I just got back my Bose 901 Series II Eq from the tech!
Luxman C-1010 control center
Technics SH-8055 EQ
Denon DRA-435R Receiver
Sony CA7ES cd
Technics SL-QX300 Turntable
QSC 1400 Amp
I have all components fed to Luxman out to Technics EQ to Denon receiver. The Denon is powering a pair of Cerwin Vega 217R's the Denon has preouts sent to the 901 Eq which feeds the QSC 1400 Amp. The 901's are powered by the QSC Bridged @600WPC! If you really want the 901s at full potential you have to feed them serious power! This setup sounds amazing! I was initially a little pissed off thinking the tech pulled a fast one on me because the Eq sounded scratchy! But.. it was the rca cables I was initially using. You really need to use vintage RCA cables with the 901 eq. The monster type cable ends will touch. After switching the cables out the scratchiness was gone and I'm impressed! Especially with the 901 217r combo! The Denon receiver is only rated at 50wpc but it's a solid 50 and these 217r's are super efficient! The 217r's have incredible Bass and the 901's provide top notch mid and highs! I'm happy with the result!
Well congrats without the eq they are trash I bet , I’m glad you got eq fixed and are happy .
My klipsch are overly bright sometimes, almost wish they had more mids .
I want certain Vega someday, the Bose floor standing were one of there best models , but I only heard one pair in a coffee shop . Sadly Bose doesn’t make much big speakers these days except direct reflections ones at bestbuy and soundbars , cube speakers are they origins of Bose bashing beilive it or not .
Plus overpriced modes , like Bose 5.1 with accustommass .

Why are vintage cables better got pics of them ?
What speaker are you’re bose sitting on ? You probably need a sub Also , most speakers cannot do bass under 40-50 hz well.
You used a Sony sub or what ?

Well congrats without the eq they are trash I bet , I’m glad you got eq fixed and are happy .
My klipsch are overly bright sometimes, almost wish they had more mids .
I want certain Vega someday, the Bose floor standing were one of there best models , but I only heard one pair in a coffee shop . Sadly Bose doesn’t make much big speakers these days except direct reflections ones at bestbuy and soundbars , cube speakers are they origins of Bose bashing beilive it or not .
Plus overpriced modes , like Bose 5.1 with accustommass .

Why are vintage cables better got pics of them ?
What speaker are you’re bose sitting on ? You probably need a sub Also , most speakers cannot do bass under 40-50 hz well.
You used a Sony sub or what ?
The speakers the 901s are sitting
On are Cerwin Vega 217R's, they have 15" woofers, solid bass! I also have an
Older Optimus 10" powered sub hooked up. The CV's go low.. the sub is almost overkill but I figure ive got it might as well hook it up.. the vintage RCA's are important because the Eq in/outs are the old kind that are much closer together than modern equipment. With the new "quality" rca's the ends touch! They're just too thick. It doesn't necessarily have to be "vintage" rca's just need to be the type with thinner ends.. my family owns a bar that I manage/co-own and the jukebox company supplies our speakers, theres 4 Newer Bose 301 Series V I believe, pretty sure they're powered by a Newer Crown amp probably around 150-200WPC and they sound pretty damn good! I'm pretty sure there is a Sub inside the Jukebox itself too which makes a big differnce. I also own the 501 Series II's, the 201 series IV's, 2 Bose Acoustimass 5 series ii setups and an early 2000's 5.1 Lifestyle System. All of it "serves its purpose" but the 901's are by far the only really good speakers out of them all (IMO) I have to say those AM5's are great for a small room though. Nice little setup for someone who has a stereo receiver in a smaller room. All of the Bose stuff I have I picked up for really good prices.. fortunately the Lifestyle system was given to me for free! When I was a kid in the early 90's there was a Montgomery Wards dept store & me and my buddies would ride our bikes there and sit in the Bose area "mesmerized" until they would run us out.. I always have been into Audio gear and back then I dreamt of having anything Bose.. Guess that's why I'm so "proud" of these 901s.. I have much, much better stuff but I guess there's just a special "nostalgic" place in my heart for Bose..

