Can the whole Darlington Power Pack issue be (finally) put to bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Smith

Had my STK-0050's replaced when one gave up the ghost, in my Pioneer SX-780. I had both replaced. Yes, I had Chinese knockoffs installed. Ran them all weekend, flawless. Can we at least agree that the argument 'they are all junk, they are all going to blow up" is a blanket statement? While I am certain they do not all have the best quality control imaginable, they are likely to work. I even bought a second pair to keep handy.

"NOS" Sanyo Darlingtons are unobtanium in 2018. And installing used ones makes no sense.

Are these receivers preferred to be used as shelf queens? Or, actually listened to?

Your story is the exception rather than the rule
I'm happy for you. Most aren't as fortunate and have fails on the "clones"
There are one or more threads about building discreet components on a pcb with good results.
I'd be hesitant to recommend the knock offs in the open forum.
If you'd like to share your source that might be helpful.

Last edited:
With the shipping time and low cost, great idea to get spares. Can the new outputs handle a full power stress test? It would be interesting to compare the dies to see how much heat transfer is available.

I'd be lying if i told you i serviced anything with these ever.
I have followed more than a few threads where people who have worked on many, have advised against the knock offs .
While I don't think a piece of gear that uses them is likely to join my collection, if I had to source an STK, I'd be reluctant to buy a knock off.
If it being a doorstop and trying said pieces I might be tempted.
If another option (options?) Were available , I'd go that way first. YMMV

I'd be lying if i told you i serviced anything with these ever.
I have followed more than a few threads where people who have worked on many, have advised against the knock offs .
While I don't think a piece of gear that uses them is likely to join my collection, if I had to source an STK, I'd be reluctant to buy a knock off.
If it being a doorstop and trying said pieces I might be tempted.
If another option (options?) Were available , I'd go that way first. YMMV
Given this, I'd say your alternatives are quite limited indeed.

I forget the name- its a distributor in Georgia. These things are not all ticking time bombs.

Respectfully, I'm not sure this is a reasonable conclusion quite yet. Give them another 50 hours. Also, sure would be nice if you could provide more info about sourcing them, given the difficulty of finding good ones.

Respectfully, I'm not sure this is a reasonable conclusion quite yet. Give them another 50 hours. Also, sure would be nice if you could provide more info about sourcing them, given the difficulty of finding good ones.
Not 49, or 51 hours, but 50 hours? OK.

On this topic, I have been told that one of the best things you can do is to power up with the volume all the way down, and bring it up slowly. Then to bring it down before power down, and shut it off. But I am also guessing there are a lot of after market failures due to incorrect installation.

You post to convince us that there is finally a reliable source for these notoriously unreliable aftermarket components, then don't provide the source. You run them for a few days and claim they are solid. Given the difficulties many have had with aftermarket STKs, it seems only logical to give them an extended burn-in before claiming success. But your goal, as usual, appears to be argument and confrontation, rather than sharing useful info.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I am pretty familiar with STK hybrids, I figured I would throw in my 2 cents. While I don't totally trust "Clones" and the majority of hybrids for sale are clones, I have used some on occasions where I didn't have a good alternative. But I was lucky enough to have a friend who had a massive supply of Sanyo STK and Sanken hybrids in his warehouse since the 80's. He was a parts supplier to some of the major parts houses. So I was able to get a reasonable number of each of them as he was shutting down his business. But as expected, heavily used, and therefore most prone to failure chips like the STK0050, STK0100 etc were not to be found in the 17 cases of others, as they had been sold off years ago, either in bulk or as individuals. But he did have quite a few other similar types as in the STK1060, that is almost the same as the STK0060, which is a little heavier than the STK0050. The difference was that the STK1060 had 2 internal resistors. It is easy enough to bend up the 4 center pins of the STK1060, install it, and it will function as well if not better than the original STK0050.
What I am trying to get at is that sometimes subs are a better alternative to taking a chance with clones if the possibility exists.
I also know where the reaminder of the 17 cases went to and could tell people in a pm what and who to look for on the auction site as well as his original on-line site. This fellow has also sold to some of the US parts places, so some of the stock could have resurfaced. But sorry, as I said the STK0050 were not there.
A sad story was finding 3 or 4 cases of original Sanken S-80W Hybrids. Packed in protective Styrofoam sleeves at 20 per sleeve, and probably 8 sleeves per case, these sat in storage since the 80's. They were worth their weight in gold back them, but because the supply dried in in the late 80's I believe people just trashed the units due to lack of parts.

Burn-in? 49 hours? 50 hours? 51? Ran all weekend long, flawlessly. I don't keep track of suppliers. I think they are out of Georgia.

As I am pretty familiar with STK hybrids, I figured I would throw in my 2 cents. While I don't totally trust "Clones" and the majority of hybrids for sale are clones, I have used some on occasions where I didn't have a good alternative. But I was lucky enough to have a friend who had a massive supply of Sanyo STK and Sanken hybrids in his warehouse since the 80's. He was a parts supplier to some of the major parts houses. So I was able to get a reasonable number of each of them as he was shutting down his business. But as expected, heavily used, and therefore most prone to failure chips like the STK0050, STK0100 etc were not to be found in the 17 cases of others, as they had been sold off years ago, either in bulk or as individuals. But he did have quite a few other similar types as in the STK1060, that is almost the same as the STK0060, which is a little heavier than the STK0050. The difference was that the STK1060 had 2 internal resistors. It is easy enough to bend up the 4 center pins of the STK1060, install it, and it will function as well if not better than the original STK0050.
What I am trying to get at is that sometimes subs are a better alternative to taking a chance with clones if the possibility exists.
I also know where the reaminder of the 17 cases went to and could tell people in a pm what and who to look for on the auction site as well as his original on-line site. This fellow has also sold to some of the US parts places, so some of the stock could have resurfaced. But sorry, as I said the STK0050 were not there.
A sad story was finding 3 or 4 cases of original Sanken S-80W Hybrids. Packed in protective Styrofoam sleeves at 20 per sleeve, and probably 8 sleeves per case, these sat in storage since the 80's. They were worth their weight in gold back them, but because the supply dried in in the late 80's I believe people just trashed the units due to lack of parts.
Using old ones makes absolutely no sense. Maybe less of a guarantee than the Off Brand replacements of working. But mine do.

I have installed eBay specials with luck.

BUT

I made sure the rest of the amp was OK before installing the power pack and firing it up.

I would allow that many failed install of fakes may be because the amp was not repaired properly and whatever blew the pack in the first place took out the new fake.

Just saying....

I have installed eBay specials with luck.

BUT

I made sure the rest of the amp was OK before installing the power pack and firing it up.

I would allow that many failed install of fakes may be because the amp was not repaired properly and whatever blew the pack in the first place took out the new fake.

Just saying....
Highly doubtful that the failure rate on these is 100%.

I can make an absolute blanket statement that all blanket statements are worthless. No doubt some work for some period of time. Some fail quickly. My one experience was that, though the thing worked, I could never kill the slight oscillation it had. IMO, that's as good as useless. Even the originals don't seem as robust as discrete circuitry. If you don't make heavy demands in terms of power or low impedance loads, they're probably OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom