Harman Kardon receiver survey.

geph0007

AK Member
Subscriber
Hi I would like to take a little poll about the Harman Kardon receivers listed below. It would be helpful and interesting to hear from folks who have owned more then one model and have been able to compare them and their opinion of the sonic differences.
.The yes I have that model and therefore it is great and have never compared to another does not help.
I know there have been some things written about this but am looking for more opinions. It would be interesting at the very least. I have done some intense comparing and will share my observations later.

HK 430
HK 630
HK 730
HK 930
HK 560
HK 670
HK 680i

Thanks

Since no one else is biting...

If you will grant me some liberty here, I can compare three units that I have been swapping around for the last year or two:

A-402 integrated(akin to the 730?)
hk 505 integrated (akin to the hk670?)

Speakers used, KEF 104/2, JBL 4408 monitors. All three drive the 4-ohm KEFs without a hitch. All are generally run at modest levels, though put through their paces on occasion.

630: most all-around "punch", excellent low-end, not as much mid and upper clarity.
A-402: overall most musically pleasing and balanced to my ears, it's all there, excellent clarity and detail (and soundstage, dare I say?)
hk505: perhaps a more strident (or shrill) high end. And a bit bass-shy as compared to the others?

Yes, I'd rate the 402 the one I most enjoy, followed by 630, followed by hk505. I enjoy listening to all three, though.

Got an hk740 receiver I got a few years back - Have it it my office as integrated amp for my Mac, plus it has a very nice sensitive tuner. 2x35w/ch
The brushed aluminum face matches my MacPro & other gear, and seems to have plenty of power to run the JBL L20T speakers I've got as computer monitors.

Got it really cheap from CL back when I had a mac mini, and I've been very happy with it.
Much better than the Tandy integrated amp I used to have up here ...

hk740_4127.jpg hk740_4121.jpg

Hi I would like to take a little poll about the Harman Kardon receivers listed below. It would be helpful and interesting to hear from folks who have owned more then one model and have been able to compare them and their opinion of the sonic differences.
.The yes I have that model and therefore it is great and have never compared to another does not help.
I know there have been some things written about this but am looking for more opinions. It would be interesting at the very least. I have done some intense comparing and will share my observations later.

HK 430
HK 630
HK 730
HK 930
HK 560
HK 670
HK 680i

Thanks

Last edited:
I know, as far as the tuner sections go I have to give it to the 630, the others are complete laggards

OP those are integrated amplifiers, not receivers (no tuner integrated).

I pick this one http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/hk630_e.html (which I owned for 3 months)

FWIW, those are all receivers except for the hk 630. BUT, the the first iteration of 630 IS a receiver. See here: http://jbmanuals.free.fr/HarmanKardon/hk630/HK630 om.pdf . For some reason HK reused that model number.

204031_o.gif

I have only listened to one of these: the hk560. I have also had another vintage hk which you did not see fit to include: the hk330a. I will review it anyways, because I want to.

The hk330a: very vintage sound. Smooth and beautiful. I guess everyone already knows that about the 330's (a, b, & c). Really great as an entry-level receiver, but not alot of juice. I really like mine hooked up to a pair of polk rt1000i's which have powered subs in each speaker. This lets the receiver concentrate on the mids and the treble where it really excels. There is a bit of noise coming from the preamp section but maybe mine just needs a recap. The coolest thing about this is that it has preamp-in and -out connections in the back--a rare feature in this class of receivers.

The hk560: This whole line (340, 450, 560, 670) is one of the cheesiest-looking and awkwardly numbered vintage collections I have seen. On the other hand, I have grown to love its ugly-duckling look, because there really isn't anything else quite like it. The build quality is not the best; it feels like there was not alot of care that went into its design and execution. For example, the case has shims that are inserted to keep the top flush with the chassis; the tuner flywheel often has issues because a pulley inside comes loose and gets blocked by a circuit board; the bass knob doesn't point exactly upward when its at neutral by feel. Cool feature: it has a tone defeat button for purists (like me).

Build issues aside, I think it has a great sound. Very accurate, maybe a bit anemic. I used it primarily with a pair of genesis I's and it was a great match up. The bass could have used a push (a fault of the speakers more than the amp, I think), but the clarity and realness that I heard in the treble with this setup made up for all its deficiencies. I would liken its sound to similarly-rated NAD. In fact, it sounded better to me than the same set of speakers connected to my Sansui 7070. Unlike the Sansui, however, the stated wattage of the hk (40W) is probably not an underrated figure. When you open it up and peek in side, your first reaction is, "where are the power transistors??" I swear I needed a microscope to find them! I would not recommend this amp for more power hungry or hard-to-drive speakers. In fact, I repeatedly tripped the speaker protection circuit when I tried to crank a pair of Ohm Walsh 1's with it.

