Any Indianapolis audiophiles?

Hey I'm new on here and I've lived in Indy all my life. Just started using my father's old Marantz stereo system from the 80s this year and I'm hooked. I just ordered a new power amp to improve my system and I can't wait to improve it with better gear. I'm always willing to talk to others about this type of stuff.

Many of us start out the same way. Mine was my Uncle's Fisher 800B that he bought new back in 1962. My interest got sparked again when my brother gave me a beat up Marantz 2245 about 5 years ago.

I haven't put much effort in searching for an audio club here in Indy, but hopefully one will pop up. Organizing and hosting one is a lot of work - the RCA Club in San Antonio took a lot of effort on the part of quite a few people to keep it going. We would hold the club meetings in a local A/V store, plus folks would host smaller events at their homes.

Welcome CoryS06 . The old gear is the best . Nothing sounds quite like them .

Yes I would agree. I can't wait to get the Carver PM 350 I just got, all hooked up and ready to go. It's 30 years old but will still have my speakers sounding amazing

Thanks for the reply Luka. I've got a couple of record stores near me that I have yet to visit - maybe I'll find something there as you suggest. I Don't know of any technicians in the area yet, but I have noticed that there is a shop called Brownsburg Guitar (in Brownsburg) who has a bunch of vintage amplifiers posted on Craisglist for sale - maybe they would be of help? Just search for "vintage stereo record players" and you'll fined them. (I have never contacted them, just saw their postings on C-List.)

Brownsburg Guitar is now called Getchell Amplifier. A lot of need vintage gear in there. Owner seems like a nice guy.

Yeah I was in there 2 weeks ago looking around and asking questions. a lot of great stuff in there but most of it, way out my price range.

They had deals on some items. Had a few nice vintage McIntosh amps for $800+. Some turntables were high but they were rare so those prices were justified. They had a nice set of Carver Amazing Speakers for $1,500. And if you have a tube amp, they have a wide range of tubes to buy as well.

Google hasnt changed us yet, but Getchell Amplifier Co is my shop :) feel free to check out Getchell Amplifiers on Facebook too. Peddling one's own business on here is frowned upon so I try not to self promote :) I'm a hobbyist as well as a part of this community...of you ever need help with anything feel free to message me!

Google hasnt changed us yet, but Getchell Amplifier Co is my shop :) feel free to check out Getchell Amplifiers on Facebook too. Peddling one's own business on here is frowned upon so I try not to self promote :) I'm a hobbyist as well as a part of this community...of you ever need help with anything feel free to message me!

Thanks for the help a couple of weeks ago. I was the guy that came in looking for a Power Amp that did over 100 wpc. Learned a lot the brief time I was there with you at the shop

Many of us start out the same way. Mine was my Uncle's Fisher 800B that he bought new back in 1962. My interest got sparked again when my brother gave me a beat up Marantz 2245 about 5 years ago.

I haven't put much effort in searching for an audio club here in Indy, but hopefully one will pop up. Organizing and hosting one is a lot of work - the RCA Club in San Antonio took a lot of effort on the part of quite a few people to keep it going. We would hold the club meetings in a local A/V store, plus folks would host smaller events at their homes.
I'd be more than willing to host such an event at our shop! :) As it is, a small local group of audiophiles and vintage audio collectors get together in the brownsburg area every month or so for show and tell and listening to music and different systems, it's a blast!

Last edited:
I'd be more than willing to host such an event at our shop! :) As it is, a small local group of audiophiles and vintage audio collectors get together in the brownsburg area every month or so for show and tell and listening to music and different systems, it's a blast!

That's exactly what I was hoping to find. Just a good group of folks that are passionate about audio and like to share music and audio gear that they find interesting. Is this event that is open to new attendees?

There are lots of audiophiles in central Indy and some of us get together to check out each others gear and such. I don't know of any audio "clubs" in the area, but we try to have audio parties every now and then. Send me a PM if you wish to discuss. BTW...Getchell Amplifiers rocks!

I know that dude!

spicoliinfasttimesatridgemonthigh1.jpg

The "events" are more informal/casual fun meets, rather loosely organized...this IS all about fun, right? I know sometimes people are a little leery of meeting new people in their own home, our shop is a great place to meet up and socialize first though.

The "events" are more informal/casual fun meets, rather loosely organized...this IS all about fun, right? I know sometimes people are a little leery of meeting new people in their own home, our shop is a great place to meet up and socialize first though.

I might be interested in attending one sometime if they are open to new people.

i am in fishers and would love to hear some nice systems. ovation audio was at one time a great dealer but they are under new owners and regrouping i hear. i think indy is a bit slow for this stuff imo.

i am in fishers and would love to hear some nice systems. ovation audio was at one time a great dealer but they are under new owners and regrouping i hear. i think indy is a bit slow for this stuff imo.

About the only storefronts around Indy that I am aware of (besides Ovation) is Audio Solutions in Broad Ripple and Getchell Amplifiers in Brownsburg. The former is an excellent place to see/hear very high-end new gear and they also have a small amount of trade-ins. The later has only vintage audio and guitar amps and the prices are more affordable. Send me a PM if you you want to come over to check out my collection sometime.

Hey gguillot,
Seems like I'm a Little late to the party but has anything become of this? I live in Fort Wayne Indiana (about 2hrs north of Indy) and I am very interested in finding or starting a club for like minded individuals to get together and hangout.
You can count me in if there one that starts ups. I'm in New Haven, IN.

I'm no collector, but I've been listening carefully for 50 years. It would be nice to share sounds. None of my friends/acquaintances/relatives give a hoot. Going to Getchell Amplifiers in Brownsburg is like stepping into a time warp.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom