Does it seem like the activity at AK has slowed?

Does it seem like the forums have slowed down in the last year.

• No, not at all.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • Maybe just a little.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Seems like there is less active lately.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • Yes, it's slowed down noticeably.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • Holy crap, where did everyone go.

Votes: 9 8.0%

• Total voters

Rob41

Don't stop believin'
Just curious if it's just me or if anyone else has noticed a slow down at the forums.

I think I'm here almost 10 years now and used to have a membership. Not sure why I don't come here as often, but most of my time seems to be spent chasing mastering info and discussing music. I spend more time on other sites but this one is still special to me.

Well a lot of people have left with great knowledge and really good systems who are needless to say a bit burnout around here. Not that they are not posting, just not here.

I guess it does seem a bit less "hoppin'" than I remember. I used to come here more in the past, I think I stopped coming around when the forum changed, now I can't even remember how it used to function and like it fine just how it is. Need to subscribe again and get in on the BT action. Is BT slower than it used to be?

I see less group effort which used to be kind of the norm, such as crossover designing, enclosure box designing etc. The site got semi fired up about a year ago when it looked like some of the very knowledgeable speaker designers were going to explore a new speaker design, but something happened and it fell through the crack.

Also to me much more back-biting.

Certainly can't speak for others but I'll be spending somewhat less time now that motorcycling season, fishing, and other outdoor activities are more pleasantly accomplished.

The signal to noise ratio of discussions has plummeted precipitiously in the past year or so, from my perspective, and the cast of characters posting regularly has developed an increasingly mean-spirited (and juvenile) tone.

I don't have the patience nor energy for it., so I spend most of my time elsewhere.

The signal to noise ratio of discussions has plummeted precipitiously in the past year or so, from my perspective, and the cast of characters posting regularly has developed an increasingly mean-spirited (and juvenile) tone.

I don't have the patience nor energy for it., so I spend most of my time elsewhere.

The reality is that the drama level has plummeted precipitously and it's the new norm for threads about third-rail topics to go through uneventful life cycles and die quietly. Maybe it's boredom. Maybe it's skepticism fatigue. Dunno. But the drama days seem to be behind us. You're missed. Spend more time here and get an avatar.

It's outdoors time and with 640 acres to take care of I'm usually out the door by 8 if not earlier.

Well, now thats its almost mid-May, and Memorial Day is getting close,
I, for one, am spending more time OUTside and less in the forums here..

I think it has gotten a lot better here lately . Some of the old rable rousers have been silent for awhile .

I think in my case, with changes going on in my home and work life, I've simply backed away from audio. I have not bought LPs for the two last years, and don't plan to pick up the habit again. I don't really use tape decks anymore. The only way I would start using cassettes again, would be if I obtained a vehicle with a tape player.

When I took physics and physical chemistry II in the early 80's, I recall that quantum mechanics applied not just to subatomic particles, but also to molecules and even larger particles. Theoretically, if you threw a baseball, it would have a de Broglie wavelength which would be extremely short and couldn't be detected using modern technology (from what I read). To us, baseballs appear continuous but subatomic particles and molecules often show quantized behaviour in experiments. Years ago, I began to wonder if there could be a difference in the sound of germanium transistors compared to silicon transistors based on this effect. The de Broglie wavelength of the germanium atom should be shorter compared to silicon (the germanium atom is bigger than the silicon atom) and in a sense closer to being continuous or less quantized like the macroscopic world appears to us. This might be the reason some audiophiles and musicians prefer germanium transistors over silicon transistors. Vacuum tubes also use different materials (the atoms are typically larger than silicon atoms). The electron streams in tubes are also controlled in a vacuum and therefore the electrons might behave less quantized and more continuous depending on their velocity. Electron microscopes are used because the wavelengths of electrons in the electron beams are shorter compared to visible light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter_wave

Last edited:
I remember one physics teacher talking about a car on a hill and the probability of it disappearing and reappearing on the other side of the hill because quantum mechanics predicts that possibility, but the chance of that happening is extremely low.

I do think the site has "lost" a lot of activity, but it is "that time of the year"--lawns to mow, gardens to plant, winter damages to repair, graduations, family reunions to attend, and just plain "too nice to hang out inside" when you could be outdoors. I am a contractor, so this is into my busy season, but I am being kind of limited by some health issues at the moment, so not working as much as I would normally at this time of the year.

Back
Top Bottom