Difference between AT3600 and AT3600L

Jicafold

Hello, Long time listener, first time caller. I'm new to vinyl and I have a newly purchased Technics SL-Q2 I got at the flea market that needs a cartridge. I've read and browsed for a budget cartridge and wonder what is the difference between the AT3600 and AT3600L. The only information I see is that the L requires a heavier tracking weight. But why would you want to buy one over the other? Or perhaps I should skip those and try the AT95E. I've done some searching on this site and cannot find my answer.

My other recently purchased turntable is a Yamaha TT-400U with an AT92E, but that's a P mount. Sounds fine to me. I imagine the Technics is a better turntable.

Hello, Long time listener, first time caller. I'm new to vinyl and I have a newly purchased Technics SL-Q2 I got at the flea market that needs a cartridge. I've read and browsed for a budget cartridge and wonder what is the difference between the AT3600 and AT3600L. The only information I see is that the L requires a heavier tracking weight. But why would you want to buy one over the other? Or perhaps I should skip those and try the AT95E. I've done some searching on this site and cannot find my answer.

My other recently purchased turntable is a Yamaha TT-400U with an AT92E, but that's a P mount. Sounds fine to me. I imagine the Technics is a better turntable.

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

According to your information the Audio Technica AT 3600L requires a higher tracing force.

That would be more suitable for a heavier tone arm, correct? :idea:

Yes, I would assume so. But why would you want a heavier tracking force? And doesn't heavier tracking lead to accelerated record wear?

Yes, I would assume so. But why would you want a heavier tracking force? And doesn't heavier tracking lead to accelerated record wear?

not if the heavier tracking is needed due to a more massive (EF) arm combined with a lower compliance cantilever/suspension. record wear is due more to micro-mis tracking, not so much regrading downforce.

I have a Rega RP-1 with the Rega Carbon cartridge, which supposedly is some iteration of the 3600. Sounds
good to me with all different kinds of music. Mine is tracking slightly lighter than "pushing-the-counterweight-up-to-the-stop," as the salesman set it up and using a digital gauge made it a little lighter. 1 1/2 years in, no issues that I am aware of.

The AT3600 (AKA: CN5625AL) sounds better than the AT3600L. I've compared them both in the same body on the same turntable.

The L is used in a lot of cheap tables without adjustable tracking force. It is just a low compliance version of the stylus.

OK! Unburied a printout of info on AT cartridges as I was (deep) cleaning off my desk, at SWMBO's insistance...:rolleyes:

"The AT3600L cartridge is available exclusively to turntable manufacturers...supplied as a budget model moving magnet cartridge.

For similar application our entry model AT91 provides better performances (sic.)

AT91 standard tracking force being 2g instead of 3.5g for AT3600L, using AT91 will improve the life of your vinyl records.

The AT3600 can be upgraded in order to minimize record wear using replacement stylus ATN91.
The Upgrade is only possible if your turntable tonearm features tracking force adjustment."

I guess all this time I have been maximizing my record wear :confused:

The info goes on to say/show that the AT91 conical stylus MM Stereo cartridge has a 2.0g tracking force, and is sold
in North America as model CN5625AL...this is the white body/yellow stylus.

Looking at a spec chart, it seems that aside from the stylus, the AT94E, AT93 and AT90 are similar, while the AT95E and AT93 are similar, the AT95E being the top of the series.

What about the AT3600CF? From the turntableneedles.com website. "NEW! If you select the genuine version of the needle on this cartridge, it will now come with a carbon fiber cantilever for more accurate sound reproduction & stronger damage control should the tonearm be dropped. The "NO LOGO" version is a genuine Audio-Technica product featuring the carbon fiber cantilever without the logo printed on the front. It does have the Audio-Technica logo stamped very small on the inside-right of the needle body." Anyone give this a try? Seems a bargin for the price.

Hmmmm, that does sound interesting. So, more accurate sound reproduction than what.....the regular AT3600? And if you use the turntable / cartridge matching on that webpage it doesn't list the AT3600 but rather the AT95E. Now why would that be?

Last edited:
Yes, I found with the Carbon version of this cartridge that it actually tracks at around 1.75gms in a Rega RP1...and is very solid and steady at that light tracking weight. :) Much better than another that I experienced that looked the same, with the 'carbon fibre' cantilever that needed around 3.5gms... that one must have been the 'L' version!
That's the problem with AT cartridges - there are too many sharing similar numbers, and even very different numbers, that are all the same...but then with an odd letter added here and there, and the cartridge is very different, but none of these are shown on the main website!
That Carbon version of the cartridge performs very well indeed; it came as a complete surprise as to just how good it sounds!!
Fortunately, when it comes to the AT95E, there are no other 'hidden' variations, and they perform very well indeed, and to me, sound superb once dialled-in properly... very open, clean, and detailed, with excellent bass and treble extension, and also a very wide sound-stage... :)
I currently track my AT95E at 2.2gms, and this also shows no signs of IGD. :)

The info goes on to say/show that the AT91 conical stylus MM Stereo cartridge has a 2.0g tracking force, and is sold
in North America as model CN5625AL...this is the white body/yellow stylus.

Interesting that they equate the AT91 and CN5625AL. I have the latter (black plastic and metal body, yellow stylus), and its specifications differ from the AT91 in a few areas: .7 mil stylus rather than .6 mil, 4.2mV output instead of 3.5mV, aluminum alloy cantilever rather than carbon fibre reinforced ABS. I like the CN5625AL and have used several of them over the years; I greatly prefer its tonal balance to the AT95E.

I've heard the AT3600L in a friend's Music Hall USB-1, and it sounds fine to me also. I've never heard the regular AT3600 or the AT91 as they are not marketed in my area.

I agree, for your budget, the Audio-Technica AT 95e is an excellent cartridge and outperforms the AT 3600 family. Alternatively, the Ortofon Omega is also a nice choice on this tonearm. Both are great budget options.

So all the genuine Audio Technica branded AT91 styli are 0.6 mil conical? That's the size and shape I prefer. Ellipticals wear out too quickly in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom