BEWARE: I think I've been scammed by Noah Schumacher (Vintage Audio Restoration)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask any tech here if they would appreciate it if someone posted to AK accusing them of scamming a customer before the agreed upon time frame had elapsed. You haven't been scammed, yet.

I think given the way you have acted that the email response from him was appropriate. If he follows through with what he said he would do I don't think it would make him look bad in this particular instance.

This is what he promised and sold to me:
http://marantzhallo-fi.blogspot.com/search?q=kenwood+600

This is my "almost done" amp. "The front is done" he said.... If you are a tech with an almost done project, wouldn't you have explained in detail what's been done on the unit until now when a client asks you? All I got was just vague info. Nothing specific, no details. See for yourself.

I do know that if my shop estimates 5 to 6 months for turnaround, I wouldn't even call to check until after 8 months or so before I would even begin to worry. I always add 25% overage just so I'm never disappointed

I don't know. It seems like there is a bit of overreacting going on here. If the guy said 6 months is the turnaround, and 6 months haven't gone by then what's the problem?

The OP hasn't even let the guy try to make good on what was promised and panic has set in. I realize Noah has a bad rep around here and I would choose someone else to do my work, but jeez let it play out.

I think this whole thread was way premature. If there was any chance of getting what you wanted from the guy it's shot now. You should've waited a while before posting here. Good luck dealing with him after this.

Take a look at this part of a thread regarding the guy you are defending.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ta-2100d-repair-and-restoration.763858/page-5

You can compare the photos he has of the same unit that he allegedly restored on his blog and mine. My unit has all the original stuff in it. it's dirty, including the switches and knobs on the front, which he claims it was done.

If I had waited way passed the expiration day, I would have had to demand my amp and my money back. And that's when people have the most problems with him. He's returning my amp (hopefully) untouched because he's got my money and I am not issuing a refund. He cares about money, not these vintage units. For him, this is a win win: got all the money for free, without having to work much on this amp. I want my amp, then I'll decide what to do next.

@biscuithead

OK I emailed the dude last night to find out what kind of business he did and how he treated people. Here is the email chain that ended this morning.

"I apologize ******* I closed up the shop before I received your email last night. TO proceed with a commission I do need your information first including Name, preferred email address and phone number as well as your return shipping address. I will send you a itemized invoice complete with detailed …"

ME "Actually after reading online reviews of your company I am going to pass on your services."

HIM "Im glad, customers who are too stupid to read the work I do versus the BS online then more the better."

ME "
I will make sure and get your response out to social media and Audio Karma where there is a huge active thread on your shoddy work and shitty attitude."

HIM "Try acting like an adult and I publish my work for folks to see if you want to call that shoddy then maybe get some perspective. I for one could care less what you do Anthony. I offered my respect drag on what you will. Bear in mind libel is a pursuant."

ME "Better get your lawyer on speed dial then. Because the internet is on to your scams. "

I was laughing my ass off at the threat of libel.

There is nothing better than outing a scumbag. I hope he is reading this and fuming.

I have a pretty wide network of audio contacts and friends here in Colorado, at the very least, it’s good to know that this guy should be avoided at all cost.
I’ve done my own research on this guy, and it looks like he and his wife are still at that address. So if @Luciano36 needs a local Aker , I can at least give the Boulder pd a call and see if they’d do a ride along to his place. But 6 months should pass from delivery date.

Hi biscuithead, I really appreciate your help. For now, let's see if he sends the unit back tomorrow as he promised. If he does, and the amp arrives to my place, then I'll see what I can do to avoid other people get screwed in the future. If I don't get the amp after six months, then I'll have to try to get the police involved. Thanks again.

If I was closer I would happily knock on this guys door on your behalf. I would guarantee two things. I would walk out with your Kenny and your 550.00! I would ship it back to you properly packaged and return all funds that werent used to ship amp back to you. No police necessary.. I hope that a local aker steps up and helps you retrieve your goods....
Thanks man. I do appreciate you guys help and support. For now, let's not show up at anybody's house :) Let's see what he does in the next 24 hrs.

Thumper ,
I respect that you're trying to protect someone who does what you do. I appreciate and respect that.
If it weren't for the fact that Noah has a repeated track record of deception and theft,
I could think maybe your right.
I can only guess you don't grasp the trail of history or perhaps you're some kind of plant.
Your defense of Noah defies any logic.
(Well he stole everybody else's stuff but you're ok 5 months into a 6 month project without return emails, phone calls.....

I feel for the OP

If you're not Noah , I apologize . I hope you're right, but think you couldn't be more wrong.
I'm not protecting anybody from anything or defending anybody. I also do not do what he does whatever that means. I am a retired licensed Plumber in Kentucky who couldn't change a board if I had to, that's why I take my gear to our local shop. I only tinker with my own already broken gear before I take it in to get fixed by the pros, never anyone else's, and I've never charged anyone for any repairs as I have never made any repairs for myself or anyone else. My test equipment begins and ends with a multi meter. I can solder but so can every plumber. Oh Yes, I'm a plant thas been hanging around here 8 years just waiting for a thread like this. You got me. One quick profile search and posting look and anyone can see what I'm about. One phone call to Magnetic Tape Recorder asking about me by name will confirm my status as a long term novice audio enthusiast and a dependable customer. So would a search on this forum of my activity. So now who's spreading disinformation. My observations are just that. Observations. Sorry if they touched a nerve. I should have ended my posts like I do most of my others. By saying my opinions are worthless and YMMV.

I'm not defending the guy. I'm pointing out that the OP was premature to post a thread accusing someone of scamming, which BTW has grown to 9 or so pages, before any scamming actually took place. Also, the post you referenced has nothing to do with this case.

If I were in a similar position I would at least wait until the agreed upon completion date had expired before I started asking the tech what the deal is. I certainly wouldn't post to AK accusing of scamming until it was clear that scamming had taken place.

Of course you're irritatingly correct, but this guy needs to be shut down. It's bigger than just the OP's probable losses, though, and even if he did post six weeks or a month early, we all know where this was headed, but some good could yet come from it that would reverse the karmic flow for this miscreant

Personally, I hope all who've posted here (that they suffered losses) are PMing one another behind the scenes to collate whatever they may have of emails and any other paperwork, including your own written accounts of where, when, what and how you were defrauded, post notices on other sites to find other victims and put together a nice big package for the DA in his county. The more of his unhappy customers that can be found, the better.

Also contact a reporter in the area with the complaints, identified by cc for the DA, so that he is aware it might get some play in the public arena. Schumacher needs a local TV camera or two to greet him when he steps outside.

Do the world a favor, even if you don't get anything back but the satisfaction that you tried to bring some justice to bear. A group might even succeed, where a lone complaint might not. Maybe since there is an interstate element to the fraud, he could enjoy a chance for some time in one of our nice federal facilities, where you don't get good-time.

Last edited:
I have a pretty wide network of audio contacts and friends here in Colorado, at the very least, it’s good to know that this guy should be avoided at all cost.
I’ve done my own research on this guy, and it looks like he and his wife are still at that address. So if @Luciano36 needs a local Aker , I can at least give the Boulder pd a call and see if they’d do a ride along to his place. But 6 months should pass from delivery date.

I am reading the above thread I posted and it is truly scary about this guy......along with that he has a fake Facebook account under the name Adam Tara

I’ve done my own research on this guy, and it looks like he and his wife are still at that address.

They're divorced.

Of course you're irritatingly correct, but this guy needs to be shut down. It's bigger than just the OP's probable losses

He owes me $2400 in cash as well as a broken Threshold amp, or about half that cash plus the equipment he sold me that I never got.

