Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Interestingly enough, I am a big fan of both Glass Harp and Holst's The Planets - I'd consider this find the motherlode - congrats !
The Glass Harp must be rare on CD. It goes for some bucks on discogs. They were an Ohio band so i see the lp around the stores often.
I didnt have a good copy of the Planets . My uncle gave me a different version on CD years ago. Its rhe first classical that i really got to know.

Last edited:
I don't know how much you know about Glass Harp - PM me for details if you're interested - I don't want to hijack the thread. The Planets was also my first serious introduction to classical - it was mentioned in a Stereo Review article in the mid 70's about classical music that might appeal to rock fans and vice-versa.

The Glass Harp must be rare on CD. It goes for some bucks on discogs. They were an Ohio band so i see the lp around the stores often.
I didnt have a good copy of the Planets . My uncle gave me a different version on CD years ago. Its rhe first classical that i really got to know.
Go watch Phil Keaggy shred on YouTube. It won't take you long to appreciate him.

Go watch Phil Keaggy shred on YouTube. It won't take you long to appreciate him.
I already had the S/t and Synergy on wax. I just had a hunch the CD was rare so i snagged it. I have yet to get into his solo work however. I know many on AK are fans. Will look into it him more thanks.

Picked up a fully functioning Pioneer SX-1500TD today at a local Savers. With a little elbow grease it shined up quite nice! As soon as I plugged it in at the store and it lit up I was sold. Going to give it the full DeoxIt treatment next.

Attachments

• 0318191543.jpg
    0318191543.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 0318191542.jpg
    0318191542.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 0318191328.jpg
    0318191328.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 115
Picked up a fully functioning Pioneer SX-1500TD today at a local Savers. With a little elbow grease it shined up quite nice! As soon as I plugged it in at the store and it lit up I was sold. Going to give it the full DeoxIt treatment next.
That is really nice .

I found this yesterday. It had a green sticker, which meant that it was half price. It powered up fine but was pretty dirty and didn't include the remote. I got it home, blew out tons of dust and dirt, and fired it up. It actually sounds pretty good! I've only used it for two-channel, as it'd be way too much work to connect it in place of my HT system. The fact that some screws are missing from the back of the top cover makes me wonder if it's actually got issues. However, I ran it really hard (loud) last night, and I found no problems. Power output is 110 WPC (I believe) x 5, and it seems to be pretty well built. Not bad for $30!
View attachment 1438121

This series is really nice. You can poke around with the settings on the front panel. This lets you dial in EQ points and cut off frequencies for the tone controls. Also if your running just two channel mode dig into the controls and set it to BIG speakers and turn of the sub woofer to send the low frequencies to your speakers.

Once you poke around with the controls and get these things set up right they are giant killers. :)

^^
Nice, that looks MINT!

Its in great shape for sure but not mint. It was pretty filthy sitting on the shelf and after good scrubbing there is still some very minor discoloration on the front face when the light hits it just right. I'm not sure what else to try and clean it with. Here's a pic of a cleaned knob vs how it was when I picked it up.

That is really nice .

Thanks! I can't wait to to hear it! General word on the web is it sounds very nice.

Attachments

• 0318191354.jpg
    0318191354.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 66
This series is really nice. You can poke around with the settings on the front panel. This lets you dial in EQ points and cut off frequencies for the tone controls. Also if your running just two channel mode dig into the controls and set it to BIG speakers and turn of the sub woofer to send the low frequencies to your speakers.

Once you poke around with the controls and get these things set up right they are giant killers. :)
You are correct; this series is really nice! :thumbsup:
Actually, I ended up setting the front speakers to small with a 60Hz crossover to the sub. I have an SVS SB-12NSD that has one of its input channels connected to the Sony and the other input channel connected to my AVR / 7.1 system. I have a pair of ADS L780/2's for my 2-channel system, and they play much louder and clearer with the sub handling the lower bass. With such a low crossover setting, the sub blends in so much better.

Nothing good lately but found this fun item for $2. You can hook up all of your gear and listen through the powerful speakers.

20190315-095101.jpg

20190315-095111.jpg

20190315-095136.jpg
20190315-095142.jpg

I missed out on a Sansui G33000 for $225 complete with an RT-707 and Technics 1200 on facebook. By about 15 minutes. I wanna go cry in a corner.

Went to the GW near work at lunch today. Nothing interesting on the electronics shelf so I was about to leave when the cart lady came out with some goodies. On top was a Parasound 2125 with no power cable and a $19.95 price sticker on it. A couple minutes of searching thru the shelves yielded a power cable that fit. Powered up just fine. Tested it out when I got home and it works great! Only issue is the auto on selector switch broke off when I tried it. Will search for a new one.

I missed out on a Sansui G33000 for $225 complete with an RT-707 and Technics 1200 on facebook. By about 15 minutes. I wanna go cry in a corner.
i was first to respond to this on FB marketplace. it was a done deal. had pickup address and everything. two hours later she messages me and says some BS about her uncle not wanting to sell it now AND COMPLETELY BACKS OUT ON ME! i am still devastated. i could see that one guy had posted to her page, check your messages, so im assuming he offered her more money or told her what she had. either way its pathetic when people dont honor their deals. im still sick over this

i was first to respond to this on FB marketplace. it was a done deal. had pickup address and everything. two hours later she messages me and says some BS about her uncle not wanting to sell it now AND COMPLETELY BACKS OUT ON ME! i am still devastated. i could see that one guy had posted to her page, check your messages, so im assuming he offered her more money or told her what she had. either way its pathetic when people dont honor their deals. im still sick over this

Two hours later? Should have left work early - I'm sure I would have

Back
Top Bottom