Anybody own a JBL Paragon?

Old_Man

I'll never be able to afford one, but I'd sure like to read about yours. Anybody getting heavenly audio from a Paragon? I can tell you, Live at Leeds, with a KA 2000, roared like nothing else. Entwistle was SO clear.

The friend sold it and got some Klipsch Heresy, to which I replied: "HERESY, is HERESY." Did not sound as good as the Paragon. Nothing does.

Interesting. Many people on AK have listened to the Paragon, but I don't recall anyone raving about it. Most people think it sounds mediocre at best, and there are plenty of systems that sound way better.

That said, I've never heard one, so I can't voice an opinion either way.

I looked at one about ten years ago. I thought it would be a nice piece of furniture as a buffet in the dining room. I went knowing the condition was fair but could be refinished to excellent condition. And the price was about 25% of a good but not prime unit.
I liked the sound, but it didn't sound as good in the sellers room as it was going to look in my dining room when refinished.
So, I got no Paragon. No regrets.

Sorry y'all think ill of them. Not me. I can't afford one but for me, they are the pinnacle of HIFI sound.

Everyone has the “best flavor” when it comes to audio. I’ve had a lot of high end pieces and think it would be fun to try one out. I have the C34s currently from Jbl and really enjoy them.

As the styling goes well that had me from first sight. But as many others will attest, some other pieces were better. It’s not to slight the paragon but sometimes things are more artistic then ideal for audio.

With their weak bass response, don't expect to play anything with strong -30hz with them. Definitely not the pinnacle of HiFi for me.

Seems to me one of the guys on Lansing Forum had one and he tended to play talk radio through it! (Howard Stern or something equally ludicrous).
Its a signature piece, stunning visually, and quite the collectable - but I can think of a number of pieces I'd prefer that are actually cheaper
A Model 4345 for instance! Or a pair of 4351s or 4355s ... !
(with a room large enough for them and the quality sonics to properly drive them)

There was what was considered a high end stereo store that I used to haunt in the early 1970's. They had a Paragon in their main show (not sound) room. It was explained to me that it was specially ordered by someone in the process of building a new house that was behind schedule. The Paragon arrived before the owner was ready so there it sat. Because of it's size, the arrangement was storage until delivery provided they could have it on display to possibly take orders.

The home builder was having a room especially designed and constructed for it that involved a raised cement "platform" or something where it was going to sit. He was apparently able to live in the house while this was going on but abstained from having speakers to tide him over until his Paragon room was finished. Supposedly he was listening via headphones in the meantime.

The salesman I used to deal with related this person being an eccentric who thought a JBL Paragon was the epitome of loudspeakers and any others were substandard. Therefore the headphones. Said salesman also related his opinion that while a statement piece, less money than what a Paragon cost would buy much better speakers.

Never did get to listen though, Would not have been any point parked in the middle of a large room. I suspect that if the store felt someone was a serious potential customer, they would have arranged a demo but whenever I was there and the Paragon was still present, it was not hooked up.

I'm pretty sure the bulk of manufacturing cost was the furniture aspect.

Sorry y'all think ill of them. Not me. I can't afford one but for me, they are the pinnacle of HIFI sound.
I don't know what they would sound like in a better room than the one I heard them in. For me it was going to cost enough and be inconvenient enough to find out that I took a pass at that time in my life.
If the same deal came again I would give it another shot. In a better room it might come home.

Both the JBL Paragon & Metragon are probably the coolest looking speakers systems ever made! I’m sure they both sound good but they seemed to be a type of “status symbol” of the time. If I could find either for a price I could easily afford I’d buy either in a heartbeat. That’s highly doubtful that it would happen though, the prices of both are outrageous! It would sure make a beautiful TV stand though..

Having that I have actually heard a Paragon in the past I feel comfortable in saying that it is in no way the "pinnacle" of hi-fi. Cool design, sure but not that great in performance. I've had the opportunity to hear the Hartsfields as well and they vastly outshine the Paragon in every way.

Listened to one casually at an estate sale, and was not "wow"ed very much; certainly not enough to top the $8500 bid on it.

The cabinet was beautiful, but suffered from being looked at too closely (like a supermodel closeup that's too close).

Both the JBL Paragon & Metragon are probably the coolest looking speakers systems ever made!
Maybe in a Don Draper, mid-century-modern sort of way, but there have been many cool designs since. I humbly submit the MBL Reference:

72cf84eedcd595bd1764a1e9a7e55d91.jpg

I would love to have one to experiment with. DSP crossover and modern drivers to start...try to hide a subwoofer behind the curved panel. If I win the lotto, I'm on it :thumbsup:

I have never heard a pair, but if they sound wonderful to you that is all that matters... Pick any quality pair of speakers that someone states is their personal favorite, and someone else will state they would not allow them in the house... Very few hobbies as subjective as audio, trust your own ears.

I’ve heard the Metragon, and my impression was it’s a very good console. Having said that, I don’t think any console can hold a candle to properly positioned separate speakers.

But, yes they are cool!

I heard one years ago down in Houston. An art gallery was having a show on mid century modern stuff. They had one set up and playing Jazz and Classical. Gorgeous piece of furniture that sounded nice, but not great.

Using a console stereo is a matter of conveinence over a matter of fidelity for me. Some consoles do it better than others. But having your L/R speakers forever frozen in one position is no good for acoustics/imaging for most rooms. That said my '62 maganvox I used to have was a fine table and I ran a pair of better speakers off of it most of the time.

For me, having a JBL Paragon would be currency to buy other things. Sure is a looker though.

Back
Top Bottom