Anybody own a Cambridge Soundworks model 88CD?

centaurus3200

Does anyone here have either the Cambridge Soundworks model 88 or 88CD?

I've have the original 88 (the "clockless radio") and recently found the later 88CD with the cd player and the clock.

Question... Were there different variations of the 88CD? an online manual says the 3.5mm jack is for a mixer input or something... Sounded like it was a constant level input. So the volume wouldn't work, but you could control that with an iPad...

My version just says AM antenna input and the manual has no mention of a mixer input. I tried it... There was only faint sound coming from it.

I wanted to plug my mpow streambot into the 3.5mm jack like I can with my original model 88. Looks more tidy than using a splitter cable.

And what's with removing the internal AM antenna on the 88cd? Also kind of a step backwards?

The 88 CD seems to have more complexity than the simple, primitave, plain vanilla Model 88.

Here's a link to a copy of the owners manual. Keep in mind that these haven't been manufacturered on well over fifteen years and ther's no telling what could have happened to your particular unit.

http://sethc23.github.io/wiki/Manuals/model88cd.pdf

I've have the original 88 (the "clockless radio") and recently found the later 88CD with the cd player and the clock.

Question... Were there different variations of the 88CD? an online manual says the 3.5mm jack is for a mixer input or something... Sounded like it was a constant level input. So the volume wouldn't work, but you could control that with an iPad...

My version just says AM antenna input and the manual has no mention of a mixer input. I tried it... There was only faint sound coming from it.

I wanted to plug my mpow streambot into the 3.5mm jack like I can with my original model 88. Looks more tidy than using a splitter cable.

And what's with removing the internal AM antenna on the 88cd? Also kind of a step backwards?
Hello

My name is Fred Pinkerton. I was the product manager for Cambridge SoundWorks. I managed the Model 88CD project for CSW.
I don't know if anyone will see this response, but here goes:

QUESTION:
Were there different variations of the 88CD?
FP says: No-just the original 88 and 88CD. CSW later replaced it with entirely new radios, the 730 and 740. These were "2.1" style products with more features.

QUESTION: an online manual says the 3.5mm jack is for a mixer input or something... Sounded like it was a constant level input. So the volume wouldn't work, but you could control that with an iPad...
FP says: This input was controlled by the main volume control. It's relative level with the AUX input had to be adjusted at the source.

QUESTION: And what's with removing the internal AM antenna on the 88cd?
FP says: The 88 and 88CD did have ferrite rod AM antennas. Don't know why you think otherwise. The instruction show that rotating the radio can improve the AM reception on any specific station.
On subsequent radios (730 740 etc) we went to an external AM antenna because it was clearly better than the internal ferrite rod.

STATEMENT: My version just says AM antenna input and the manual has no mention of a mixer input. I tried it... There was only faint sound coming from it.
FP says: This sounds like you have a 730 or 740 radio. These radios came with a two conductor minijack input for an included AM loop antenna.
The separate antenna gave these radios much better AM performance. The 88 and 88CD needed fairly strong AM signals for acceptable signal to noise performance.

Welcome Fred. Your insights will be greatly appecited.

What I like (liked?) about the Model 88 (no CD) was, along with it's great performance and sound) was the stark simplicity of the unit and the fact it could be paired with anything with an output. Once the Iphone stuff started appearing, it became more complex and, as I've said somewhere, if a unit has a mechanical component, odds are it will eventually fail and need service That brings up the issue of parts availability.

IMNSHO, you guys knocked it out of the park in that era.

Throwing this out there, in the event someone else finds this post as I did. I've paired Amazon Echos (vs 2 and 3) to my old 88 CD and it works a treat.

Just need the right adapter cable ;-)

Throwing this out there, in the event someone else finds this post as I did. I've paired Amazon Echos (vs 2 and 3) to my old 88 CD and it works a treat.

Just need the right adapter cable ;-)
Which cable would that be?
Am thinking of getting an 88 cd.

Hello

My name is Fred Pinkerton. I was the product manager for Cambridge SoundWorks. I managed the Model 88CD project for CSW.
I don't know if anyone will see this response, but here goes:

QUESTION:
Were there different variations of the 88CD?
FP says: No-just the original 88 and 88CD. CSW later replaced it with entirely new radios, the 730 and 740. These were "2.1" style products with more features.

QUESTION: an online manual says the 3.5mm jack is for a mixer input or something... Sounded like it was a constant level input. So the volume wouldn't work, but you could control that with an iPad...
FP says: This input was controlled by the main volume control. It's relative level with the AUX input had to be adjusted at the source.

QUESTION: And what's with removing the internal AM antenna on the 88cd?
FP says: The 88 and 88CD did have ferrite rod AM antennas. Don't know why you think otherwise. The instruction show that rotating the radio can improve the AM reception on any specific station.
On subsequent radios (730 740 etc) we went to an external AM antenna because it was clearly better than the internal ferrite rod.

STATEMENT: My version just says AM antenna input and the manual has no mention of a mixer input. I tried it... There was only faint sound coming from it.
FP says: This sounds like you have a 730 or 740 radio. These radios came with a two conductor minijack input for an included AM loop antenna.
The separate antenna gave these radios much better AM performance. The 88 and 88CD needed fairly strong AM signals for acceptable signal to noise performance.

Hi Fred,

You sound like the person I need to talk to. I have two old Model 88CD which I bought on ebay years ago. They both had the same problem with the cd player--it would start to skip after a certain point on the cd. Sent the units to Cambridge for repair but they came back with the same problem. Any advice you could give me about getting these radios fixed? Thanks.

Bob

Last edited:
I tried to reply to this thread 30 minutes ago, but I provided an incorrect answer. Ignore it if it went through. I confused the "top load" CD mechanism of the Model 88CD with the "slot load" mechanism of the SoundWorks Radio 740 (I developed a lot of audio products at CSW and other companies and they all start to blend together when you're 70). The 740 radio slot load mechanism was made for use in cars. There's the remote possibility that a used replacement part could be found for it. I don't remember the supplier of the top load mechanism of the Model 88CD. It was a Taiwanese company, who eventually purchased the part in China. I can't imagine finding a "replacement" part for this drive. A long shot: the CD mechanism is mostly exposed internally. A skipping drive is more likely a mechanical issue than an electronic one. Here's where my memory could fail me: I believe the 88CD comes apart with screws. I don't think there are any "glued together" enclosure parts. *IF* my own 88CD were skipping, I would take it apart and use canned air to blow out all the areas of the top load drive. If that didn't work, I would carefully lubricate the moving parts of the mechanism, presuming I could see them. After that, I would give up.
I'm sure there's 30 or 40 electronic repair people in the USA who could actually fix this mechanism...but finding that person would be hard and the cost would be high.

My 88CD has worked flawlessly for many years. Does it's work in the garage, now. Although I keep it covered and unplugged when not in use. It was hit by a big power surge a few years ago that fried something. My regular tech fixed it and it's been good to go ever since.

I have the 88CD but the buttons do not work, except for the #5 preset. It turns on with the time. When I press the 5 button, the radio comes on channel 87.9 with static.
Could something have been blown with a power surge? how do I test and fix?

I have one and my son had it with him up in college. He used it with a BT receiver to stream music and it worked great for that. Good sound in a small package. CD player stopped working many years ago tho.

Back
Top Bottom