do you plug your holes?!

I've got a McIntosh C28 that had some original RCA shorting plugs on the unused Phono input. I also have a Soundcraftsman PE 2217 that has this printed on the rear panel. "For optimum performance install shorting plugs on all unused inputs." I'm off to watch the videos as I've wondered why shorting is a good thing.

I use Silicone RCA Port Anti - Dust Stopper Caps. I use them to keep the dust out. :)

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I use them on my gear. No noticed sound improvement. However, keeps the inputs clean and dust free. Looks cool too.

I'm gonna call :bs:on the concept. How's any hum gonna be induced in an input not in the circuit? The only benefit I see is keeping unused jacks clean & keeping small bugs from crawling in via the center hole. As opposed to F-connector termination plugs (75 ohm) used on unused output jacks on video signal sources on taps, splitters,etc of CATV systems.

Yes, I use the apparently "ridiculously expensive ones that [C]ardas sells" but just the caps w/o the shorting pins on all unused preamp inputs/outputs and the unused RCA inputs on the amp. I'm in the "Every little thing probably helps, so what harm does it do if I can't measure it but think I can hear a difference?" camp.

The main reason mine go unused is the ones I purchased have fairly substantial plastic installation/grips so they will not fit side by side on my Pass2.

The main reason mine go unused is the ones I purchased have fairly substantial plastic installation/grips so they will not fit side by side on my Pass2.
Grind a clearance flat on each one, align flats together, stick 'em in there, done!:)(I've had to do this on a patch cord occasionally so the ends would fit in back of the 500c's & Dynaco SCA-80Q. Domestic RCA strips a bit crammed back in the day when cords just had bare cups on the ends, not the big fat grips common today.)

Signal getting past the selector switch could egress from an unprotected RCA jack and could ingress back into the signal path. All your interconnects and speaker wire are back there exposed to this noise. Do everything you can by eliminating any possibility of stray signal spoiling your listening experience. Gold plated plugs are a must have for the discerning audiophile.

Kidding, of course. Trying some snake oil while stuck at home.

Last edited:
Signal getting past the selector switch could egress from a unprotected RCA jack and could ingress back into the signal path. All your interconnects and speaker wire are back there exposed to this noise. Do everything you can by eliminating any possibility of stray signal spoiling your listening experience. Gold plated plugs are a must have for the discerning audiophile.

Kidding, of course. Trying some snake oil while stuck at home.
Witches brew with vodka. That was :jump:

Back
Top Bottom