Best over-ear headphones under $100?

cchean

Looking to buy a pair of headphones for casual listening. Nothing fancy, no mic, no bluetooth, just old school headphones. I ownded in the past Seenheiser HD-414 and a Sony MDR-V6, they are long gone. I was considering AKG K240 or Grado SR60. Any other suggestions?

I paid $100 shipped from Amazon for a used pair of AKG 553s. Those would get my vote though the price has gone up a bit.

If bass isn't a top priority, Amazon has the AKG K92s on sale for a ridiculous $35. I haven't actually heard them but I have a pair of the K52s which are similar but two steps down the ladder.

They don't work super well with a phone but for home use, the AKG 240s have a lot of positives. They are a pretty open design so they let sound out and let noise in but they also sound MUCH more open than most phones in the price range.

I paid $100 shipped from Amazon for a used pair of AKG 553s. Those would get my vote though the price has gone up a bit.

If bass isn't a top priority, Amazon has the AKG K92s on sale for a ridiculous $35. I haven't actually heard them but I have a pair of the K52s which are similar but two steps down the ladder.

They don't work super well with a phone but for home use, the AKG 240s have a lot of positives. They are a pretty open design so they let sound out and let noise in but they also sound MUCH more open than most phones in the price range.
Nothing a headphone amp such as a fiio can't take care of.i use my 240s with my iPod or phone with a fiio eo7k amp

Totally agree, the 240s still aren't my top choice for use with a phone.
Not my choice either but during the summer I use them for my commute to work and in the winter I use a pair of etymotic er4s I.e.c.for home use i use my stax electrostatics through my fairchild amplifiers.:smoke:everything has its place.

I don't see how a discussion on Headphones under 100 bucks, can be had, without the Grado 60's being mentioned?? I bought mine back in the day. I was starting to head phone hunt. Stax Electrostatic Cans and such stuff were comparisons (for me.)

But when I found the Grado 60's ... I found them to be more than good enough! I still have them and they work! I paid $69 bucks for them back in the day. And I see they have a newer version ( Grado 60 e) and the price has gone up! So, no longer $69 bucks ... now they are uh $ 79 bucks!' :)

Most likely the newer ones are "better" still but my "originals" are more than "Good Enough" for me. :)

And I guess I have had them this long??
https://www.stereophile.com/headphones/532/index.html

I don't see how a discussion on Headphones under 100 bucks, can be had, without the Grado 60's being mentioned?? I bought mine back in the day. I was starting to head phone hunt. Stax Electrostatic Cans and such stuff were comparisons (for me.)

But when I found the Grado 60's ... I found them to be more than good enough! I still have them and they work! I paid $69 bucks for them back in the day. And I see they have a newer version ( Grado 60 e) and the price has gone up! So, no longer $69 bucks ... now they are uh $ 79 bucks!' :)

Most likely the newer ones are "better" still but my "originals" are more than "Good Enough" for me. :)

And I guess I have had them this long??
https://www.stereophile.com/headphones/532/index.html
The original poster did mention the grad sr60.:)

I don't know from Grado, I have these, and I find them decent enough.
Sennheiser HD280 pro. Right at $99.9 free shipping.
Solid. Heavy cord. Easily replaced pads.

They'll also pump your brains out if you want.

The SR-60's I have are on ear not over ear. This is so even after changing the cushions as I did.

My Monolith M-560's and HiFi Man HE-350's are over the ear type.

The SR-60's I have are on ear not over ear. This is so even after changing the cushions as I did.
This is true and IMO not the most comfortable for long term sessions. To get around the ear for Grado, you would need to go to the bowl ear cups.

I own AKG 240 MKII and find them comfortable and enjoyable, but I just grabbed 2 pairs of AKG K92 closed back phones for family members and after giving them a listen for a couple of days in my little studio setup, am mighty impressed at their sound, quite different than the 240's open back design. The really good news is they're going for $39 including shipping right now at zZounds. I just ordered another pair for myself.

Back
Top Bottom