Delmonico / Nivico Model 219...Any info?

dvdchance

Someone was throwing this out...now I have my first bit of tube gear. But what's the skinny on this unit. Any good?

I plugged it in outside, and it works. AM sounds strong, FM so so. Turntable plays but speed selector doesn't switch from 33. From reading the 1 page instruction sheet that was inside the cabinet, you needed a MPX adapter to get stereo FM

Well, the brand name Nivico was the used for imported products by what is now known as JVC. Back then, most of that gear was rebranded by US firms and importers who had 'off-shored' manufacturing to increase margins.

The Nivico brand was dropped once JVC got their own distribution channels set up in the US.

Don't know a thing about the model but might if there's a pic.....

Cheers,

David

JVC=Japanese Victor Company (or Corp)= Nippon Victor Co(rp). = Nivico. The "Delmonico" brand was apparently used, at least in the US, too.

Gimbels sold Delmonico branded consoles imported from West Germany as shown here in this Sept. 1958 ad: (You might check the tube brands as a clue to the country of origin.)

DelmonicoSept58.jpg

I dragged home a Delmonico console that looked like this one a week ago... bizarre! It had a German made mono radio chassis with EL84 output, a separate mono amp with push-pull 50C5s for the other channel. Speakers made by Quam (code 270). Isolation transformer and p-p output transformer screwed to the bottom. Glossy veneered flakeboard case was put together with knock-down fasteners - so I assume it was imported as a "kit". The cabinet was in poor shape from barn storage - I didn't even THINK about saving it. Firewood.

Thanks for the replies. Actually it is made in Japan, says so on the back of the cabinet and in the user guide. Victor Company of Japan, Limited exclusively for Delmonico Int. Corp; Maspeth, New York, NY.

It actually is sounding better as I play it more. When I first tried it all the controls were real scratchy and tthe sound itself was real thin. I listened to it yesterday for a few albums worth, and it was sounding much fuller.

Is that something about tubes that it sounds better after using it for awhile? Like if it wasn't used for a long time like I'm assuming it wasn't?

2 problems that I've noticed are the FM sounds real low. Maybe I need a better antennea, but even on the strongest local station at full volume it's low. Is it a seperate tube that controls FM, since AM blasts real loud and clear.

And the turntable gives a bit of rumble. To be expected I guess since it didn't even turn when I first tried it, I had to manually turn it awhile to get it started. I think it's an ideler model, so it might have a bad spot on it since it's not a steady rumble but more like a thump actually.

A question, why does it say if you get a hum, to reverse the AC plug?

Here's a picture of the consolette I found in another thread, except my controls don't lift up like in the photo, or maybe they were unscrewed?
attachment.php

Pretty cool, congrats! :thmbsp: Yeah, the FM is most likely seperate from AM, and it might just need cleaning. Try finding and pulling the FM tube, and squirt a tiny bit of DeOx in the socket's openings, as well as the tube's pins. That plus just the rocking motion of pulling it & reinstalling it might get things working right. Good luck. :smoke:

A question, why does it say if you get a hum, to reverse the AC plug?
Because AC outlets are polarized (one prong 'hot', the other 'neutral'); one plug orientation will typically minimize hum in the circuit.

Pretty cool, congrats! :thmbsp: Yeah, the FM is most likely seperate from AM, and it might just need cleaning. Try finding and pulling the FM tube, and squirt a tiny bit of DeOx in the socket's openings, as well as the tube's pins. That plus just the rocking motion of pulling it & reinstalling it might get things working right. Good luck. :smoke:

Yeah I think it does too cause on the back it gives the tube numbers and location and it shows seperate am and fm tubes.

Stupid question, but how do you remove them, just grip the body and rock them out?

Because AC outlets are polarized (one prong 'hot', the other 'neutral'); one plug orientation will typically minimize hum in the circuit.

