Electronics Work Bench

Boomer543

So, thanks to you folks I have acquired an oscilloscope, desoldering gun, variac and myriad other things I never thought I'd need. Now I need to know where to put it all. I have a nice wood shop, but obviously worried about sawdust. In any event, my work bench won't work. I need something I can pull a chair up to.

Anyone have any suggestions for an electronics work bench and/or care to share pics of your own setup?

Jack

6' or more wide 2-3' deepto set test equip and still have room for the tested. shelf 2' or more above for smaller test equip and storage of misc. a side cupbord w/shelves for stuff and some drawers for parts. lotsa test leads w/alligator clips, load resistors 8 and 4 ohm 50watts noninductive. that shuld get you started.
line top of bench with indoor/outdoor carpet to protect the goods from scratching. (vacume frequently)

Last edited:
Here's my home bench. It's got a lot of space for equipment and everything is easy to reach.

Attachments

• Work Bench Closed.jpg
    Work Bench Closed.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 165
  • Work Bench Closed 1.jpg
    Work Bench Closed 1.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Work Bench Open_edited-1.jpg
    Work Bench Open_edited-1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 143
Hey Chris

I recognize two items: the HP distortion analyzer and the o-scope. The scope looks just like my Hitachi I just retired that I bought new in 1980! Nice work area for sure.

OP:

My work area is along one wall of a single car garage which is dedicated as a shop. There was always pegboard on the wall and I made a bench by installing cheap base cabinets and putting a particle board top on it. Recently I removed the section where I sit and put a wider piece of the mealamine covered stuff in. Much nicer looking and easier to clean.

Hey Chris

I recognize two items: the HP distortion analyzer and the o-scope. The scope looks just like my Hitachi I just retired that I bought new in 1980! Nice work area for sure.

Thanks, the HP is a 333A that I had calibrated years ago. The Hitachi is a good scope. I'm thinking of upgrading it some time in the future. What did you get to replace yours?

I keep my electronics gear in a closet, and throw everything on the kitchen table to work.
Most of my stuff is from the late 70's, after dumpster diving behind the Engineering Department of a major ACC-affiliated University.

My wife is (groan) thrilled........................................................

Thanks, the HP is a 333A that I had calibrated years ago. The Hitachi is a good scope. I'm thinking of upgrading it some time in the future. What did you get to replace yours?

Agilent MSO-X 2012. I love it! I can set it up with infinite persistence and catch intermittant noise / failures.

So, thanks to you folks I have acquired an oscilloscope, desoldering gun, variac and myriad other things I never thought I'd need. Now I need to know where to put it all. I have a nice wood shop, but obviously worried about sawdust. In any event, my work bench won't work. I need something I can pull a chair up to.

Anyone have any suggestions for an electronics work bench and/or care to share pics of your own setup?

Jack
I had the same situation (but worse, I'm a hoarder`:sigh:). Between the saws and the router table, the mortiser, and all the rest, there wasn't a dedicated place to work.
I decided, first, to get everything on casters and to make all the benches the same height as my saw table. This allows to use the repair benches as out feed tables. I used a metal shelf system sold at Menards for a start: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=333618&page=2. I put the instruments and various stuff on shelves above the repair benches. This allows me to quickly get the tops cleared off and wheel them out for outfeed tables, should the need arise.
This is the current (and usual) state of affiairs:
IMG_0001-23.jpg

I also built another bench, the Bubba Gump, which I use as a desk. I built it out of wood and added a couple of drawers:
IMG_0001_1-4.jpg

What is the one thing you do not see in any of these pictures??

A Chair!

I have been told to never sit down when working on anything. If you get stuck the the currant you can lift a leg and fall away from the power, But if you ass is in a seat your screwed.

WO

A Chair!

I have been told to never sit down when working on anything. If you get stuck the the currant you can lift a leg and fall away from the power, But if you ass is in a seat your screwed.

WO

well, wouldn't a wooden chair offer more resistance than your body ever would? Or 4 rubber tennis balls for that matter

Here's mine - http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=362106. Quick and easy build, and it's strong. Make your bench bigger than you think you will ever need. You'll like the space when you have equipment sprawled all over the bench. :D

A Chair!

WO

I sit down all the time when I'm restoring gear. When it's unplugged.

It's funny I never heard that advice about sitting. It sure makes sense with tube gear but I don't mess with that stuff too often. I have heard that when measuring high voltage like what is on a TV picture tube to keep on hand facing up or put it in a pocket so as not to touch the frame and potentially complete a circuit.

The worse shock I remember was when I grabbed a piece of gear on a 240VAC powered burn in rack and got the transformer terminals. My hands did clamp closed and I shook it off, crashing it to the floor. But I was free! I have had 170VDC at low current pass through my hand a couple of times. No clamping occured and it was like getting poked with a needle.

Definitely it's best to unplug the line cord when rummage around a piece of equipment. Be safe everyone!!

Meh, a little voltage is good for 'ya. If you're sitting on a metal chair it grounds through the most important parts of the body and adds fortitude.:D

Of course, we want to keep safety in mind! Be careful around electricity.:yes:

Meh, a little voltage is good for 'ya. If you're sitting on a metal chair it grounds through the most important parts of the body and adds fortitude.:D

Of course, we want to keep safety in mind! Be careful around electricity.:yes:

As my friend Earl the electrician would say, "it's ok to get bit every now and then, you just shouldn't let the customer see you flinch" :lmao:

I have a nice bench height stool with a back rest. It has plastic casters so it rolls nicely and is insulated from the floor.

I have a stool. But I will only sit down when soldering and such. As I have made a rule of not playing with live currant for one year. (still have 11 1/2 months to go) I want to learn to be safe before I stick my hand into some of the projects I am working on. Do not want 1000v to hit me! And the PT I have can do it. (correction it can deliver up to 1300v) Ouch!

So I build and the teacher checks my work. This is just the way I want to do it for now.

Am I chicken?

YES

WO

...I have made a rule of not playing with live currant for one year. (still have 11 1/2 months to go)...
Am I chicken?

YES

:lmao: I'm a chicken too. I hate getting shocked, even static discharges. Thx for the laugh!

Back
Top Bottom