Any Nikonese out there?

cruisaire

PGA and Rainwater!
I have (over the course of time) picked up a used N2000, N6006, F50D, N70, FG, and an EM. I previously used a little point 'n shoot Nikon and currently have a Coolpix 880 for the wife to use. Anyone else really enjoy the Nikon product?

PS Almost forgot my waterproof binocs, yes they are Nikon as well and really great little field specs.

Last edited:
We have a Nikkormat FtN that's still a great camera. When we went to Alaska a few years back (pre-digital), all the modern, automatic 'point 'n' shoot' cameras failed after a few days from the humidity -- the Nikkormat rolled along.

I like their digital cameras, too. Got my son a 3200(?) 3 MP for Christmas last year -- liked it so much we got a 5600 (?) 5 MP for our daughter's 21st birthday this spring. Small, inexpensive, but they take nice photos and operate very intuitively. The ONLY bad thing I'll say about them is that they use a weird proprietary USB connector at the camera end -- apparently to save space on the teeny-tiny bodies of the cameras. The 5MP is even smaller than the previous line's 3MP!

I used a N2000 for years. Great camera, I sold it last year and bought an N80. Now I wish I had kept the N2000 for a backup.

I still use as my main camera the venerable Nikon FE-2,,,tremednous machine!

I guess I'm one. I own 9 Nikon 35mm SLR's but, I never have time to play with them any more and I can't find the darkroom equipment under all the dust :cry: Lately, I just grab my fuji digital and go.

Clyde

A venerable (1981) and fully functional, bonafide Nikon FM with three lenses (24mm, 50mm, 105mm) and motor drive, still in use occasionally, great stuff!

I was the most diehard Nikon fan there was, my dad had a FTN, then an F2S. I had a Nikkomat FTN, yes Nikkomat, from Japan. I could recite every option in Nikon's inventory, motor drives, 250 shot external backs, 6mm Fisheye, viewfinders, you name it, even the medical lenses and flashes. Now I have a Minolta only because it was the best bang for the buck at the time.

Nostalgia Nikkormat

Had a Nikkormat FTn for a few years in high school / college; sold it in '73 when I fell in love with the Olympus OM system.

<flash forward 25 years>

Discovered ePrey and decided to have the Nikkormat system I could never afford in High School, so, at pretty much the peak of the used Nikon prices I bought a Nikkormat FS (no meter) + 28, 50, 55 Micro, 105, 200 & 43~86 Nikkors. I've actually used 'em all in one way or another. Then, recently prices seemed to have tanked, and I caved in for one more lens -- a gorgeous 300mm f/4.5 Nikkor I got from Cameta Camera for $79.

I still use 'em with Ektachrome & Ilford SP2 -- only now I have a digital darkroom. I don't see much wrong with 'em up to 11 x 17 prints (well, except for the 43~86, an early version, which is a real POS).

All in all a great company that has stood by its customers over time -- the basic Nikon lens mount was unchanged for a long, long time.

Steve A.

Nikon totally rules. The cameras are built tough and do fine work. Design philosophy gives great command accuracy to the photographer. I've had an F4 for years, and just last year bought a D70. Fantastic cameras! Between Nikon and McIntosh, I feel like I live in a world tailored to my every want.

For example:
sunset.jpg
. The picture was taken with a D70 of the solstice sunset a few weeks ago. A very difficult image to make well.

I picked up an FT2 Nikkormat with 24mm lense and a Nikomat FT with 50mm lense at the thrift stores. I recently sold the FT2 to a guy at work who is into them. The Nikomat I can't get to operate. It looks as though it was dropped and now doesn't fire. It winds but no shutter release. I was planning on putting it up for parts on ebay and the lenses up for auction seperately. I also have a Nikon case for the Nikomat. I am looking to fund a new digital camera. Can't make up my mind to buy one for a couple hundred or dig deep and get an SLR digital. I have seen some used ones on ebay for under $500. Nikons too.

If anyone knows how to unstick the Nikomat or interested in anything before I send them off to auction let me know.

Bo

The wife runs the N-90-S and just got our Big Easy prints back today.She is a black and white fanatic.She has a couple of other camera bodies that are Nikons and she is toying with a nice Nikon Digital.It helps pay the bills.

For over 20 years I've had an F3/MD4, Nikkor 24/2.0, 50/1.4, 80-200/4.0, 500/8.0 and SB-16 flash. I've always loved this system, but tomorrow I cross over to the dark side and the Nikon gear is headed to Ebay. Tommorow afternoon, I'm scheduled to pick up my order for a Canon Digital Rebel XT, 17-40/4.0L, 70-200/4.0L, 1.4X TC and 420EX flash. The bottom line for me was the incompatibility of my Nikkor lenses with any of the digital Nikons and the inescapable fact that Nikon is currently behind the curve in both digital camera and lens development (at least in range of products if not absolute levels of technology).

Even though I've made a personal decision to go Canon, I truly hope that Nikon closes the gap. The dslr market needs more competition amongst strong players.

Wow Don that rig with the L lenses must be setting ya back a few sawbucks. It's too bad the Nikon digitals aren't compatible with those older Nikkor lenses. Better sell quick, the market is tanking for all but the most desirable old SLR gear.

Mike

It's not as bad as I would have thought. The two zooms are considered the best value lenses that Canon makes in the L series at around $800cdn each. The reviews I've read indicate that they are amongst Canon's sharpest lenses, but by accepting a one stop lower speed (F4 vs F2.8), they are up to 1/3 the cost of the TOTL versions. I wrote up a tender to the three major Canadian internet retailers and a couple of locals. The winning bid (a local dealer) was 15% less than the internet dealers.

I've been using Nikon since 1964, and professional since 1968 as a photojournalist; I've owned many models and still have lots of "old" lens along with a few F2 bodies that I've put so many rolls through them, I can't even think of selling them; they become part of the family.
I now shoot nothing but digital, with a 995 for Happy Snaps, a D1x and a D2x, and various lens.
I'm sorry to hear that Don has gone to the dark side w/ Cannon, but I'll put out an image that doesn't matter what camera shot it, but I know, and I prefer Nikon; they've made me a good living for over 30 yrs. ( plus a little skill and luck ), but you have to look far and wide to find a finer camera than today's D2x for features and image quality, but of coarse, your mileage may vary.
I must admit that I totally agree that like another member stated, between my Macintosh computers and Nikon digital cameras, I couldn't get much more happy unless they went out and shot the photos for me! I know Windows seems to be the computer of choice here at AK, but I'd never be able to do what I do if I had to rely on Windows.

Back
Top Bottom