Basement Two Channel Room - only 3 walls.....

Discussion in 'Listening Spaces' started by mgrenwic, Mar 9, 2019.

1. mgrenwic

mgrenwic Active Member

Guys, I moved to Colorado and bought a house and I am ready for a nice 2 channel setup.
    The issue is the room I have only has 3 walls. The room is 16 feet long, 8 1/2 foot ceilings, but only has 3 walls then opens to another room of sorts. I really don't see the point in spending a lot of money if the room is an issue.

What options do I have?
    I am not opposed to putting up a partition of sorts.
    I have attached pictures, excuse the mess as its just being used as storage at the moment.
    Pic one is where I'd sit. Pic 2 is the left wall, Pics 3 is the rear wall, then the last is the open part.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Chubba

Chubba Well-Known Member

Looks ok to me.Try a few set ups and stick with the one that sounds the best.Cheers

Grenadeslio likes this.
  3. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

Put it on the wall opposite the opening, aiming into the bedroom I believe? I see no reason you can't have great sound in this rm.

4. Ross6860

Ross6860 AK Subscriber Subscriber

A three-sided room can sound great. No reflections from the rear wall (behind your head) to contend with.

FWIW - My main listening space is three-sided and opens up to a large volume (basically opens up to my main basement area of around 8000 ft^3). Room is roughly 12' x 15', and one of the 12' walls is open/missing. Speakers are set up at the closed end of the room.

Speaker setup is important. Some of my speakers sound best pulled out from the rear wall by several feet (KEF 104/2, Infinity RS-II), others sound better stuffed into the corners (Klipsch).

5. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

Exactly, my living rm setup is similar with the back area opening up into the kitchen and dining rm, sounds awesome. My media rm has four walls and sounds great, but more rm treatment was required due to reflections off the rear wall.

6. dcmfan

dcmfan AK Subscriber Subscriber

That's the way I'd try it. Put the listening chair in that little spot of sunshine with the alcove behind you. The odd shaped back wall will break up some of the room nodes and I think the sound will be good!

Please register to disable this ad.