Chorus I upgrades?

JAK

Hello everyone. My first post. I have just replaced my B&W 683S2s with Klipsch Chorus I. :) oh my these are SO much more. My BWs were very refined and crisp. These new speakers take over the entire room. It’s like I went from a bookshelf speaker to a full speaker. These are keepers!

Can someone please tell me if there are some standard and available upgrades that are fairly simple to do? I guess you can take the simple part out and I can have the work done if needed. I am not handy with electrical at all.

I don’t have anything fancy. They are powered with a Adcom GFA 5800 and a parasound P5 preamplifier.

I also am going to get a sub or subs. I was thinking of going Bowers and Wilkins. Does anybody have any suggestions on a pairing?

I am just freaking tickled about the speakers. I thought it was going to be extremely hard to beat my B&Ws. Maybe it is but they have been surpassed. And I do understand there are many speakers much better. I am just referencing my price range and availability

Thank you,
James

One mod that is mentioned a lot is fitting 7" tubes into the ports which increases the bass response. I have no experience myself but I've read about that often. I would recommend the Crites diaphragms for the tweeters, I can attest to that,

One mod that is mentioned a lot is fitting 7" tubes into the ports which increases the bass response. I have no experience myself but I've read about that often. I would recommend the Crites diaphragms for the tweeters, I can attest to that,

I just emailed Bob Crites. You know I really appreciate it and I will also do some looking into 7 inch tubes for what people are using as material

I would think choosing the right location in a room for your speakers and listening position would be much more satisfying than tuning the ports on your speakers. You might want to invest in a FFT or 1/6 th octave spectrums analyzer APP for your computer and a calibrated. test microphone that will feed a USB input. It will be an investment for a life time. Something that just buying tubes won't!

Last edited:
Reactions: JAK
Oooooo nice! Thank you
If you have googled about the port tubes you no doubt have read the MANY reports on how the tubes improve the bass response on the Chorus I. Without the port tuning the Chorus I only manages 45hz 3db+/-.

Yes someone even referenced several on Amazon. Now just getting the measurements right compared to what I see on Amazon. I am just over 4 inches on the vent and there was so many. I know that I need 7 inches long. But I have a few I guess I will just buy an return which ones are wrong. It is such a strong speaker I am hoping to make decent improvement

Yes someone even referenced several on Amazon. Now just getting the measurements right compared to what I see on Amazon. I am just over 4 inches on the vent and there was so many. I know that I need 7 inches long. But I have a few I guess I will just buy an return which ones are wrong. It is such a strong speaker I am hoping to make decent improvement

It's a challenge to find the right diameter tube (& a cardboard tube is fine, that's what some other brands "factory" one's are/were made from). But, most of the pre-made ports you can order online I've found are 4" on the INSIDE & won't fit without enlarging/modifying the original opening...

If you have googled about the port tubes you no doubt have read the MANY reports on how the tubes improve the bass response on the Chorus I. Without the port tuning the Chorus I only manages 45hz 3db+/-.

But, there's still some lower freq response "available" from the big 15" woofer (just @ 10 db down from the rated efficency)
This is off the factory spec sheet:

"For powerful bass response,
this woofer is driven by a 96
ounce (2.72 kg) magnet,
approximately triple the weight
of a typical woofer magnet.
The 15" (38 cm) heavy-duty,
concentrically - ribbed cone is
mounted in a vented enclosure
for higher efficiency and an
extended response down to
36 Hz (-10 dB point)."

minus 10db is gone away bye bye gone. Once you reach minus 3db you have gotten to the point where you can consider the useful bass has rolled away. On a CW the response is going to be minus 3db at 39 Hz and higher with a Chorus. Give some power to a Chorus or a Chorus ll and you will be shocked by how hard they can hit the low notes and by how much air they can move. The CW is a better choice for small amps and it goes a little lower. The Chorus/ll will not fail to impress if provided some serious power, that is what it was designed for.
Folks have successfully transplanted the larger tractrix mid horn used in both the Forte ll and the Chorus ll into Chorus and into CW's, just mentioning this as an option to improve your favorite loudspeaker. If you are building a new motorboard to install a larger mid horn then place the tweeter above the woofer and the mid horn above the tweeter so the mid horn is up at the top of the cabinet and closer to your seated ear position. For an added free bonus you will gain some free time alignment between the tweeter and the mid horn by doing so.

