Bought an LPAUDIO LP-MC80H High Output MC cartridge

mjw21a

Hey guys, I recently bought and received a LPAUDIO LP-MC80H high output MC cartrige off of eBay. I found mention of the cart on here, however no one appears to have mentioned anywhere as to whether it was any good or not so I thought I'd get one and write a little about it.

First up, the cartridge has a user replaceable needle. Something of a nice feature for a moving coil cartridge. The cart itself cost me $180 Australian shipped. Thats only $10 less than what my Denon DL-110 cost me so it was something of a gamble on a cart I could find minimal information on. Using Google Translate on Chinese forums didn't really give me any useful information.

First, I'll cover the nasties. Workmanship appears very nice on this cart, however I quickly found that the needle protector flips across far too easily rather than simply clicking in and out of place such as on the Denon DL-110. Likewise, when handling its not that hard to accidentally remove the needle section from the aluminium cart.

A nice feature though is that it comes with screws + allen key. The screws go straight into the aluminium body so it makes mounting a far easier proposition than what I've experience with Denon carts (I've a DL110, DL103), and even Audio Technica carts (AT120E, AT95E). You just have to be careful not to touch the needle when mounting due to the cover fliping open so easily. Also try not to knock thuser replaceable needle section off the cart.

These may not be be problems for someone with better motor skills than myself. Too many years hitting the spirits. Please note that my listening comparisons are before wear in. The manufacturer specifies 20 hours for this.

Anyway, first up I tried listening to the Best of Cat Stevens followed by Eric Claptons Unplugged album. In each of these the cart sounded equally as detailed as my DL110, although something was missing. It seemed a little to smooth sounding to my ears. It not that it sounded bad, it simply doesn't sound as nice as on my Denon DL110. Obviously a little more volume was needed due to a lower output of 0.8mv compared to 1.6mv with the DL110.

On the other hand, listening to Billy Joels Greats Hits Vol 1 & 2, a record which simply never sounded right on the DL110, which is to say I didn't like it on my MM carts either (MM's don't seem to give enough detail, far better for listening to the Beatles etc). With this album at least the cart sounds absolutely spectacular. With Tracey Chapmans greatest hits, it sounds just a little smoother and sweeter than the DL110. :banana: I'm going to have to try it with other albums which I didn't like the sound of now. :yes:

The cart seems to be fairly quiet, with no audible noise. Significantly better than the DL110 in this respect, particularly one a vinyls inner tracks. Here's the eBay link to the one I bought if anyone wants further specs on the cart: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230817033160?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I think I between the Audio Technica AT95E, Denon DL110 & LPAUDIO LP-MC80H I have a cart thats suitable for all my records now. With my current setup the DL103 sounds flat, lifeless and frankly horrible in general. With any luck changing my phono pre will change this as its actually my most expensive cart.

All up, I think I've made a good purchase. Just for reference, here's a list of the components my sound system is currently comprised of:

Hitachi HT-354 direct drive semi auto turntable w/ cork & nitrile mat (I like semi auto in case I fall asleep listening to music. Less wrecked needles that way)
Yaqin MS-23B Phono Pre w/ Tung Sol reissues. Cambridge Audio 651P on the way to replace this. Too noisy.
Yaqin MC10T Integrated amp w/ Raytheon 12AX7 Black Plates, Raytheon 6414 Black Plates & Current Pro JJ 6CA7's
Sony SS-F6000P Speakers. Eventually to be replaced with Bowers & Wilkins 683 S2's

Last edited:
Welcome to the AK turn table forum!

A forum search turned up a brief mention but no information about this cartridge.

There is no mention of the type of stylus in the specification, have you seen it mentioned else where? :scratch2:

Looking forward to your report after the 20 hour break in period.

No, I was reading a thread on here where the final post was that they'd found the cart and mentioned someone could try it if they were feeling adventurous. I'm relatively new to turntables (same goes for tube amps actually) so I figured I'd give it a try.

As a moving coil cart its not actually that expensive..... The most expensive I own is the DL103, which sounds frankly terrible on my current set up. I'm hoping changing to a Cambridge Audio 651P might fix that. If not, there's a Jensen SUT available locally for $249 Australian so I might give that a try. Quite a lot less expensive than Cinemag SUT's.

So far the LP-MC80H sounds better than the DL110 on some records, and worse on other. The Audio Technica AT95E seems better on older rock music, like the Beatles. Funnily enough the AT95E is my cheapest cart, having cost me just $45 shipped.

The Chinese cart seems to be a bit sweeter sounding I think, getting the same level of detail as the DL110 and with less noise on the inner grooves of an LP. On the other hand, the sound is a little less full so far than the DL110. Certainly not a fan of listening to the Best ofthe Doors on it. The sound doesn't seem rich enough, although I guess its possible that might change with break in.

