Any Land Rover Defender fans?

spartree

I don’t own one, but have driven them and am seriously considering buying within the next year or so. I’m aware they can be a bit of a labour of love, but my wife and I rented one on our last trip to Iceland and it was a lot of fun. We did the F208 road, which had MANY river crossings and quite difficult terrain at times, but the Defender was a champ.

My last SUV was a Discovery II which I also really enjoyed. The thing ran forever and the only reason I got rid of it was because my job took me abroad this past year.

I’m also assuming the new “Defender” will be a supreme disappointment with respect to style. So I figure my best option is to go for a fully restored vehicle and import it when I return to Canada (must be at least 15 years old to import).

So, any Defender lovers/haters out there?

2YtjgDi.jpg

Check the frame as they are thin and can rust through. Found this out in a 4WD magazine from the US that showed a nice one restored in the US. They mentioned the frame had been replaced with a galvanized steel one so I googled that! There are a number of sources for replacement frames so they must be an issue.

Check the frame as they are thin and can rust through. Found this out in a 4WD magazine from the US that showed a nice one restored in the US. They mentioned the frame had been replaced with a galvanized steel one so I googled that! There are a number of sources for replacement frames so they must be an issue.

Thanks for the note. Rusty chassis and bulkhead are definitely known issues with this vehicle. The reputable restoration outfits ensure a good chassis with proper rust treatment, sometimes galvanized as you mention.

I've always like what Icon Motors does. Basically, they take iconic vehicles and rebuild them for the modern age.
Here is their Defender. I'm sure the cost is astronomical, and may not appeal to die hard fans who want things to be all original. Either way, the videos are pretty fun and educational.

I've always like what Icon Motors does. Basically, they take iconic vehicles and rebuild them for the modern age.
Here is their Defender. I'm sure the cost is astronomical, and may not appeal to die hard fans who want things to be all original. Either way, the videos are pretty fun and educational.

Icon does some nice stuff, but their pricing is...prohibitive. I like what The Landrovers are doing with their 110 builds.

https://www.the-landrovers.com/

jy6IG6b.jpg

More people don't know that the only steel on the series body is the firewall and frame. The rest is aluminum.

We had an '88 Range Rover. My wife really loved it. Practically indestructible. Ran it for over 250,000 miles until the rust became bothersome, then gave it to a friend's son, who ran it in the woods for a few more years. He would take it places the Jeeps and other 4wds wouldn't even try. Never broke, and never got stuck. The transfer case was gear driven, making it almost impossible to break. Yes it could be expensive to repair, but worth it IMHO. One strange thing was that the odometer broke at 100,000 miles. Twice. But then the door latches were adjustable for wear. Sort of balances out.

Always loved the Defenders, and the Series Land Rovers. With a military background, they should be tough vehicles. One more thing, when they launched the Range Rover in the US they took a couple on a test drive. Along the Continental Divide. I remember reading a car magazine article describing a Jeep tour that was halted on a mountainside road so the Rovers could drive across the road heading down the hill. The general consensus by the Jeep drivers was I've got to get me one of those. :)

Good luck with your search.

Our family has a '97 D90 with only 27K miles. We wouldn't trade it for anything. A dealer brought by the house a nice convertible (shown below with our D90 tucked safely in the garage) last year and wanted us to "trade up". Not a chance was the response. One of the most practical vehicles ever made. My daughter's Jeep takes a well-earned 2nd in my book.
gg.JPG

Our family has a '97 D90 with only 27K miles. We wouldn't trade it for anything.

With all due respects, a Yugo was a good car if you parked it in the garage and never drove it!:cool:

My neighbor loves Land Rovers. He has/had a hookup with a few insurance companies to buy any and all wrecks they have. He could make more money selling used parts off a Land Rover than he could 10 Corvettes.

Drove a diesel 'pickup-body' 110 in Belize about ten years ago. Family 'rainforest' outing, with a tour of about 20 folks in 3-4 25-year-old machines. Everyone divided up, then the tour operator said, "Ok, who is driving?" Folks looked at each other and shook their heads, while I stepped up and selflessly volunteered. Tour wasn't advertised as self-drive, and this was over wet, slimy, muddy paths that would have been very tough going on foot, due to exposed tree roots, stumps, and rocks. Had a blast, even though it was necessarily slow. No seat belts, totally open top, no roll bars or cage. Manual transmission, so all was as it was meant to be. They never got close to being stuck.

Since then, I've done two Land Rover obstacle courses at regional race tracks, driving the latest models. Cameras everywhere, stability/traction control -- quite a machine. Still doesn't beat the Belize experience, though.

One day, I'll own one. Won't be this week, though...

I DO NOT LIKE THEM!!! I spent almost 3 years importing them from the Danish government and elsewhere in Europe via a shop in Poland. Those and 2 door Mercedes suvs.

Cool little trucks that go for stupid expensive money (i dig them... just still have nightmares over jumping through the Motor Vehicle's hoops to get US titles issued!)

One year after I started this thread, and the new Defender is about as silly looking as we all thought it would be. I’m working with an importer now and have an 01-2005 lined up for my return to Canada this February. So it begins!

Back
Top Bottom