13uF cap swap on these. The lows are a bit boomy and actually 'light or missing' IMHO, but not intolerable when I'm pushing to 70-80 dB at 1 meter. Going to 100 dB things kinda fall apart, and at 110 dB at 1 meter they actual feel like the lows come into a solid frame instead of being kinda lost. My ears bleed a little at this dB so its short spurts (with ear plugs).

Attachments

• DSC07818.JPG
    DSC07818.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 80
Back
Top Bottom