Colunm ii

It seems like when people look to value things, they check the auction sites and audiokarma. Welp, since the auction site doesn't have any decent info on sales, all that's left is this ak thread. I say well north of 1g... ( I have a pair) Supply and demand!

Column IIs are awesome speakers, but they're not worth $1k+ I'm afraid. They just don't have the draw of some of the other top Infinities like Kappa 9, QLS, RS-1, Beta, etc.

I recently sold a pair in near mint condition that was fully restored (new caps, foam, etc) for $350 to a fellow AKer. I felt I was giving a pretty good deal, but they sat out on the marketplace for a few weeks before that. Just shows that even though a speaker sounds like a lot of money, it doesn't mean they're worth a lot of money.

I've seen them go for slightly more and slightly less. Anything under $500 would be a good deal in my opinion. They're great speakers, if a little bass heavy.

One of the best bargains in audio IMO, especially since they are one of the few speakers I can unequivocally say really do not need a subwoofer.

I found 2 pairs in well worn but working condition for 25$ each in my area not too long ago. Their values are really all over the place.

25 dollars each for a pair of infinity column iis .. gee.. they were being given away... Here's what you do.. grab them..with utmost care take out all the components (im assuming all the drivers work) crossovers need to come out, but be really careful.. they are stapled to the inside of the cabinets. After that, re caulk the cabinets on the inside. Pay close attention to the two wooden feet that support the speaker. These feet can be a source of air leaks. It is imperative that you get the leaks sealed completely. There should be a lot of white batten stuff inside as well.. this is necessary to keep. THEN, refinish the wood grain. I suggest a black lacquer paint with several clear coats on top to give a shiny deep black appearance. THEN, inspect all drivers, re-foam where necessary... AND DO IT RIGHT. Re-staple the crossovers back in and use a thin layer of silicone very carefully to insure that they are AIR TIGHT. Re-install all drivers using the same thin silicone method and re screw back in... if necessary, rotate drivers where necessary to get a better bite on the wood (but dont forget to SEAL UP ALL OLD HOLES FIRST) .. The tweeters (front and rear) are an awkward installation because they just push in and are held there with friction. They can loosen over time, so figure out a way to secure them and make them AIR TIGHT. If you have the original (smoked) glass tops, great. If not get some glass cut. As far as the grill, there's no way yours are not broken, so send them out (even if they are in pieces) to a grill place to have them remade. THEN, after all is re-assembled (dont forget all the batten) and the caulking is cured, check them for leaks... This is easy.. very carefully push on the bottom (downward facing) woofer and observe the front facing woofer. The front facing woofer should billow out as you push. if you hold the bottom fireing woofer, the front woofer should hold out too.. It would be acceptable if the front slowly returned to its natural position..but only slowly. If it billows out and goes back quickly, THEY ARE NOT AIR TIGHT ENOUGH. and you did something wrong. .. Any way.. if all goes right, you can power these with vintage or new power from 50 to 150 watts. These are some of the most efficient vintage infinities ever made with a rating of 92. In the end, you will have a unique experience (if the drivers are all ok and you hooked them up correctly) These speakers will rock loud and can fill a large space with sound. But dont overdo, you will fry the crossovers. (use correct fuse, I dont remember at the moment) Anyway, they will be worth 1000 dollars plus (unfortunately, only to you) but who cares?, they are a superb sounding speaker. Placement is critical, and off axis listening is a little quirky, but set up your sweet spot and you will have tons of fun. And will be enjoying a sound that you will have to spend a lot of bucks these days to replicate. Although these speakers lack refinement at super low levels, they are amazing at moderate to loud levels, and will fill up a large space with club like performance. Remember, these speakers reflect the genius of the most early work by Arnie Nudell. If you need a wiring diagram or other instructions, let me know.. Good luck

I found 2 pairs in well worn but working condition for 25$ each in my area not too long ago. Their values are really all over the place.

That's definitely not the normal price you are going to find them at. $350.00 is more realistic

Back
Top Bottom