Analysis plus oval 9’s vs. Kimber 8tc speaker cables

GP Hill

ive decided to try some new speaker cables in my system, and I’ve narrowed it down to these two. Right now I’ve got bjc 10 ga. cables and they seem fine but the bug has bitten me. I would like some opinions on these two cables. Don’t confuse me with others that are way better for half the price. I’m only interested in these two. My amp is a McIntosh MC452 and the speakers are Aerial 7t’s. Also should I bi-wire or not. Thanks.

Last edited:
Though I haven't heard that particular combination of gear, I have compared those two specific cables. They're both excellent, and I could live with either, but I ended up preferring the Analysis Plus. Just that little bit smoother and clearer to my ears.

I can only speak for the 8TCs, and I like them very much. I was previously using 10ga OFC cables terminated with Furutech FP-202G banana plugs, and terminated the Kimbers with the same plugs. They sound very nice and really look cool too! Lol! Seriously though, they sounded a little more open and detailed with cleaner highs than the 10ga OFC to me.

It looks like the Analysis plus oval 9 cables are basically a 9 ga. flat copper cable reducing resistance. Considering most 4 ohm speakers work fine with 12 gauge lamp cord to 12', I see no advantage over your BJC 10 ga. Sorry!

Now the Kimber 8tc cables on the other hand reduce inductance by design (not by price or make) since it is made up of insulated braded conductors. If you are very patient you can make these yourself. Reducing inductance can improve transparency providing more detailed highs with some high end speakers like your Aerial 7t's. Bi-wiring speakers with standard speaker cable has the same effect and would be more cost effective then either of those cables, as the bass has it's own path to the speakers. This is why many high end speaker manufactures recommend bi-wiring when applicable.

Typically reducing inductance also increases capacitance in speaker cables. Some amps don't like high capacitance loads and will oscillate possibly frying both the amp and connected speakers in short order. That said I believe the 8tc cables would be fine for most amp/speaker combinations to about 12' lengths.

Last edited:
ive decided to try some new speaker cables in my system, and I’ve narrowed it down to these two. Right now I’ve got bjc 10 ga. cables and they seem fine but the bug has bitten me. I would like some opinions on these two cables. Don’t confuse me with others that are way better for half the price. I’m only interested in these two. My amp is a McIntosh MC452 and the speakers are Aerial 7t’s. Also should I bi-wire or not. Thanks.

Think you could use a "flu" shot in order to cure that bug. (said completely in jest, but that's what came to mind)

Any other opinions from folks that have experience with either of these cables or both. I’m leaning toward the oval 9’s.

I have the Kimber 8TC, 8VS and the 8PR. I actually prefer the 8PR. These cables really bring out the lower bass frequencies. The 8PRs are actually cheaper than the other two cables mentioned.

I found a used set of 8tc’s for about half what a new set was and bought them. Hooked them up this morning and have been listening to music for most of the day. I never thought a set of speaker cables could make such a difference in the sound. At first I really noticed the difference, but I wasn’t sure it was an improvement. The more I listened the better it sounded. The sound is fuller and richer with a larger soundstage. I’m the most cynical person you ever met and would have never thought there would be so much difference between high quality speaker cables. I am going to find some Analysis plus oval 9’s to try also.

I'm interested in your further thoughts. I'm looking at both these cables for a move. Quite some time ago I had Blue Jeans cables and, while nice, they were very dull compared to the Morrows that I replaced them with.

I found a good deal on a set of the oval 9’s and ordered them. Looking forward to comparing the two. The bjc were thinner sounding than the 8tc’s.

I got the oval 9’s Wednesday and got them hooked up yesterday. Did a little background listening through the radio but it’s way too early to tell anything. I should have some time for more critical listening in the next few days.

I’ve had both sets of speaker cables for a few weeks and I have to tell you that they both are great. Different but both very enjoyable and both are better than the bjc ones. The Kimbers May be a little cleaner sounding but the Oval 9’s are more organic and fuller sounding. I keep switching back and forth and can’t decide which ones to keep.

At this time after switching back and forth several times I put the Kimbers in the drawer and am staying with the oval 9’s. Both were very nice, but the 9’s did it for me.
Thanks for the update! Now I want to try the Oval 9s, but then I'm going to want to try the Analysis Plus ICs too! The horror!:yikes:

Back
Top Bottom