B&W CM1 & CM2 Speakers

Oliade677

Picked these up this afternoon. I don't think they're as good a deal as I thought, but anyone have experience with them? They seem to be dated to around the late 80's. The serial numbers are very low (100's for the CM2's, 300's for the CM1's). The cabinets are rough, but the drivers are excellent. Here are some pics:

img20110331203010.jpg

img20110331203039.jpg

img20110331203149.jpg

I had the CompactMonitors1 quite for some time. These have Nautilus tweeters and matrix Cabinets, nice highs and mids. Compared to DM302 I prefered the DMs because they lack in bass. I was trying so hard to get some CM2 to complete the set and their sound but no way, not to get. So I sold them, Due to their low sensitivity of only 85dB, a proper amp is a must. If these where a good deal depends on how much you've spent and if the rest of you're system is enough to drive them.

I paid $300 for the set. That's probably a fair price, but I thought I was getting a killer deal. From the small amount of info I was able to find online, it appears these are from the late 80's. With such small serial numbers, these must've been some of the first produced. When the seller auditioned them for me, he had them playing through a 150 w/channel Sony receiver. The best thing I have at home is a 110 w/channel Onkyo receiver. I've been fortunate to find some great speakers, but my gear absolutely does not do them justice.

They almost sound like ADS, AR, or KLH. laid back with a touch of air. They need 1-2' of space in back or they will get humpy in the bass.

The mids are pretty much spot on.

They sounded really nice.
You have to adjust the distance to the back wall so the bass is balanced.

Back
Top Bottom