Best Cartridge Technics SL-D2 (that is not discontinued)

Skyler6

I wanted the AT120e and was wondering if there is a cartidge in that ball park of greatness that is newer and not discontinued? I know the AT120e has a successor but can't find many reviews about it. Please advise! Thank you

The Ortofon 2M Bronze works well on that arm. The nude Fine Line stylus, while technically a line contact type, is more closely related to a hyper-elliptical profile, and is less fussy about set-up than the more exotic profiles like ML, Shibata, etc.
And it sounds really good. It's tonally neutral, it gives you what's in the groove, and nothing more. If you're looking for warmth, this is probably not for you. But, as you're looking at AT carts, I'm guessing warmth is not a priority. It's not
inexpensive, but it is everything the reviewers said.

The Ortofon 2M Bronze works well on that arm. The nude Fine Line stylus, while technically a line contact type, is more closely related to a hyper-elliptical profile, and is less fussy about set-up than the more exotic profiles like ML, Shibata, etc.
And it sounds really good. It's tonally neutral, it gives you what's in the groove, and nothing more. If you're looking for warmth, this is probably not for you. But, as you're looking at AT carts, I'm guessing warmth is not a priority. It's not
inexpensive, but it is everything the reviewers said.

That sounds perfect, I will search the web for one. Is there any others like that you would reccomend but that may be easier to find?

Right now, there seems to be a diamond shortage within the industry. You might have to hunt hunt around. My local dealer is having a hard time getting stock. The Bronze is worth hunting for, in my opinion.

People are going to come along shortly and recommend carts with a MicroLine, Shibata, or other line contact stylus, most likely the AT-VM95ML. It's a good cart, with a decent diamond, but it's a bonded diamond tip, not nude.* The nude styli are lighter, therefore faster, and generally more detailed. But the more exotic styli are very sensitive to things like azimuth and stylus rake angle(SRA), that your tonearm has no adjustment for. To put it bluntly, you won't get anywhere near the performance that stylus profile is capable of. The slightly less precise nude FineLine is easier to align on the less sophisticated arms, such as yours, and mine. Thus, you actually get more of the performance you're paying for.

Edit : * = I know, admitted my error below

Last edited:
People are going to come along shortly and recommend carts with a MicroLine, Shibata, or other line contact stylus, most likely the AT-VM95ML. It's a good cart, with a decent diamond, but it's a bonded diamond tip, not nude.

I'm pretty sure it's not.

Nagaoka MP-110H VS the VM95ML ? I'm guessing the AT95E is way less quality than the VM95ML.

Oh I am not comparing the 2 side by side....just saying I really like my NAG on the D2. Then again I am easily pleased. Does it play my tunes....does it sound better than the old Empire I had...good to go!

Right now, there seems to be a diamond shortage within the industry. You might have to hunt hunt around. My local dealer is having a hard time getting stock. The Bronze is worth hunting for, in my opinion.

People are going to come along shortly and recommend carts with a MicroLine, Shibata, or other line contact stylus, most likely the AT-VM95ML. It's a good cart, with a decent diamond, but it's a bonded diamond tip, not nude. The nude styli are lighter, therefore faster, and generally more detailed. But the more exotic styli are very sensitive to things like azimuth and stylus rake angle(SRA), that your tonearm has no adjustment for. To put it bluntly, you won't get anywhere near the performance that stylus profile is capable of. The slightly less precise nude FineLine is easier to align on the less sophisticated arms, such as yours, and mine. Thus, you actually get more of the performance you're paying for.
Not true! The AT-VM95ML is NUDE, not bonded!
https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/cartridges/line-series/at-vm95-series

Yes, I know, I've already conceded my error. Doesn't change the fact that a ML stylus, on his non-adjustable tonearm, will be lacking in performance, compared to what it is capable of, unless he wants to go in with shims and a microscope.

for my sl-d2 specifically would the 95ml be a vast improvement still in comparison with the 95e? I have a thing visually for the nag 110, but not sure if the 200 bucks is better spent on the 95ml..

I responded to your first thread on this subject when you were perhaps considering more basic options than cartridges with fine-line and ML styli. I think the AT-VM95 range is the way to go. I have both the VM95E and VM95ML, although the latter is newer and I have used it much less. My feeling is the more basic VM95E won't disappoint and is a good first taste of this cartridge range, as you can always upgrade the stylus later. My initial impressions were that the VM95ML is more refined than the VM95E (as expected) but perhaps more laid-back - so the VM95E may actually be a bit more dynamic, although I am going to re-visit these two cartridges fairly soon. You could compromise and go for the AT-VM95EN with nude elliptical stylus - there should be no problem with using that stylus on your turntable.

for my sl-d2 specifically would the 95ml be a vast improvement still in comparison with the 95e? I have a thing visually for the nag 110, but not sure if the 200 bucks is better spent on the 95ml..

The nude ML or SH should offer some benefits over the bonded VM95E with the exception of ease of setup (and price). Crab's suggestion for the VM95EN might be the ticket if ease of setup is a concern.

Nagaoka and the AT VM95 series are very different sounding carts. In my experience, Nag tends to have a more lush midrange with better separation and bigger soundstage. My MP150 is a step up from the 110, and I found the mids to be more open and involving than on my VM95SH, but the SH had slightly more refined treble....both are excellent carts with different characteristics. Your tastes, and how well any of them play on your system will dictate the end results, but will remain an unknown until you pick a color and try one! I know that's not the reassurance anyone wants, but it's the reality....on the plus side, these should all be quite good...no stinkers mentioned in the mix. :cool:

Last edited:
If I were going to spend $179 an AT cart, I would get the AT-VM530EN. In my opinion, you'll get more out of the nude elliptical with the more sophisticated generator
than you will from a more exotic stylus profile with an inferior generator, all things being equal.

Edit: AND you still have the ML/Shibata options.

Last edited:
If I were going to spend $179 an AT cart, I would get the AT-VM530EN. In my opinion, you'll get more out of the nude elliptical with the more sophisticated generator
than you will from a more exotic stylus profile with an inferior generator, all things being equal.

Edit: AND you still have the ML/Shibata options.
I'm not so sure about that. Yes, if the AT-VM530EN is anything like its forerunner, the AT120E, it will be fabulous. But I have the AT-VM95E and tried the AT-VM520EB (both with bonded elliptical styli), and much preferred the AT-VM95E. It was, however, down to the stylus rather than the generator - putting an old AT100E stylus on the VM520EB body, it sounded great. Of the two VM95 cartridges that I have (95E and 95ML), I'd say that they are a little warmer than the AT cartridges I have with the other bodies (except perhaps the AT3600L), so it's really down to taste.

Back
Top Bottom