The 560:
IMG_0149.jpg

I don't have any pictures of the 330a

Last edited:
...The hk560: ...The build quality is not the best; it feels like there was not alot of care that went into its design and execution. For example, the case has shims that are inserted to keep the top flush with the chassis; the tuner flywheel often has issues because a pulley inside comes loose and gets blocked by a circuit board; the bass knob doesn't point exactly upward when its at neutral by feel. Cool feature: it has a tone defeat button for purists (like me).

Build issues aside, I think it has a great sound. Very accurate, maybe a bit anemic...

I spent much of last night exploring an HK560 that I bought at a thrift some years ago, stuffed under a bed and forgot for years. Plan was to Deox and lube all pots and switches and survey burnt-out light bulbs. As it turned out, no Deoxing was actually required--which is a good thing, as *only* the volume pot is actually accessible without *MAJOR* disassembly--disassembly that is altogether tedious as the HK560 chassis design is probably the *worst* I've ever encountered in a piece of audio gear, in terms of serviceability. RE: "it feels like there was not alot of care that went into its design and execution"--you can trust your feeling as my eyeballs and experience with other makes tell me with great certainty that yes indeedy there was not a lot of care in either design or execution (surprisingly little, actually). I found myself wondering if HK was even still in business and estimating that such "design" must surely have made them toast.

I, too, noticed that the bass knob pointer is off by about half a shaft tooth. Obviously attention to detail wasn't HK's strong suite.

Among the bulbs, only *one* actually work(ed), past tense, as when I went to move it to a center slot to get *some* illumination across the dial (it'd been furthest left), it, too, gave up. :D

So sometime when I'm near Rat Shack, I'll be buying a herd of those tuner dial bulbs. Those little lights inside the buttons, however, *NONE* of which work, will *never* get replaced, as the logisitics of disassembly to get to them make it altogether simply NOT worth the effort.

BUT, I have to say, it's a really, really nice sounding receiver, and in the case of this one, I'd *never* say "anemic". The tuner section sounds exceptional. Though, yes, as stated, that little pulley that comes loose *IS* an issue on this one, too, having NO designed-in method of preventing it!

I'm happy enough with the thing for the $5.00 or so I likely paid for it, but having seen how the chassis goes together and how inaccessible many things are for service, I'd NEVER be happy with the thing if I'd bought it new for good money.

After reassembly, I decided if I ever get desparate for audio gear, after the backups for the backups of the backups go bye-bye, this will be a nice little unit, soundwise, anyway, and I'll just keep a good flashlight handy to see what all those damnable bulbs used to illuminate, if and when I ever need the thing (doubtful).

Just to prove HK isn't the only poor designer, I opened up a Crown tonight, too. Stupid engineering there, too.

I have a 930 a 430 and 2 730 receivers. This series of HK receivers has been among my favorites for a long time. It would be hard to pick one model out and say it was the best but if I had to I would pick the 730. It's clean 45 watts of power on each side seems more like 60+. It has a very tube like sound and is very clean and never starves for power. The 430 is just about as amazing and has been a favorite of those guys with high efficiency speakers that they would otherwise drive with tubes.

I will say this however.....I discovered the HK line early on in my collecting process. I had owned Marantz and Pioneer equipment prior to that discovery. The HK stuff didn't really sound a lot better than those other lines I suppose until you cranked them up a little or used them with inefficient acoustic suspension speakers. Then the HK's would start to shine. There again the twin power has a lot to do with that.

I also have discovered that many of the receivers in the Sansui line have the same feel and and sense of power that the HK line does. The 5000A that I had with the correct boards seemed to almost suck the air out of the room it had so much punch! I also have a Sansui 8080DB a Marantz 2252B and a Marantz 2270. Even the Sherwood S-7200 that I have gives about the same quality of sound if not quite as much classic glitz as the HK's, Sansui's, and Marantz's. I would be hard pressed to pick one favorite out of all these choices. The classic looks of the Marantz models would have a big influence but the HK has a classic look of it's own too. I think that is why I will probably keep most of them. If I could pick 3 it would be the HK 730 the Marantz 2270 and the Sansui 8080DB but I would surely moarn the loss of the others!

It comes down to a choice and I have discovered that the HK's can be a little finicky in their old age. It is just a matter of finding a well kept unit that is operating close to it's original performance and you will be happy. Good Luck! Franksta

Last edited:
I have a 730 and a 50+ (quadraphonic). I have always liked the 730, but I didn't care for the 50+ until recently, when I matched it with a different set of speakers and it came alive. