Greetings from Indianapolis!

LittleBill

I've been gleaning wisdom from this site for about a year, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I am a 50+ year old software engineer by profession and a music-lover and musician on the side. About a year ago I decided to unpack my mid-1980s BPC stereo components to see what still worked. It spent 20+ years in a damp basement :-(. All I could salvage was a Technics cassette deck. While shopping for replacement components, I realized that I was too cheap to buy new equipment that would sound good enough for my ears. But I started noticing used stuff that I never could have afforded before, but was closer to my price range now. Did I mention that I also enjoy fixing things? I found that I could buy used equipment that needed some work for even LESS money and have the privilege of restoring it! That's what led me to AK, and it has been a wonderful resource.

Specific interests (brands, technology, etc.): I haven't had the chance to sample all the brands I'd like to, so I'm not focused on any in particular. Also, I will buy something if the price is right and it looks cool sometimes.

Here's what I have (so far!):

Current Setup:
- Yamaha CR-840 Receiver
- BSR 810 Transcription Turntable
- Dahlquist DQM-9 Speaker pair
- Onkyo DX-C390 CD Player
- Technics RS-915 Cassette Player

In the restoration queue:
- Dahlquist DQ-10 Speaker pair - These need a lot of work, including refoamed woofers and new crossover caps. Looking forward to getting them working!
- JansZen Z-400 Speaker pair - Sound great. Electrostatic components still work well, but I want to replace some crossover components.
- Onkyo TX-4500 MkII - Replaced lights. Works but may be a candidate for a recap project.
- Yamaha CR-620 Receiver - Needs new bulbs and maybe a recap.
- Akai AA-1150 Receiver - Needs new bulbs and maybe a recap. Also cause speaker "Pop!" at power down. Grrrr.
- JVC Nivico Model 5201 Turntable - Replaced idler wheel. Needs new motor mounts.

Restored and Sold:
- Realistic Mach Two Speaker pair - Decent sound but had to trim some inventory.

Photos
- Current Setup
CurrentSetup.jpg

Dahlquist DQ-10 (one of them without grille)
Dahlquist_DQ10.jpg

JansZen Z-400 (one of them)
JansZen_Z400.jpg

Onkyo TX-4500 MkII
Onkyo_TX4500MkII_Receiver.jpg

JVC Nivico Model 5201 (I just liked the looks)
JvcNivico_Model5201_TT.jpg

Welcome from Cincinnati!

Cool gear. I've always wondered how those Nivicos played. I've seen some for sale on occasion but never taken the plunge. Would love to know your thoughts at some point. Sure are pretty tables... :thumbsup:

Welcome from Cincinnati!

Cool gear. I've always wondered how those Nivicos played. I've seen some for sale on occasion but never taken the plunge. Would love to know your thoughts at some point. Sure are pretty tables... :thumbsup:

The JVC/Nivico was bought for looks only, plus the price was right. This one does have a noticeable rumble that I think I've figured out is coming from the motor and being transmitted through the degraded motor mounts. I'm eventually going to replace them to (hopefully) fix that problem. Soundwise, I'm probably not as particular as some when it comes to turntables. My vinyl isn't in the best shape to begin with, so I don't need the best TT. I would like to try out a Technics table, since I've read such good things about them.

Yeah, I've heard mounts are often the culprit (if the idler wheel is still bueno– I forget if this is an idler?). Let us know how it all shakes out. I've learned so much from the folks here. And if you solve your rumble you'll be giving me a good excuse to pick up a Nivico myself!

I still pull out my first real table (an old Technics SL-1400 sans many knobs... 60% knobless I'd say) from time to time. Got it for a tenner from a buddy who worked at a record store before the Great Vinyl Reawakening. Bomb-proof, it is. Like vermouth to a dry martini, a bit of deoxit into the trim pots when needed and it goes and goes...

Back
Top Bottom