DIY: Cabinet Build for GR-Research X-LS Encore Bookshelf

omishra

This kit was spotted by one of the forum member of HiFi Vision. There was subsequent activity of Gr-Research drivers group purchase especially the X-LS Encore Kits on Indian forum where I visit regularly. For more information on kits please look at internet search.

I got one X LS Encore Bookshelf kit for me with Sonicap upgrade and no Rez lining. Also our FM 'sachu888' got same kit without upgrades. This thread will display moments of build for both pairs of boxes. I am posting this here for other FMs.

Kit -
xlsecorekitpic.jpg

documentation - http://gr-research.com/pdf/X-LS Encore box.pdf

I got panels cut from single 4'X8' 18mm MDF sheet with the help of cut list. The material is quite heavy and stacking pasting double panels for front and back plates made it super heavy. You can imagine these all below panels are for 2 pairs (4) bookshelf speakers.

image799.jpg

Double stacked front and back panels were given for making holes. I planned getting 3mm veneer over this. So that countersink groove will not be required as I have done outer hole in veneer bigger which made same effect of 3mm countersink after pasting veneer.

Meanwhile I am started pasting boxes keeping all 90 deg angles.

image800.jpg

Holes were cut into panels and veneer. They were accurately matched and you can see countersink was not required as veneer does the job.

image801.jpg

bracing up
image802.jpg

These braces are so hard, individually each holds weight of box.
image803.jpg

Steps one, two and three... the panel inner edges are smoothed.

image804u.jpg

image805.jpg

Silicon sealant applied for better though there were no gaps. Still I want peaceful sleep.

image806d.jpg

image807.jpg

- One pair was lined with Tar-felt-tar layers (~3-4mm in total). Its quite heavy and killed the ringing in the box panel. Now boxes are dead silent with external tapping. Weight gained by each box is approx 1.5Kg (1 Kg Tar and 2 Kg Felt for pair).
- I am using No-Rez in remaining two boxes. It is worth of money. I took small time to cut and paste the panels. It sticks very hard and could not be peeled off. Panels are dead silent for vibrations and external tapping. Not a single 1/4" wasted. All completely used up. See bottom panel is empty for X-Over and other panels are fully covered.

See below pics before Polyfill stuffed and No-Rez cutouts are yet to be attached.

image809i.jpg

Now started looking at X-over for Sonicap upgrade and wiring judgements. Bottoms of Boxes will be hosting this parts covered with polyfill material.

image810u.jpg

Stuffing added into each box of Sachin. This is approx 250gms each. Old pillow sacrificed. Holding more 250 gm for covering remaining crossovers.

image811v.jpg

Other two boxes with no Rez finished from inside, waiting for external finish and all 4 boxes are going to carpenters workshop and then proceed towards polish guy

image812y.jpg

finishing touches -

image815.jpg

Now boxes are ready and I am assembling my cross over for Sonicap upgrade. Sachin's (sachu888) box will be done next. I am planning refill of poly wool after cleaning it again.
All boxes are same colored - mat finish only camera flash made some difference in color.

image817q.jpg

image818u.jpg

image819.jpg

image820z.jpg

image821.jpg

Completed -
Crossover before covering with 1" polyfill. Wire were ample, another 10" left with me. This is heaviest bookshelf I have ever handled. Crossover is attached to bottom with the help of 4 screws.

image822t.jpg

image823.jpg

image824.jpg

image826.jpg

image827.jpg

image828.jpg

Initial impressions:
Bass is detailed and filling the room while front baffle is 20" from backside wall. This distance is affecting to LF very much. In bedroom setup (back wall was >2ft away) with any volume level I was able to hear bass guitar strings. High are smooth but need to open up. Compared to Wharfedale 9.2 which sounds BASS heavy, this sounds in control. Initial harshness in vocals decreased after couple of hours play. Just getting this operated in Run-in condition with TV and DIY Tripath Amp 2022 (100W/ch). Overall

Meanwhile Sachu888's boxes are ready. Initial impression are good - similar to no-rez'ed box. LF is open and enough. Other issues are same like stated earlier - burn-in required. I tested just for 2 hrs or so. :music:

Sachu888's boxes below -

image829.jpg

Now I am using this pair since last one month and I am very happy about my choice and efforts. This is one of the best speakers I listened in bookshelf category. :music: :thmbsp:
Now I will move this to my bedroom setup where I will pair them with my Pass F5 turbo power amp which will be completed during next few weeks time.

Very nice job, Omishra! Do you happen to have a schematic for the crossover that you are using?

Nicely built speakers.I am using them since 15 days,beats many higher priced commercial speakers. Omishra did a great job.Few pics:

dsc05059a.jpg

dsc05058z.jpg

dsc05060zb.jpg

dsc05061g.jpg

dsc05062z.jpg

Regards,
Sachin

Thank you everybody.

Very nice job, Omishra! Do you happen to have a schematic for the crossover that you are using?
Yes that kit contained schematic but without values of inductors. IMO it is Danny's own design for this kit/drivers.

Goodness, do you really not have any better place to mount your speakers? Love the overbuilt cabs :thmbsp:

Goodness, do you really not have any better place to mount your speakers? Love the overbuilt cabs :thmbsp:
Thank you,

Are you telling about my speakers mounted on stands along with TV? or sachu8888's post inside furniture?

I will moving my speakers to my bedroom which is my listening room and has same stands but no TV. Also it has better sources like TT, tuner and CDP with Pass B1 pre amp, hexfet power amp.

I was talking about sachu's inside the shelf at floor level. I generally try to keep my mouth shut about people's arrangements unless they are asking for advice, but that one... it just seems like there must be a better option.

I was talking about sachu's inside the shelf at floor level. I generally try to keep my mouth shut about people's arrangements unless they are asking for advice, but that one... it just seems like there must be a better option.

Thanks dumptruck.This is a temporary arrangement.I am building proper speaker stands for them :yes:

Regards,
Sachin

Back
Top Bottom