The speakers the 901s are sitting
On are Cerwin Vega 217R's, they have 15" woofers, solid bass! I also have an
Older Optimus 10" powered sub hooked up. The CV's go low.. the sub is almost overkill but I figure ive got it might as well hook it up.. the vintage RCA's are important because the Eq in/outs are the old kind that are much closer together than modern equipment. With the new "quality" rca's the ends touch! They're just too thick. It doesn't necessarily have to be "vintage" rca's just need to be the type with thinner ends.. my family owns a bar that I manage/co-own and the jukebox company supplies our speakers, theres 4 Newer Bose 301 Series V I believe, pretty sure they're powered by a Newer Crown amp probably around 150-200WPC and they sound pretty damn good! I'm pretty sure there is a Sub inside the Jukebox itself too which makes a big differnce. I also own the 501 Series II's, the 201 series IV's, 2 Bose Acoustimass 5 series ii setups and an early 2000's 5.1 Lifestyle System. All of it "serves its purpose" but the 901's are by far the only really good speakers out of them all (IMO) I have to say those AM5's are great for a small room though. Nice little setup for someone who has a stereo receiver in a smaller room. All of the Bose stuff I have I picked up for really good prices.. fortunately the Lifestyle system was given to me for free! When I was a kid in the early 90's there was a Montgomery Wards dept store & me and my buddies would ride our bikes there and sit in the Bose area "mesmerized" until they would run us out.. I always have been into Audio gear and back then I dreamt of having anything Bose.. Guess that's why I'm so "proud" of these 901s.. I have much, much better stuff but I guess there's just a special "nostalgic" place in my heart for Bose..
I have passive Optimus sub still not in use haha , afraid to kill my vintage amp using ampnto power the sub . My onkyo 818 sent the sub too much bass almost killed it had to unhook it .why do they even make passive subs ?
Well anything beats dreadful tv speakers , older Bose was supposedly good until microspeakers arrived I cranked those up at circuit city they sounded bloated so I later bought my current system 7ch with 2 extra for 9ch which are unused . It’s somewhere on members systems but I’m unsure were or how to find it .
I haven’t heard any proper set up Bose . muggswiggs coffee shop oddly had a pair of floor standers up really high like weird but sounded good enough.

Nice to have you here . It's nice to have fun here. Great bunch of people .
Thanks I appreciate that! Some people on here seem to go out of there ways to make people feel "inferior" to them.. I'm here for a fun conversation with fellow audiophiles. the best sight on the web for acquiring information about all things Audio! I can see how someone who's maybe new to the audio world could get discouraged by the way some people pretentiously/snobbishly reply to posts. In my case with this post I had it coming with the "Haters Debunked" title.. I meant it as a joke but didn't
Clarify.. I can take a few jabs but I could see how someone new to the sight could definitely get turned off by it. it is called AudioKarma KARMA... What comes around goes around. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Peace, Love and HiFi

Does the
I have passive Optimus sub still not in use haha , afraid to kill my vintage amp using ampnto power the sub . My onkyo 818 sent the sub too much bass almost killed it had to unhook it .why do they even make passive subs ?
Well anything beats dreadful tv speakers , older Bose was supposedly good until microspeakers arrived I cranked those up at circuit city they sounded bloated so I later bought my current system 7ch with 2 extra for 9ch which are unused . It’s somewhere on members systems but I’m unsure were or how to find it .
I haven’t heard any proper set up Bose . muggswiggs coffee shop oddly had a pair of floor standers up really high like weird but sounded good enough.
does your vintage amp have preouts and does the Optimus Sub have Speaker inputs? If the amp has a preout i would use that, you don't want to use the tape out because it's a fixed output. The preout would be a variable output. If no preouts on amp use the speaker inputs for the sub. That way when you adjust the volume it will turn down the sub too. I'm guessing you might of had the sub hooked up by tape out which will be a set volume and can't be turned down. If you have to use the tape out just turn the sub all the way down and turn the volume to like
1 or 2 and it should be ok.

Does the

does your vintage amp have preouts and does the Optimus Sub have Speaker inputs? If the amp has a preout i would use that, you don't want to use the tape out because it's a fixed output. The preout would be a variable output. If no preouts on amp use the speaker inputs for the sub. That way when you adjust the volume it will turn down the sub too. I'm guessing you might of had the sub hooked up by tape out which will be a set volume and can't be turned down. If you have to use the tape out just turn the sub all the way down and turn the volume to like
1 or 2 and it should be ok.
Your saying my receiver can power the sub how do I know independence won’t go toow .
I had a link to the model in speakers somewhere.
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...er-needs-some-work-help.839174/#post-12534015
Here !!!!&&&@@@:angel:
Wow found a ant crawling on laptop , so hard to get rid of them .:eek:

Last edited:
Thanks I appreciate that! Some people on here seem to go out of there ways to make people feel "inferior" to them.. I'm here for a fun conversation with fellow audiophiles. the best sight on the web for acquiring information about all things Audio! I can see how someone who's maybe new to the audio world could get discouraged by the way some people pretentiously/snobbishly reply to posts. In my case with this post I had it coming with the "Haters Debunked" title.. I meant it as a joke but didn't
Clarify.. I can take a few jabs but I could see how someone new to the sight could definitely get turned off by it. it is called AudioKarma KARMA... What comes around goes around. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Peace, Love and HiFi
Naw, it's not, really like that here?? You just jumped into the deep end as it were and your title pretty much suggested you already knew that???

