Epic Cf3 fail

audiolama

Any ideas what I can do..I finally got my epic cf 3 version 1, thanks to an ak member here cubdog..had them stored because of moving and I got a leak from my bathroom that spilled right ontop of one speaker. Wood expanded and jt looks horrible. Took it to a local wood worker and guy said he couldn't fix it. He also mentioned there were no air leaks and I could leave it like that. The main reason he couldn't fix it was because he did not know how to take the front baffle.

Anyways should I just leave it alone or was thinking about gutting them and do something new.
20190228_065137.jpg 20190227_200214.jpg

The front baffle is easy to remove. Take out those 6 rubber speaker grill cups on the baffle and the long screws that hold the baffle on are behind it. It'll come right off.

That stinks about the water damage but there may be hope. Because that front baffle comes off so easily, there have been quite a few occasions where the back panel was removed and re-glued by lots of people (including me) on the CF-3's & 4's. There were occasions where they just didn't get enough in the right locations and the cabinets weren't sealed and would flex and you audibly heard a loud "thwack" when certain bass frequencies played. So, if you can get one of those back panels removed "very carefully", there may be a chance that the guy you spoke with could reattach from the inside and pull it back together.

@audiolama

Picture of one with front removed.

IMG_3723_zpsdw272cdb.jpg

Glue issue....

IMG_3718_zpssf9u2mmg.jpg

Brad nails and glue issue.

IMG_3719_zpsiwhdutes.jpg

Last edited:
Front and back panel out and reattaching the back panel with silicone plus I made 1x1 (3/4" x 3/4") glue block out of oak that is all around the back side then screwed into the side panels and back panel.

IMG_3729.thumb.JPG.96a84583ea0328d959f2878acb7dcd27.JPG

thanks for the picks , I'm going to try that. GOing to do it my self as the guy didn't even see the screws or attempted to locate them as when I brought him the speakers I removed those rubber pieces.

Sending good vibes your way Rod. I only wish I could be of real help. Hopefully you will be able to fix things up eventually. I guess you could always drive back to Illinois and buy one of my other pair of CF3s.

Back
Top Bottom