minus 10db is gone away bye bye gone. Once you reach minus 3db you have gotten to the point where you can consider the useful bass has rolled away. On a CW the response is going to be minus 3db at 39 Hz and higher with a Chorus. Give some power to a Chorus or a Chorus ll and you will be shocked by how hard they can hit the low notes and by how much air they can move. The CW is a better choice for small amps and it goes a little lower. The Chorus/ll will not fail to impress if provided some serious power, that is what it was designed for.
Folks have successfully transplanted the larger tractrix mid horn used in both the Forte ll and the Chorus ll into Chorus and into CW's, just mentioning this as an option to improve your favorite loudspeaker. If you are building a new motorboard to install a larger mid horn then place the tweeter above the woofer and the mid horn above the tweeter so the mid horn is up at the top of the cabinet and closer to your seated ear position. For an added free bonus you will gain some free time alignment between the tweeter and the mid horn by doing so.

Thanks for the clarification Moray, some great info there!
I have some Chorus 1's (& La Scalas) & for music listening (not HT) the Chorus has PLENTY of bass for the music I like (classic rock, jazz, classical) no matter what the spec sheet says :)

It's a challenge to find the right diameter tube (& a cardboard tube is fine, that's what some other brands "factory" one's are/were made from). But, most of the pre-made ports you can order online I've found are 4" on the INSIDE & won't fit without enlarging/modifying the original opening...

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Maili...0536&sr=1-1&keywords=Scotch+Mailing+Tube+7982

This is the one "Tube" I've found that may fit, but haven't tried it yet.
However, I did try the ones from Parts Express, (don't bother) too big, sent em back

57156226-B02B-47B4-B7DC-932AC1C7F999.jpeg
Thanks for the clarification Moray, some great info there!
I have some Chorus 1's (& La Scalas) & for music listening (not HT) the Chorus has PLENTY of bass for the music I like (classic rock, jazz, classical) no matter what the spec sheet says :)
I’m currently booming

Right on. I ran my bw 683s2’s for a year same pre & amp. My neighbor has never came over and complained until my first night auditioning the chorus :) thunderous

Attachments

• 5ED7E14B-1D1A-4C1D-BCFB-85E4FAEA3441.jpeg
    5ED7E14B-1D1A-4C1D-BCFB-85E4FAEA3441.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DFE227A2-A399-47A8-8F96-E763FAF6BF34.jpeg
    DFE227A2-A399-47A8-8F96-E763FAF6BF34.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 22
Hello everyone. My first post. I have just replaced my B&W 683S2s with Klipsch Chorus I. :) oh my these are SO much more. My BWs were very refined and crisp. These new speakers take over the entire room. It’s like I went from a bookshelf speaker to a full speaker. These are keepers!

Can someone please tell me if there are some standard and available upgrades that are fairly simple to do? I guess you can take the simple part out and I can have the work done if needed. I am not handy with electrical at all.

I don’t have anything fancy. They are powered with a Adcom GFA 5800 and a parasound P5 preamplifier.

I also am going to get a sub or subs. I was thinking of going Bowers and Wilkins. Does anybody have any suggestions on a pairing?

I am just freaking tickled about the speakers. I thought it was going to be extremely hard to beat my B&Ws. Maybe it is but they have been surpassed. And I do understand there are many speakers much better. I am just referencing my price range and availability

Thank you,
James
Got Chorus IIs did the Crites tweet upgrade was a big improvement replaced them myself if I can do it anyone can! Thinking about the crossovers but they sound so great now can’t imagine . Will end up doing after the 1st of the year.
Mr Crites is super accessible and helpful guy!
Good luck with your chorus Is

Back
Top Bottom