Frazier Model 7 images

hopjohn

Silver Face
Frazier 7 (Seven)

These images are reference for the stacked piezo version of the Frazier model 7.
The model 7 consists of a 12 inch driver, two 4.5" mid range drivers, and two piezo tweeters.
Specifications can be found on this datasheet

pm50w8C.jpg

The mid range drivers are sealed within a shoebox sized enclosure of their own. A 2"x 2" support beam runs through the center. The multi-section port runs vertically along the front right edge.

yJs0dYQ.jpg

i90oxuf.jpg

s9C4zbq.jpg

The 8 ohm 15 Watt L-pads read Culver Electronics Inc. Inglewood, CA

Rj94RRd.jpg

The woofer markings may date it to 1967.

eQ9KuoW.jpg

JGw8xO1.jpg

Four 12uf 100V EAO brand caps are strapped together in parallel to create 48uf of capacitance.

j2RTK4Q.jpg

The massive, doughnut sized coil is marked "30".

Very nice, just like the 7's I used to own. Replaced the capacitors and gave the pots a thorough cleaning, they sounded great!

Interesting timing, I just opened up a set of these to do a recap and freshen up the cabinets. Looking forward to spending some more listening time with them, currently have a set of Frazier IV's playing.

I used four 12uf Audyn Q4 caps to replace the originals. I'll try to post a few photos of the finished work later today.

How do you like the sound of the Audyn Caps.? I used them in my Mk IV's and they sound spectacular.
I used four 12uf Audyn Q4 caps to replace the originals. I'll try to post a few photos of the finished work later today.

How do you like the sound of the Audyn Caps.? I used them in my Mk IV's and they sound spectacular.
I used them also in @blandis Frazier Buckaroos and was very impressed with the improvement. I've been too busy to give these 7's a serious listen, but even in testing them individually you can tell they really woof.

The Audyns Q4s are German made quality it appears to me and very affordable.Win-win. I'll continue to use them in future projects.

Have had some time with these over the last couple weeks. Only down side is they are incredibly heavy! My previous main set of KG 4.5's, which for the $$ are solid, are now either going to a new home or in storage. Not the bottom end of the KG's but better everywhere else to my ears. KG's pair well any tube or SS I have thrown at them. Fraziers seem a bit more picky in my limited experience.

Have paired these with KR-8050, Marantz 2252, and a Pioneer SX-2000. All three units have been reconditioned/restored. The Pioneer is the best match to my ears.

Hopjohn just finished up an SX-828 for me that will get picked up later today. Anxious to see what that sounds like with them......

After a Dayton 5% cap c/o and rounding the square port edges, the Frazier 7's sounded much better! I am not wild about piezos, but that's for another day! Hope you enjoy yours!
Helps to put some casters on the corners too!
DC

As John warned me the SX-828 most likely will be my favorite.... the 828 and the sevens are a very nice pairing. Very "hot" initially... had to pull back the treble. But with just a few hours listening this thing sings! Will report back in a few weeks as I log some more hours. John...... thanks again for quality work on my gear. You are the man.

I recapped my piezo Sevens a few days ago with single oil starter caps that measured slightly over 48 uf. I believe these only operate on the midrange. Sounds much better all around than the original caps. These play very "Loud and Clear"!

Hello, I recently picked up Sevens and only had to replace the binding posts. I'm hoping you can elaborate on the single caps you upgraded to. Is there a benefit to use a quad set of capacitors? My pair is using a cap marked 50uf, 100V, BP.

The woofers are not original, they are Pro CSW1200, Radio Shack. One of the mids is a Bose 901 repacement. Overall they sound fantastic, tube system. I am running new Heresy IIIs in serial.

Attachments

• IMG_20210315_115445.jpg
    IMG_20210315_115445.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20210315_115310.jpg
    IMG_20210315_115310.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20210322_093110.jpg
    IMG_20210322_093110.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I'm hoping you can elaborate on the single caps you upgraded to. Is there a benefit to use a quad set of capacitors? My pair is using a cap marked 50uf, 100V, BP.

I used four 12uf Audyn Q4 caps to replace the originals which had a combined 48uf in capacitance. The Audyn caps are available at partsexpress.com

If your woofers and drivers have been altered from the originals that would explain why the crossover cap/s was/were modified. You'll have to evaluate any changes in order to calculate what crossover component values are appropriate. Simple copying the original values is not a relevant approach.

Thanks for the information. How do I calculate which crossover component values are approriate? If this is asking too much, no worries.

Back
Top Bottom