AT-LP120 Ground solution..

dP86

Hey guys! I'm hoping to just get a quick answer/reassurance. I just purchased an Audio Technica Direct Drive LP120 turntable. I am running it through a vintage Pioneer SX-737. If you aren't already aware, the TT has a built in pre-amp which makes it possible to connect it to the AUX input..It sounds fine, but I feel it does effect the sound a bit. Now, here's my dilemma..Upon running it through the Phono input and switching the TT switch to phono (it doesn't use the pre-amp when switched to Phono) the sound quality, to me, improves BUT it is not grounded (the TT does not have a ground) and I am not hearing any real hiss or hum..Is this okay? Will leaving it not grounded create issues? I've considered buying a ground loop isolator, should I do this?? Thank you for reading!!

Hey guys! I'm hoping to just get a quick answer/reassurance. I just purchased an Audio Technica Direct Drive LP120 turntable. I am running it through a vintage Pioneer SX-737. If you aren't already aware, the TT has a built in pre-amp which makes it possible to connect it to the AUX input..It sounds fine, but I feel it does effect the sound a bit. Now, here's my dilemma..Upon running it through the Phono input and switching the TT switch to phono (it doesn't use the pre-amp when switched to Phono) the sound quality, to me, improves BUT it is not grounded (the TT does not have a ground) and I am not hearing any real hiss or hum..Is this okay? Will leaving it not grounded create issues? I've considered buying a ground loop isolator, should I do this?? Thank you for reading!!

Some TT's are quite adequately grounded through the shield(s) of the phono cables. I actually CREATED a hum by making a ground wire for my LT-640 (manufactured without one). However, my LT-20 (same manufacturer) absolutely requires one.

It is fine. The tonearm ground is attached (common) with one of the signal lead grounds. It's not the most elegant solution, but not entirely uncommon, either. Rega and Thorens are know to have done it on some popular models, too.

I have the original PL-120 and bypass the internal amp for the same reason you said - any real phono stage probably sounds better. :) (One of these days I am going to re-wire the signal path underneath to bypass that board, but my motivation has been low.)

Back
Top Bottom