Effictive mass of a Pioneer PL-550 arm?

Brett a

~◦●○o0o○●◦~
Subscriber
Can anyone tell me what the effective mass on the arm on my Pioneer PL-550 is? I found a post where Howard measured his 530 at 15 grams. But I don't think the 530 and the 550 have the same arm. (BTW, I am currently using the original black, drilled-out Pioneer headshell.)

Can anyone tell me what the effective mass on the arm on my Pioneer PL-550 is? I found a post where Howard measured his 530 at 15 grams. But I don't think the 530 and the 550 have the same arm. (BTW, I am currently using the original black, drilled-out Pioneer headshell.)
Actually the 530 and 550 do have the same arm. It's the 570 that has a longer arm. I measured a 570 and a 550 and even though the 550 is 15mm shorter, the mass measured perhaps .5g more--might have been because where the arm end met the scale was at a steeper angle than with the 570. And yes, the value I gave was with that headshell. If you're thinking of using it in a resonance formula, consider that the compliance numbers, especially at cartridgedb, are often not accurate for that purpose.

Can anyone elaborate on this? I am trying to figure out which cartridges I can shop for. So I can't input 15g into a resonance calculator? Thank you.

Last edited:
Can anyone elaborate on this? I am trying to figure out which cartridges I can shop for. Thank you.
You will be close enough if you say the arm is 5 grams, then add the headshell mass. It doesnt have to be perfect. You know its mid mass, go with medium compliance, i.e. 14 cu. or so.

See, that is what is confusing me. I keep fining posts saying that the Denon DL-110 is a perfect match, but the compliance is 8! I was looking at the AT VM540 or 740 with a compliance of 10, but was thinking that I should choose something with an even higher compliance. Very confused.

See, that is what is confusing me. I keep fining posts saying that the Denon DL-110 is a perfect match, but the compliance is 8! I was looking at the AT VM540 or 740 with a compliance of 10, but was thinking that I should choose something with an even higher compliance. Very confused.
Japan measure compliance differently than others so their numbers are confusing. It is somewhat accepted that you can multiply those numbers by 1.8. Either of those cartridges you mentioned should be fine. What you would not want would be, say, an older Shure like an EDT with a compliance of 30 cu and designed to track at one gram. You will want something that tracks between 1.5 and 2 grams or so.

Edited to add and clarify.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom