Best Turntable for $2500ish

I would highly recommend a table from Small Audio Manufacturer (SAM). The company is based in Croatia (I know, but there are lots of positive reviews). You can buy a brand new hand made table for under your budget in their Aldebaran model:
index.php

This is a picture of one owned by a fellow AK'er. Posted in this thread: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/croatian-high-end-turntable.641301/ . I recently purchased SAM's reference model, which is just a little over your price range, and love it. The table is a large improvement over my current Marantz and Technics tables. Note, the picture above shows the Aldebaran with third party arms. If you are willing to take a chance on a small international vendor, I don't see how you can find a better bargain in a new table. SAM sells on the usual sites; although, currently they only have the reference model (and a brass version for even more $$) on that auction site. They are very responsive to emails though if you want to inquire about the Aldebaran.

There are a ton of options if you go used, with some great ones already listed here. However, you might want to add the Yamaha GT-2000 to your list: http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-GT-2000.html They are Japanese models, so a voltage converter is required; however, you should be able to import one and be up and running for about your budget (subject to your cartridge choice, of course). There are a number of threads on this table here on AK. It is highly regarded, and there are several owners here. Several companies on Ebay and otherwhere online offer well regarded import of these tables. This was the table I was going to buy if I didn't buy the SAM Reference.

I recently purchased a Technics SL1210 GR, it went for $1699.00. Thanks to a very liberal trade-in policy, I got $ 400.00 (a dollar more then I paid for it new) for my Project Debut Carbon. Which made the decision to snag the 1210 GR a no brainer. Hated the Project, love the Technics. Don't know if breaking the rules if I mention dealer, so I won't. PM would be best if OP is interested.

Nice one mate! You made a good deal!

So is this 1210 a different color that the SL1200GR?
Any differences?

Nice one mate! You made a good deal!

So is this 1210 a different color that the SL1200GR?
Any differences?
The 1210 is black. It's my understanding that the"10" designates black plinth. I believe that's the only difference.

I would highly recommend a table from Small Audio Manufacturer (SAM). The company is based in Croatia (I know, but there are lots of positive reviews). You can buy a brand new hand made table for under your budget in their Aldebaran model:
index.php

This is a picture of one owned by a fellow AK'er. Posted in this thread: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/croatian-high-end-turntable.641301/ . I recently purchased SAM's reference model, which is just a little over your price range, and love it. The table is a large improvement over my current Marantz and Technics tables. Note, the picture above shows the Aldebaran with third party arms. If you are willing to take a chance on a small international vendor, I don't see how you can find a better bargain in a new table. SAM sells on the usual sites; although, currently they only have the reference model (and a brass version for even more $$) on that auction site. They are very responsive to emails though if you want to inquire about the Aldebaran.

There are a ton of options if you go used, with some great ones already listed here. However, you might want to add the Yamaha GT-2000 to your list: http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-GT-2000.html They are Japanese models, so a voltage converter is required; however, you should be able to import one and be up and running for about your budget (subject to your cartridge choice, of course). There are a number of threads on this table here on AK. It is highly regarded, and there are several owners here. Several companies on Ebay and otherwhere online offer well regarded import of these tables. This was the table I was going to buy if I didn't buy the SAM Reference.
I have eyeballed these from time to time.
If money and need coincided , there'd probably be one here now .
I was a little leary of being the guinea pig.
Thanks for volunteering and the review. Enjoy:thumbsup:

Traditional looks? Sota.

Either one of these, but be sure to listen to them somewhere first. I was certain to end up with a VPI before listening to it, now SOTA is preferred by a long shot.

This matches mac and is pretty close to your budget.

View attachment 1249040 View attachment 1249041

How "reliable" are these? Are they finnicky and require tinkering from time to time? I watched a set up video on one and just about cried, can't imagine what basic maintenance would be like.

Either one of these, but be sure to listen to them somewhere first. I was certain to end up with a VPI before listening to it, now SOTA is preferred by a long shot.

How "reliable" are these? Are they finnicky and require tinkering from time to time? I watched a set up video on one and just about cried, can't imagine what basic maintenance would be like.
The Gyro SE sets up easy and like most good tables.

I think if you talked to @marcmorin, with your budget, he could set you up with a AR turntable that would make your toes curl. Vintage and killer sound, win-win.

So I have been kicking around replacing my Linn Axis turntable and can justify about $2500 or so. Being a McIntosh guy I liked their entry level, but that's close to 4000. The local shop pushes EAT (like the c-major), Project and has access to Rega. I like the classic look of tables so the Project line isn't hugely appealing, but the sound is what counts. I realize this is a personal preference and per ear thing, but please help narrow the field and give suggestions for additional research.
My recommendation is to go with whatever you can audition first and thereby know that you're getting a level of performance you can happily live with. I like to take my own 'table to the shop and/or bring a floor model home to make my comparisons. I found a level of quality I could happily live with in the modest Rega RP3, and this was after decades of owning more expensive turntables in the form of a Linn LP12/Ittok and a Well Tempered Record Player. I've read good things about EAT models, but have never heard one. Pro-Ject has a few models with rather classic appearance, but maybe those aren't models your dealer stocks. In any event, I'd listen to what is available locally before buying blind from afar.

New or used?

Used I got my Denon DP-75, DK-300 Plinth with Audiomods Series V tonearm and Denon DL-S1 for around $2500.

All the new is relearned as it was forgotten with digital audio. Turntables were perfected when digital came along and they decided well Lps are a thing of the past. So again a learning curve I like stuff that works and above that stuff 50 years old that still works. I honestly never would have a clue what to purchase if I walked into where ever stereo components exist in the current day and age. It has been an easy and rewarding experience for me. I simply bought what was the best of the best when I was a young man.
The best from the 1970s. I get looks of amazement when friends hear my systems.
I am human and simply don't hear frequencies at the same level as my dog. I know all my old stuff is powerful with huge capacitors with reserves waiting. None better. I would have to agree that if the priorities are some thing that will fit in some little spot just so.. this is not the right path but if the money spent is far less than current state of the art greatest ever. It makes more sense to buy a bigger roof to put the klipsch or what ever turns your crank and have a real listening room. I ask you dear reader how much of the equipment will still run in 50 years from now? I ask as all mine is and does. And it's about impossible to steal as anymore not to many folks can lift it.
Cheers, Nemo
"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left "
1533561451893984918448.jpg
1533561490090725498075.jpg
15335615197591798444855.jpg
three choices that have served me well
and daily.

Ok esprits4s, it's been a couple years since you picked up your SAM table... what are your thoughts and opinions now?? Any regrets? Would you do it again? I ask because I am considering the SAM Reference table, HOPEFULLY with two arms - a Clearaudio TT-3 and a Master Wand Plus from BuildDesignListen with a Benz Micro (prob. a Glider) and a London Decca (not sure which). I have been in contact with Ivan at S.A.M. and he is VERY responsive to the questions I have posed! Your feedback would be appreciated...for myself and others I imagine.

Ok esprits4s, it's been a couple years since you picked up your SAM table... what are your thoughts and opinions now?? Any regrets? Would you do it again? I ask because I am considering the SAM Reference table, HOPEFULLY with two arms - a Clearaudio TT-3 and a Master Wand Plus from BuildDesignListen with a Benz Micro (prob. a Glider) and a London Decca (not sure which). I have been in contact with Ivan at S.A.M. and he is VERY responsive to the questions I have posed! Your feedback would be appreciated...for myself and others I imagine.

I have been very happy with my SAM Reference and highly recommend it. I've had no problems with it and listen to it frequently. I'm currently running the stock Calista arm with a DL-103R as well as a 12" Wand Plus with a Clearaudio Virtuoso Ebony that I happened to have on hand. The Wand tonearm is a recent addition, but so far so good. In addition, Ivan from SAM and Simon from Design Build Listen have both been a pleasure to deal with.

Attachments

• reference.jpg
    reference.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
All sorts of opinion here. But I would go with the Technics. Now If if I could find a pristine VPI Prime or early Aries I could up grade later on I might go that direction. If the HRX were so damn big that what I would have. But I bought a VPI/Levinson that works great for less than half price B-stock.

I have been very happy with my SAM Reference and highly recommend it. I've had no problems with it and listen to it frequently. I'm currently running the stock Calista arm with a DL-103R as well as a 12" Wand Plus with a Clearaudio Virtuoso Ebony that I happened to have on hand. The Wand tonearm is a recent addition, but so far so good. In addition, Ivan from SAM and Simon from Design Build Listen have both been a pleasure to deal with.
Thank you for your feedback! NICE pic also! I believe I will move forward on this combo...WAY TOO MANY albums (300+) sitting idle!! need to bring back the "glory days!"

Find a Mission 775S or SM without an arm (maybe $200?), and spend the other $2300 on an excellent tonearm (and cartridge?).

Hi, This is an old thread & the young man most likely has a T/T buy now. But for others I totally agree the majority of funds should be spent on the arm & cartridge.
Also as I have told other readers, read though this thread on DIYaudio, it advises that a top of the line can be built with a little DIY & patience for around $1,000. The said components would challenge any off the shelf $10,000 vinyl system & even above.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/320307-turntable-front-system-1-000-a.html?highlight

Cheers & Keep safe

Hi, This is an old thread & the young man most likely has a T/T buy now. But for others I totally agree the majority of funds should be spent on the arm & cartridge.
Also as I have told other readers, read though this thread on DIYaudio, it advises that a top of the line can be built with a little DIY & patience for around $1,000. The said components would challenge any off the shelf $10,000 vinyl system & even above.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/320307-turntable-front-system-1-000-a.html?highlight

Cheers & Keep safe[/QUOTE

Cheers & Keep safe
Thank you sir...noticed the date, just didn't register.

Back
Top Bottom