There are some brands that there own signature "sound" and people either luv them or hate them?? And there are some speakers that are just absolutely "popularizing!" And if I could name the top there, I think they would be well of course Bose 901's, followed by klipsch heresy and of course the Mach One's! :)

And all of those have there fans and detractors! Out of those three I have heard the Heresy's, many years ago and I luv'd them! I bought KG 4's based on the Heresy's cuz that was what I could find at the time and while, not Heresy's close enough, That was twenty years ago and I still have them.

And the Mach One's LOL, yet again never heard them and I saw there rep??? But as they say in Missouri.:mrztok.jpg

So I bought a pair to see for myself?? That was many years ago and as it happens, I am listening to them right now stacked with RS LX 5's! All RS main speakers as it were ... (and a sub) I do stuff. :)

And while I also had a strong opinion on how much the 901's suck?? When I got to thinking about it, well you know ... uh I have never actually heard a pair??? So Bose 901's are also on my ""to be acquire list!" :)

And hey if "I hang'em" they take up no floor space! But you know we have a high sloped ceiling and I'm guessing the WAF, would be pretty low with that crap???

At any rate ... thanks for the input! Maybe I'll grab a pair before years end and I can add my 2 cents?? :)

Your thread just encourages the dislikers to post. By letting them bother you, it justifies their presence. Personally, I make out by the rock throwing. I was able to acquire double pairs of beautiful 901 Series II Continentals with boxes....equalizers...and chrome stands in mint condition for $400....:) ...just as in this pic. 82293.jpg

There are some brands that there own signature "sound" and people either luv them or hate them?? And there are some speakers that are just absolutely "popularizing!" And if I could name the top there, I think they would be well of course Bose 901's, followed by klipsch heresy and of course the Mach One's! :)
Let's not forget the Panasonic Thrusters! :thumbsup:

When I was young and a poor college student I used to dream about owning exotic cars, was a car nut so why not.

I read every car magazine, always hanging on every word in the comparisons between Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, McLaren et al and felt that this was the gospel to us believers, they knew what was better.

Then I started to run in circles where I was meeting these reviewers.

The owner of and highly respected columnist in one of the top magazines told me that his favorite car to drive daily is the Chevy Suburban.

I then decided to judge for myself which car was to be my next acquisition.

You can live in the numbers, or like what you hear, up to you. Nobody will be able to tell you conclusively what will sound best to you, and you won't be able to tell me what I'll like. I'm happy that you like your 901s, I have a good friend who liked his for a while also, I'm not a fan but it didn't come between us.

Let's not forget the Panasonic Thrusters! :thumbsup:
LOL, I've never seen or hear those?? But I am aware of them,
most likely speakers like those are where "all" Japanese speakers suck comes from??

That was the general rule of thumb at the Audio shops I frequented in the 80's and 90's. I had that left over baggage from the pas. So early last year ,I was reluctant to spend next to nothing for a pair of Sansui Sp 1200's in great shape. But hey WTH?? So I got'em and I luv them ... "also." And I found by "accident" that combined with a Yamaha, AVR, they are very smooth!

You never know what you'll like when you expand your horizons in speakers?? So I'll have try some 901's myself and see what I think. :)

I have a buddy that has had a pair of 901s in a big room and has taken years to get them set exactly right. When he fires them up it sounds like being inside the music. They sound like nothing else. Some like them and some dont but I am willing to wager that most have not heard them set up really well. If they are not set right they dont sound good at all........when done right with a few hundred wpc they can be incredible.

Guess what? I've never heard a Bose speaker I've ever liked. So what? Not liking them doesn't mean I hate them. I'm simply not impressed with their sound. There are plenty of other speakers I don't particularly like. Just as there are lots of speakers I do like. However, you won't find me posting on AK or anywhere else about how much I like or dislike "whatever" and how good they aren't. You can't force your preferences on someone else.

You like 901's. I and many others don't. Why not leave it at that? To answer your unasked question, Yes, I've heard them properly set up with adequate power driving them. I still don't like them..

Do you like the TDL speakers you have?
Yes! They are great for A HT setup or stereo. They can be biamped and are pretty efficient. Solid speakers, when I got them I was looking for a pair of biampable speakers and never heard of TDL but found this pair for $100 and it was defintelty $100 well spent! They sound much better biamped. Crisp highs and tight bass! Whether you're powering them with 35Watts or 200Watts they sound great. I think the perfect wattage for them is around 125-150. I've used them with every amp I have and they sound good with them all.

Back
Top Bottom