It does seem to give a better idea of the space things wre recorded in, being able to more clearly hear echo and I guess "air" in a recording. I'm not sure how to explain it. I think it's far to rate this cart as equivalent to the DL110, just lower output and excelling on different records. The Denon certainly has better build quality though.

Ok, I've roughly 6 hours on this cart. Things appear to be coming along nicely. Enjoying listening to some Jim Reeves. I can definitely say this is one of the best I've used. This may end up bettering the DL110, although so far nothing seems to have improved.

A forum search turned up a brief mention but no information about this cartridge.

There is no mention of the type of stylus in the specification, have you seen it mentioned else where? :scratch2:

Looking forward to your report after the 20 hour break in period.

Good point. I don't know what shape the diamond is on these things...... I'm not really seeing the cart improving after play at this point. I've just popped the DL110 back in. It definitely has an edge in most recordings, although some favor the LP-MC80H..... Beginning to think I might just use it as a spare rather than a regular use cart.

My two favs are the DL110 and the AT95E as they're basically completely different to each other and each have different strengths. The AT95E seems to have fatter, more solid music although without the detail of a MC. The DL110 remains my favoured cart for detailed/instrumental type music. The LP-MC80H is similar to the DL110 in detail, although seemingly smoother and without the same solidity to music offered by the other two carts.... I may give it to someone who hasn't yet dicovered the joys of MC carts. It can become my loaner I suppose.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report on your new LPAUDIO LP-MC80H cartridge.

About the Denon DL-103, try it on a turn table with a heavy tone arm first. :scratch2:

Yeah, I'm currently considering replacing my Hitachi HT-354 with a JVC QL-7. From what I've read I may never need to buy another turntable and they're within my price range (up to $500 shipped) . Most of these appear to be in better condition than equivalent Denon TT's, just without that beautiful woodgrain finish the Denon turntables have. I just don't know whether it will make an audible difference is all. Perhaps I'll get the turntable and follow it with a Jensen SUT made by Aurealis. That should make the DL103 sing surely?

Yeah, I'm currently considering replacing my Hitachi HT-354 with a JVC QL-7. From what I've read I may never need to buy another turntable and they're within my price range (up to $500 shipped) . Most of these appear to be in better condition than equivalent Denon TT's, just without that beautiful woodgrain finish the Denon turntables have. I just don't know whether it will make an audible difference is all. Perhaps I'll get the turntable and follow it with a Jensen SUT made by Aurealis. That should make the DL103 sing surely?

The tone arm of the JVC QL-7 is not that much different from the Hitachi HT-354.

Before buying the Jensen SUT, try and audition a mc cartridge like a Denon DL-301 MKII or an Audio Technica AT-OC9ML/II . :music:

The QL-7 would be a better turntable though wouldn't it? Perhaps I can simply add some weights to the head shell.

I may get more carts down the track, though I'd like to figure out how to get my existing sounding nice first. It sounds incredibly dull and lacking in life presently. Every cart I've ever tried (only 5 others admittedly) is far better than it. I figure it's something to do with my set up.

Darn, the DL-301 is one attractive cart. Less than half the price of the AT-OC9ML/II too. It's difficult to justify the cost of a $680 cart when my existing turntable only cost me $180.... At the moment I think my turntable and speakers are the weakest links in my set up. I'm very tempted by the QL-7. I may keep the HT-354 as a backup turntable.

What do you think? Either way, I'm going to need to try everything over again when my new Cambridge Audio 651p arrives. I won't worry about writing anything about that. Plenty of good information available on those already.

Last edited:
Hmm listening to Jimmi Hendrix using the LP-MC80H. Sounds better than any of my other carts for this.... The more time I spend with LPs the Korean I discover there's a huge amount to learn. Between that and my valve amp I think I'll be occupied tweaking for years.

No other cart I have comes close on this lp. Seems to pick out more detail and be far more pleasant on the ear. Seems to sound much more 3 dimensional. I think my biggest challenge is now removing noise from my system.

Definitely becoming a fan of this cart. Seems perfectly suited to rock music. Sounding great listening to Ian Moss.

The tone arm of the JVC QL-7 is not that much different from the Hitachi HT-354.

Before buying the Jensen SUT, try and audition a mc cartridge like a Denon DL-301 MKII or an Audio Technica AT-OC9ML/II . :music:

Hmmmm, I was reading the JVC QL-7 was a good matched for the Denon DL-103 on here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-34878.html

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll order Tuesday night when my pay comes through. Hopefully the last turntable I ever buy. Can't say I won't ever change the tonearm though ;)

I think my existing turntable, preamp and Denon amp can move into my bedroom.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom