cdm 4/19 to cdm2/10 laser swap

absolon

Today was a good day:thmbsp:

I've been playing around trying to optimize a couple of old Philips CD160 CD players. These are equipped with the TDA1541 DAC and CDM2/10 transports and are fertile ground for upgrades. The transports use Hall Drive motors, are very durable and generally read anything; some consider them among the best ever made. The lasers can fail with age and wandering component values and since the CDM2/10 mechanism is no longer available, repair is problematic when they give out.

The laser on one of my decks finally quit leaving me with a non-functioning project. I have a Magnavox CDB500 that had a chip failure but had a still functioning CDM4/19 mechanism. The complete CDM mechanism is physically different enough that it wouldn't fit and doesn't use the Hall Drive spindle motor so the pre-amplifier PCB is not electronically compatible anyway but I had read that the laser pinout and flex connector were the same so the laser might be compatible. The lasers and their housings are of different configuration so it is not possible to swap the laser diode and housing alone. I have read of a possibility that the diodes are the same and could possibly be interchanged with a delicate operation, but that will be plan B.

The swing arm is a slightly different configuration ( CDM 4/19 on the left, CDM2/10 on the right) but dimensionally close enough that a replacement seemed possible.
attachment.php

As it turned out, it did fit the arm mount but there was a point of interference with the mechanism housing (circled on the photo) that prevented the arm from moving the laser far enough in on the disc to read the TOC.
attachment.php

I took a small razor saw and a diamond burr on a Dremel and carved out a notch to allow sufficient clearance for the arm and laser to move in enough to read the TOC.
attachment.php

After reassembly, the deck could and did read a disc so I was able to readjust laser current adjustment pot to give the appropriate reading of 50mV across the test points from the 90 mV which was likely the cause of the original failure. Put it back in the system to test and it works like a champ; it reads the disc and starts playing in just a few seconds. Can't yet speak to the durability of the repair, but I see no reason why it should fail now with fresh caps on the board and correct adjustment.

Attachments

• lasers.jpg
    lasers.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 294
  • problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 278
  • solution.jpg
    solution.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
I'm impressed with your ability to find out so much detailed information about these parts. Very well done :thmbsp:

Just a followup to the thread. Four months in and the laser is still working just as it did when I first made the swap. The only change I would recommend is to cut the notch a little wider and install some sort of a felt bumper. There is a very obvious tick when the laser arm returns to the rest position after playing the disc and bumps against the transport frame.

As well, here is a link to a instructions to adjust the laser back to the 50mV spec required. Directions are at the top of page 6. The appropriate resistor is indicated in red in the bottom right corner of the pcb and locations to attach the jumper wires across the resistor are marked by yellow lines on the photo on page 5.

Does anyone know where a new ribbon for these transports can be had? I have a B&O CD 3300 whose ribbon has given out, otherwise it works fine. Uses the ribbon from the CDM2. Also the CD670. Attempting to replace it was a royal pain, and after 3 successful installations where hanging up was the only remaining issue it eventually tore. Before that it worked fine, all the way up to track 8, where it started hanging up mechanically.

Please let me know. Thx

Mr Bob, Image Perfection
bob@imageperfection.com (apologize if leaving contact info is not allowed -)

Back
Top Bottom