Finally! How to interpret auction site lingo! (warning: humor/parody/not real)

The one that raises my eyebrow is: "See pics for full description."
Photos and pics should certainly be a part of a listing but I want to hear it from the horse's mouth too.
Any time I see this with no description in writing I move on. I'm not wasting time messaging the seller hopefully asking the right questions.
No parody just fact.

"S&H fees are flat rate $XX--if significantly lower, I will refund the difference" = FAT CHANCE SUCKAH!!!

Actually, I did used to do that, would refund the 1-2$ from shipping.

what I did have to do tho on larger items was pad the weight about 20% because the USPS uses a proprietary multiplier based on weight and actual boxed size that ebay does not. since ebay (used to?) take 15% of the shipping as well, I cannot cough up 15% of a $50 shipping charge for a stereo.

Life has had slightly less income, but a lot less stress and time spent since I ditched ebay and just do in person sales.

"S&H fees are flat rate $XX--if significantly lower, I will refund the difference" = FAT CHANCE SUCKAH!!!
I actually had this happen once. Got a refund for some less than $1 amount, which

"Not tested, sold as-is" - I plugged it in and the smoke came out of my "tested, works fine" amplifier that I bought on here last week.

Regarding the above--ever since Ebay started applying shipping to the calculation of "final value" fees, I either list as fixed shipping CONUS or include free shipping (included in the listing price). Obviously, these amounts are educated guesstimates and sometimes you make a couple bucks and sometimes you lose a couple, but in the end, both buyer and seller know what the total transaction amount is going to be--none of this "to be calculated" or "wait for invoice" BS.

BTW--the calculators are RARELY correct.

"Highly sought after"_____ BY WHO?
If this was true you wouldn't need an ad. You would mention the item to someone and it would be gone. I've seen "highly sought after" on ads over a year old. Yeah rriigghhtt.

The one that raises my eyebrow is: "See pics for full description."
Photos and pics should certainly be a part of a listing but I want to hear it from the horse's mouth too.
Any time I see this with no description in writing I move on. I'm not wasting time messaging the seller hopefully asking the right questions.
No parody just fact.

That one really irks me as well!

“It plays as loudly as the bigger ones”, means I tried it out on my uncle’s giant Altec thingys in a 5’x5’ room. (Oh and I’ve never heard “the big guys” either, so I’ll leave that out.) Oh and other people said it.

Last edited:
Wow. And Ebay couldn't see what happened? They're happy to take your money, but don't ask them to help you sort out a simple problem, which is that the buyer was unable to read.
I’ve had a lot of success with eBay making fair decisions since my 1997 registration and on going sales. This was just a bad one and the only one I have experienced.

Untested. ( Doesn't work.)

Powers up. (A light came on when I turned it on. Turned it off when the smoke started rolling.)

Estate sale. ( It's my old junk and it'll be yours - hopefully.)

Well, I swore off ebay several years ago. There are some excellent sellers there, but I had a knack for avoiding them. However, all three of my Sony 400-disc DVD/CD/SACD players have been down due to belts, and ebay was the easiest, and perhaps most affordable, place to order. Belts arrived yesterday. To be installed this weekend. Supposed to be Sony belts, I think.

That one really irks me as well!
I agree. A little too much caveat emptor. What's wrong with it? Man up and clearly state any problems, then we will make our own decision based on the information. And yes, you do know what's wrong with it, no matter how much ignorance you profess.

I’ve had a lot of success with eBay making fair decisions since my 1997 registration and on going sales. This was just a bad one and the only one I have experienced.
I am happy to hear that. I suppose we don't hear enough stories about things going right because when things go right we don't express it on a forum.

My other hobby is collecting and restoring vintage safety razors and cases.
Mostly Gillette and GEM.
One thing I notice a lot is
!!!RARE MINT *replated * MINT RARE!!!

Back
Top Bottom