Of course you're irritatingly correct, but this guy needs to be shut down. It's bigger than just the OP's probable losses, though, and even if he did post six weeks or a month early, we all know where this was headed, but some good could yet come from it that would reverse the karmic flow for this miscreant

Personally, I hope all who've posted here are PMing one another behind the scenes to collate whatever they may have of emails and any other paperwork, including your own written accounts of where, when, what and how you were defrauded, post notices on other sites to find other victims and put together a nice big package for the DA in his county. The more of his unhappy customers that can be found, the better.

Also contact a reporter in the area with the complaints, identified by cc for the DA, so that he is aware it might get some play in the public arena. Schumacher needs a local TV camera or two to greet him when he steps outside.

Do the world a favor, even if you don't get anything back but the satisfaction that you tried to bring some justice to bear. A group might even succeed, where a lone complaint might not. Maybe since there is an interstate element to the fraud, he could enjoy a chance for some time in one of our nice federal facilities, where you don't get good time.

Someone has done something in the past about this guy: https://noah-schumacher.com/. Good info here.
Also, in one of those old threads someone posted how to contact the BBB and what kind of info to submit. I completely agree with you on this. We need a class action kind of lawsuit here.

Someone has done something in the past about this guy: https://noah-schumacher.com/. Good info here.
Also, in one of those old threads someone posted how to contact the BBB and what kind of info to submit. I completely agree with you on this. We need a class action kind of lawsuit here.

Wouldn't think there are deep enough pockets for a class action, but a group of defrauded folks submitting complaints to a DA might get some traction. Your choice to rant or to organize the posse. Yeah, too much work, PITA, getting others to get there stuff together, etc. In which case, may as well fume and forget.

A local TV reporter who would like to investigate and make a piece out of this would be ideal. I just read a post from somebody that got scammed by this man back in 2015. It's amazing he even uses the same exact phrases and arguments over and over again. I was reading the email exchange between an AK member and this Noah guy and I felt as if I was reading my own email exchanges with him.

Wouldn't think there are deep enough pockets for a class action, but a group of defrauded folks submitting complaints to a DA might get some traction. Your choice to rant or to organize the posse. Yeah, too much work, PITA, getting others to get there stuff together, etc. In which case, may as well fume and forget.
I think he plays with the fact that it is a PITA, and requires too much time and energy for folks like us with a regular job, families, etc. to go after him. For instance, I am a university professor and here I am, spending time and energy that I don't really have on this. Part of me wants to quit, move along and forget about it. And he knows that.

I can only guess you don't grasp the trail of history or perhaps you're some kind of plant.
Your defense of Noah defies any logic.
(Well he stole everybody else's stuff but you're ok 5 months into a 6 month project without return emails, phone calls.....

I feel for the OP

If you're not Noah , I apologize . I hope you're right, but think you couldn't be more wrong.

Since this was actually directed at me, I'll reply. Once again I'm being "accused" of defending Noah, this is not the case. I'm pointing out that the OP was premature in his accusations in this particular case.

What happened in the past to others with regards to Noah is well known and easily found. Anyone who does their due diligence in vetting a potential tech and follows standard business practices with regards to payment shouldn't have a problem. The OP ****ed up and got freaked out after finding the bad stuff about this cat. Instead of handling it in private, he came here leveling accusations. Not my way of doing things.

As for being a plant, c'mon man that is rediculous :thumbsdown:. Check my track record friend.

What is it about vintage audio that turns some people into emotional fools willing to send money to people they don't know? So much drama WTF? If it isn't Noah it's scammer Dave, or Papi whatever on eBay, or monster receiver guy......:crazy:.

Irritatingly correct, lol. Thanks for being honest and impartial. You would probably make a good judge or juror.

I can't say I disagree with what you have to say and have read some of the posts about Noah in the past and feel for those people who have been scammed. All I can say in this case is there has been much Ado about nothing so far. We shall see what happens, hopefully the OP gets his gear and money back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom