Any Indianapolis audiophiles?

Bobby has done wonders to the showroom of his shop and he is always willing to take the time to talk audio when I drop buy (which is often). Walking into his store is almost like going back in time to the stereo shops that I used to frequent as a teen in the mid to late seventies. We are very blessed that folks like Bobby are keeping the flame alive for us.

Hi everyone, My name is Chris and actually just purchased my first vintage system from Bobby. It is and Onkyo tk-3000 with some DLK 1 1/2 speakers. He was very knowledgeable and was able to get me started on the hobby on a small budget. I would love to go to a meet up if someone hosted one.

Just moved to Indy from San Antonio, where there is a great audio club (RCA - River City Audio Society.) Looking for the same type of like minded folk sharing music and equipment interests. Anything here in Indy? If not, any interest in forming a club?

I actually just moved to San Antonio, and found this thread when I was searching for meets in SA. All I can find for the RCAS is a Facebook page though, and I don't have Facebook. Do you recall if there's another way to reach them or find information?

I actually just moved to San Antonio, and found this thread when I was searching for meets in SA. All I can find for the RCAS is a Facebook page though, and I don't have Facebook. Do you recall if there's another way to reach them or find information?

Hi JordanVA,

Congrats on your move! San Antonio is a great town! I think you'll really enjoy the guys in the RCAS. They are having their annual BBQ this weekend. Anyway, you can communicate with them via the Yahoo Groups site - (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/rivercityaudiosociety/info).
Its a little old school, but it works well to get the word out about events. Tell them Greg sent you!

Hi everyone, My name is Chris and actually just purchased my first vintage system from Bobby. It is and Onkyo tk-3000 with some DLK 1 1/2 speakers. He was very knowledgeable and was able to get me started on the hobby on a small budget. I would love to go to a meet up if someone hosted one.

Hi Stanley88,

How's that new system sounding? I haven't been out to Bobby's shop yet, but I hear good things about it. My problem is I know I won't leave there empty handed. :D

Hi JordanVA,

Congrats on your move! San Antonio is a great town! I think you'll really enjoy the guys in the RCAS. They are having their annual BBQ this weekend. Anyway, you can communicate with them via the Yahoo Groups site - (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/rivercityaudiosociety/info).
Its a little old school, but it works well to get the word out about events. Tell them Greg sent you!
Thanks Greg! I appreciate the info!

Hey guys,

I was just curious whatever became of this thread. Just an addict looking for his audio fix. :p

Hi Jake,

There are a few folks around Indy that get together every now and then. I see this is your first post on AK. Why don't you introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about your audio interests and your current setup...

IMG_0842.JPG IMG_0843.JPG IMG_0845.JPG IMG_0846.JPG IMG_0847.JPG IMG_0848.JPG
Thanks for the reply Luka. I've got a couple of record stores near me that I have yet to visit - maybe I'll find something there as you suggest. I Don't know of any technicians in the area yet, but I have noticed that there is a shop called Brownsburg Guitar (in Brownsburg) who has a bunch of vintage amplifiers posted on Craisglist for sale - maybe they would be of help? Just search for "vintage stereo record players" and you'll fined them. (I have never contacted them, just saw their postings on C-List.)

I am not in Indy but have been to the Brownsburg store. I think the owner is also the tech. The place is pretty awesome and worth a visit.

Attachments

• IMG_0844.JPG
    IMG_0844.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Hi Jake,

There are a few folks around Indy that get together every now and then. I see this is your first post on AK. Why don't you introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about your audio interests and your current setup...

Hey Guys,

I've only been in Indy for about 2 years, but I have made the pilgrimage to Getchell's a few times already.
Actually I've been meaning to take a few old pre-amps up there for Bobby to look at.

My current project is to restore an old pair of HPM-100's I got from my dad. About half the speakers are toast so it's more of a scavenger hunt to fix it on a reasonable budget.