Indeed, I looked close at the cord; the one now is polorized; it was cut a few inches from the connector on the back panel and a replacement cord added. I used an old cheater adapter and reversing it eliminites the little hum it had.

Don't be too nervous, tubes are actually pretty sturdy. Just grab the glass & wiggle it back & forth while pulling, and you'll get it right out. About the only things you want to be careful of, is keeping it mostly straight up & down, to avoid bent pins, & have dry hands so you don't mess up the lettering. Kinda pay attention to the orientation of the tube & socket, for putting it back in. Most are keyed, but not all of them, and if it's not, you want to look for where a pin is "missing". Just take your time, & it'll look REALLY simple once you do it. ;) BTW, in case it has a shield that's built into the tuner, you won't be able to see the socket very well, if at all, so you have to reinstall by "feel". Just practice on one that's out in the open, till you understand what I mean.

This thing is just getting cooler and cooler. I opened the back and really wasn't able to remove and reinsert all the tubes. I was able to kinda rock them all though. It seemed to help FM a bit, but what really made all the difference was running a cable and attaching my outdoor FM antennea.

Wow this thing sounds awesome. How did they get such a full sound out of this box?

It has two speakers per channel. FM mono booms in now. Too bad whoever bought this didn't buy the FM stereo adapter :( Me thinks it will be tough to find an adapter now.

Inside it had an envelope glued to the side with the schemetic of the unit. Was this common back in the day? Did they really want you to be able to fix something?

Now that the radio section is purring nicely, what can I do about the turntable?

It does play, but it makes a thump while it's turning and the sound is much louder out of the left channel then the right.

The schmetic lists the TT as a SRC-8, will another TT of that size fit or is this specific to this console? The stylus is one of those flip over ones that 1 side is for LP's the other for 78's, so I'm guessing it's a ceramic. Would a MM cartridge work or not enough output?

A few pics of my consolette.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 162
You may need to replace the coupling caps and electrolytic caps in this console. Some old caps get leaky and can upset the bias on tubes, causing them to conduct too much current.

Think of it as a tune-up, or overhaul.

Your tt is a Nivico idler drive. I suspect the thump could be from the idler wheel sitting parked against the platter for a number of years. They develop a tiny flat spot in that area if they sit for ages. It may work itself out after a long while, but maybe not. The fact that it is still grabbing the platter and is springy enough to turn it is pretty cool and good. But you may have to use your noodle to figure out if the thump is mechanical (idler) or electrical (leaky caps) in nature. Leaky cap thumping is more irregular. The idler is really regular - you may be able to determine its pattern by watching the platter. The TT forum can help you if it is the idler. It can be involved, but worth it. Or maybe you live with it a while. It is a really cool party box to be sure. There was one on ebay for ages that had the TT and a TV as well. Stylin'!

Your tt is a Nivico idler drive. I suspect the thump could be from the idler wheel sitting parked against the platter for a number of years. They develop a tiny flat spot in that area if they sit for ages. It may work itself out after a long while, but maybe not. The fact that it is still grabbing the platter and is springy enough to turn it is pretty cool and good. But you may have to use your noodle to figure out if the thump is mechanical (idler) or electrical (leaky caps) in nature. Leaky cap thumping is more irregular. The idler is really regular - you may be able to determine its pattern by watching the platter. The TT forum can help you if it is the idler. It can be involved, but worth it. Or maybe you live with it a while. It is a really cool party box to be sure. There was one on ebay for ages that had the TT and a TV as well. Stylin'!

Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty sure it is the idler because it is a very regular thump. If I turn the platter with my finger I hear it, what's odd at least 2 me is if I spin the platter reverse it is more pronounced.

After keeping the platter running whenever I have the radio playing it does seem to have lessened quite a bit. I've got to also track down the bad right channel problem with the TT. Would it help to remove and reattach the leads into the cartridge?

It actually does sound pretty damn good for it's age. It is probably the best I've ever heard AM sound, and FM mono sounds nice too as long as you have a strong signal.

Back
Top Bottom