Audacity (windows) 24 bit record problem fixed

TerryS

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just noticed that the latest versions of Audacity finally claim to have fixed the problem with not actually recording at 24 bits even though it appeared to be selected.

"PortAudio doesn't support 24-bit recording on MME or Windows DirectSound, but from Audacity 2.0.4 onwards, current Audacity releases support 24-bit recording under Windows WASAPI and Windows WDM-KS (assuming 24-bit capable hardware). "

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Audacity_PortAudio_v19

I no longer use Audacity, so I haven't confirmed this, but I know a lot of people do (or would like to) for their needle drops.

For those that don't know, Audacity is a free SW package that allows audio recording and editing. It is very powerful with many great features. But older versions would not record at 24 bits even though the settings seemed to indicate it was. But what you got was 16 bit data padded up with zeros to look like 24 bit data. A lot of people were not aware of this 'feature'.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Terry

I'm attempting to get 'in' to recording vinyl to CD format. Right now, I have only a lap-top.....and no interface device. I started with a small unit from BestBuy.... but it wouldn't even get recognized by my PC. So, purchased a USBTT from NuMark, but honestly, I didn't want to risk my records on that TT. And, software again didn't seem to load properly.....and I couldn't get an actual 'recording' from the record to my Laptop. So, returned that unit, and have now ordered something from ION called a 'Vinyl Forever' device. Again, another interface that will allow me to use my TT....and ION assures me it WILL work w/ Windows 7 on my laptop (which is PC based, not MAC). Anyway..... I could use some advice about what to do next here.......so any words of instruction would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks, Tom D.

A Behringer UFO-202 @ $39 is IMO a better device. It serves as a DAC/ADC and phono preamp. Connect it to your TT and PC (laptop or desktop) using a USB port. It will install itself automatically and needs no other drivers.

I recommend Audacity for the actual recording software.

FWIW: I own a Behringer UCA222

Is this Behringer device something that can be purchased from a place like Guitar Center? WC

Got it...... I'll pick one up and give it a shot. As to the Audacity software, is that a 'free' down-load off the internet.....or does it come w/ the Behringer unit, or what? WC

A Behringer UFO-202 @ $39 is IMO a better device. It serves as a DAC/ADC and phono preamp. Connect it to your TT and PC (laptop or desktop) using a USB port. It will install itself automatically and needs no other drivers.

I recommend Audacity for the actual recording software.

FWIW: I own a Behringer UCA222

I second this motion. I have a UCA202 (supposedly the same, only older) and Audacity. Simple. I had zero problems recording and editing. And I should say this was the very first attempt I ever made putting vinyl on my PC.

Even an old dude like me can do it. :D

Audacity usually comes with Behringer devices as part of the included software package. However, the included version may not be the latest and greatest.

While this discourse has been going on I've downloaded and installed the latest version of Audacity.

I second this motion. I have a UCA202 (supposedly the same, only older) and Audacity. Simple. I had zero problems recording and editing. And I should say this was the very first attempt I ever made putting vinyl on my PC.

Even an old dude like me can do it. :D

The UFO-202 includes a phone preamp that's switchable to line level. The UCA202/222 have only a line level input. The only difference between the UCA 202 and UCA222 is the color of the case. The 222 has a Red case. The molded in label on my UCA222 actually says UCA202

The UFO-202 includes a phone preamp that's switchable to line level. The UCA202/222 have only a line level input. The only difference between the UCA 202 and UCA222 is the color of the case. The 222 has a Red case. The molded in label on my UCA222 actually says UCA202

Yup, I meant the 222, sorry if I created any confusion. :thmbsp:

Just came across the ART USB Phono Plus unit while shopping for the Behringer. Any comments on that unit? I've used ART's stuff in the past.....and found it to be really nice! I believe I still have one of their little digital reverb units left over from my guitar-playing days. This unit is $80 shipped....... the Behringer is about $60 got. The ART looks a LOT more versatile. Comments? BTW, downloaded Audacity 2.0.1 today...... now I just need something to get me going 'hardware' wise. WC

Audacity 2.0.5 is the latest. 2.0.1 definitely still won't record at 24 bits on a windows machine if that matters to you.

Terry

Just came across the ART USB Phono Plus unit while shopping for the Behringer. Any comments on that unit? I've used ART's stuff in the past.....and found it to be really nice! I believe I still have one of their little digital reverb units left over from my guitar-playing days. This unit is $80 shipped....... the Behringer is about $60 got. The ART looks a LOT more versatile. Comments? BTW, downloaded Audacity 2.0.1 today...... now I just need something to get me going 'hardware' wise. WC

I've no experience with it but it certainly seems to have more flexibility than the Behringer. I would have investigated it had I needed a phono preamp with a USB ADC/DAC. I use the (IMO very good) phono stage in my ARC SP-9. Consequently I had no need of an external phono stage.

Terry,

Just confirmed...... I have 2.0.5 .... not .1 as previously erroneously posted. As to 24 bit vs 16.... right now I'd be happy just to get something up and running! BTW, does this Audacity program include any kind of 'auto-sensing' between tracks so as to avoid having to baby-sit a recording and manually input track changes? Also, I've been wondering; What does one do when reaching the end of side 1 of an album and needing to flip to side 2? Do you 'pause' the recording like you would an RTR deck, or what? WC

I just do one entire side of an LP at one time. I pause the recording while turning the LP over and then continue. It's easy enough to go back and split it into individual tracks after the recording is done. Entering the metadata for each track/LP is the most time consuming task.

Audacity 2.0.5 is the latest. 2.0.1 definitely still won't record at 24 bits on a windows machine if that matters to you.

Terry

That stinks, thanks for the headsup! I'm really new to this whole deal (vinyl ---> PC). How do I do a quick check to see what bitrate I actually end up with?

Back
Top Bottom