Copper plated goodness!

Twestby

While disassembling my newly acquired PD-93 for a cleaning and a polish of the faceplate, I started marveling at the build quality again. I have a couple more Elite single CD players and decided to compare them side by side.

I took some pictures so you can come along too!

PD-75, PD-73, PD-91, PD-93

dsc06264cu.jpg

dsc06275lm.jpg

Almost wish you had clear covers, doesn't it.
I have a DV-9. Same thing inside, just beautiful.

I know right!?!

I have a DV-09(or 2) also. And it is also just so densely packed inside!

Actually, they aren't. A power board on one side, a big board on the other. A board (or two) stacked on top of the drive in the middle and a little video out board in the middle on the back.

Everything unplugs and unscrews. You can take them apart all the way to the feet. There must be 100 screws! Cool that way. The service manual is a nightmare. I have a bad power board on one and can't understand the schematics.

You know, you are right, it's not that packed. But it feels very dense when I pick it up, similar to the PD-75. It's heavy, but it's not just the weight, it's how it's distributed.

Anyway, mine had a power board issue and I fixed it following a thread here. What did yours do?

Man-o-man....darn beauts all of 'em! That PD75 is really something. I have been looking for one of them for a long time. Probably one of the best players in the world.
Great photos.......enjoy your new units!

It never ceases to amaze what you see in this forum. What a cool display of pure copper. I have a silver faced PD-S95 with the same innards, but I've only had the hood open one time. The black and burl models are just beautiful. It's just fantastic what Pioneer did with these higher end units. They will be highly sought after for many years to come.

Looks familiar, makes me think :scratch2: - but then I am enjoying my PD-65.

Do you think wrapping the caps in copper foil makes any difference or just one of those OCD things engineering (or marketing) types do?
Personally I'm under the impression that without the copper foil being grounded it doesn't do much.

Man-o-man....darn beauts all of 'em! That PD75 is really something. I have been looking for one of them for a long time. Probably one of the best players in the world.
Great photos.......enjoy your new units!

I really love my PD-75. I`ve had it since new. I just got the PD-93 and so far it`s a toss up between the 2.

It`s very interesting to me the generational differences between the players. 1988 to 1990 to 1992...

I would like to see a PD-S95 on the inside...

It never ceases to amaze what you see in this forum. What a cool display of pure copper. I have a silver faced PD-S95 with the same innards, but I've only had the hood open one time. The black and burl models are just beautiful. It's just fantastic what Pioneer did with these higher end units. They will be highly sought after for many years to come.

It was fun! It is pretty cool and I am thankful I can indulge another hobby now in a way that I could not have done back then.

I`d like to see the inside of your PD-S95...please post a picture...?

Looks familiar, makes me think :scratch2: - but then I am enjoying my PD-65.

Do you think wrapping the caps in copper foil makes any difference or just one of those OCD things engineering (or marketing) types do?
Personally I'm under the impression that without the copper foil being grounded it doesn't do much.

Thanks Jim, and no, stop thinking. :nono: Enjoy your PD-65!

As far as the foil wrapped caps go; I don`t want to turn this into a 'is it marketing or is it engineering' thread.

But I will say that I just spent a good hour reading about eddy currents, skin effect, RFI, EMI, etc in relation to copper foil wrapped capacitors. It seems there are people who know so much more about this than I do which is a good thing.

I will also say that I seem to remember some marketing blurb related to it from Pioneer back around the time I bought my PD-75 new.

I also think it looks nice and shows attention to detail.

It was fun! It is pretty cool and I am thankful I can indulge another hobby now in a way that I could not have done back then.

I`d like to see the inside of your PD-S95...please post a picture...?

I don't think it is as loadup up as your PD-93 since there are no DAC components in there. I have to remove it from my stereo cabinet, which can be a big deal sometimes. Let me see what I can do.

I have a PD-91 mint condition and want to know your opinion about how much the value in $$ for my unit ( with remote) ? thank you.

Back
Top Bottom