Any body ever hear of Crown speakers?

hardrock94

Got a chance to buy some crown speakers,don't know model. 3-way,10 inch drivers. Has anyone herd,or know any thing about them? any info greatly appericated. Thanks

Crown USA, they made expensive speakers iirc. I did listen to some in Toronto in 1974 so I don't recall how good they were. It seems to me they may even have built some electrostatics but Crown experts will confirm this.

3 10" woofers in a single cabinet per speaker would indicate Crown USA's speakers. They should have electrostatic treble panels, which I believe, were made by Jantzen.

Crown made a few models but had relatively few dealers who stocked them. I worked for a Crown dealer but we didn't stock the speakers as they were quite expensive, quite large and the carrying costs of stocking them didn't make sense. I always wanted to hear some. Loved my Crown tape deck, though.

Cheers,

David

:music: Hey everyone,just got back from looking at the Crown speakers. Not bad,heavy cabinets,looks like real wood. Blonde looking,nice. 1-10 inch driver, 1-4 inch mid, 1-tweeter. Still don't know model,could not find any # any where. All speakers look prety good, 1 woofer has small split in the surround. Didn't here what they sounded like,had nothing to hook up to. Going back,taking my KR-6600,to hook them up to. He is asking $100.00,for them. Are they worth that? Gota go,results of sound check later.

Crown speakers

Doesn't sound like Crown Audio units.

Yes, they made the ES-212, which featured electrostatic drivers in the top cabinet and 2 Ten-inch long-throw woofers in the bottom cabinet.

They also made C-4 and C-8 models.

The C-4 has 1 10-inch woofer, 1 5-inch midrange and 2 tweeters, a 2 1/4" unit and a 2 1/2" unit.

The C-8 has 2 10-inch woofers, 2 5-inch midranges and 4 tweeters, 2 2 1/4" units and 2 2 1/2" units. This model is essentially a "double" version of the C-4 and I have a pair of these.

It would seem that if they were C-4 units, it would be rather noticeable that there were two tweeters, but one never knows! :scratch2:

Crown/USA had the following:
73-78 C-4/$296. pair
73-74 C-8/$500. pair
73-77 ES-2-12 $1,200. pair
73-74 ES-2-24 $2,330. pair
72-73 ES-14 $670. pair
73-74 ES-26 $990. pair

Crown used electrostatic elements from RTR. Likely 'bright', maybe even hard and etched. That is, if they are still working.

Bob berkman (4 panels of KLH 9 electrostatics, & a pair of Marantz 9's to power)

Crown speakers.

Hey everyone, you know what,they don't sound bad. If I could grt togather with the owner on price,I'D buy them. Owner says he bought them in 1972,only markings,or badges on them,is in the lower left corner of the grille. Crown badge. By the way,there is only one tweeter,and it is 2.5 inch. Also they are a sealed enclosure.I made an offer of $60.00,are they worth that? Thanks for all the help, and info,Dave.:yes:

Crown or not?

I'm not going to say that Crown didn't make a speaker matching your description, just not familiar with it.

Does the Crown logo match the one in the attachment?

My Crown C-8 Speakers definitely have the Crown name on the rear panel.

And besides, if they sound good to you, wouldn't they be worth $60.00 to you regardless of who made them? :scratch2:

http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/speakers/C_4cutsheet.pdf

Crown speakers.

70 salesguy, they look exactly like the picture in your attachment. Only difference I could see,is the badge is on the top left,not the bottom left. Even the grilles as best you can see,look like these. Made out of tweed or something,like that. He's supposed to call me Sunday,let me know if he'll take my offer. If so,I'll take lots of pic's so you can see. Thanks Again.:banana:

The editor of one of the Aussie Hi-Fi mags had a pair of Crown electrostats in the 1970s.

He liked using them because they caused some amplifiers no end of trouble.In other words as a means to weed-out the insipid amps which lacked the ability to drive anything beyond a dummy load.

Back
Top Bottom