My system:

Preamp: Emotiva UMC-1
Power Amp: Emotiva XPA-2 2nd Gen
Speakers: Tekton Pendragon (8 Ohm)
Digital Source: Tidal via Chromecast or via HDMI on my Macbook pro (if I'm feeling fancy)
Analog Sources: Teac X1000R Reel to Reel, Technics SL-D2 turntable with Stanton 881S Cartridge and needle, and a Yamaha K-1000 Cassette Deck

All my analog stuff runs through my processors since all my tapes are encoded with DBX I or II.

Processors: BSR EQ-3000 Equalizer, DBX 3BX series two 3 band dynamic range expander, DBX 224 Type II noise reduction system (for DBX II tapes)

Other: Emotiva XPS-1 Phono preamp (since my UMC-1 doesn't have a phono section)

What are you guys rockin with?

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I've only been in Indy for about 2 years, but I have made the pilgrimage to Getchell's a few times already.
Actually I've been meaning to take a few old pre-amps up there for Bobby to look at.

My current project is to restore an old pair of HPM-100's I got from my dad. About half the speakers are toast so it's more of a scavenger hunt to fix it on a reasonable budget.

My system:

Preamp: Emotiva UMC-1
Power Amp: Emotiva XPA-2 2nd Gen
Speakers: Tekton Pendragon (8 Ohm)
Digital Source: Tidal via Chromecast or via HDMI on my Macbook pro (if I'm feeling fancy)
Analog Sources: Teac X1000R Reel to Reel, Technics SL-D2 turntable with Stanton 881S Cartridge and needle, and a Yamaha K-1000 Cassette Deck

All my analog stuff runs through my processors since all my tapes are encoded with DBX I or II.

Processors: BSR EQ-3000 Equalizer, DBX 3BX series two 3 band dynamic range expander, DBX 224 Type II noise reduction system (for DBX II tapes)

Other: Emotiva XPS-1 Phono preamp (since my UMC-1 doesn't have a phono section)

What are you guys rockin with?

Hi Jake,

I'm fairly new to Indy myself (moved here the summer of 2016.) That's quite a nice setup you have there - how do you like the Pendragons? I've hear many good things about them. I've got a friend back in San Antonio running nearly the same Emotiva stack that you have with some Monitor Audio Gold speakers and it sounds terrific.
I am running a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum for amplification to a pair of Totem Acoustic Hawks and a Monitor Audio ASW210 sub. I've been trying out a few different DAC's and am currently waiting on an Yggdrasil (backorded unti end of June!). I use Roon/Tidal for digital music and have a Technics Sl-1600Mk2 and a refurbished AR XA for analog.

There's quite a few folks around Indy who are on AK and chat about gear from time to time. Hopefully they'll chime in.

Hi Jake,

I'm fairly new to Indy myself (moved here the summer of 2016.) That's quite a nice setup you have there - how do you like the Pendragons? I've hear many good things about them. I've got a friend back in San Antonio running nearly the same Emotiva stack that you have with some Monitor Audio Gold speakers and it sounds terrific.
I am running a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum for amplification to a pair of Totem Acoustic Hawks and a Monitor Audio ASW210 sub. I've been trying out a few different DAC's and am currently waiting on an Yggdrasil (backorded unti end of June!). I use Roon/Tidal for digital music and have a Technics Sl-1600Mk2 and a refurbished AR XA for analog.

There's quite a few folks around Indy who are on AK and chat about gear from time to time. Hopefully they'll chime in.

Very Nice! I hadn't heard about the Totem Acoustics before.

The Pendragons as sweet, but they are a little bright for my taste. I think it's more due to the size of my listening room though.
They're great for jazz and swing music or anything that's heavily instrumental though. At times the vocals almost remind me of a pair of Magnepans I heard once.
I'm not terribly fond of my Emotiva preamp though. It's a bit... slow. I'm open to some suggestions for a new preamp if you have any recommendations. The power amp is great though.
Also, Do you know of any digital equalizers out there? I really hate using the one built into my UMC.

Back
Top Bottom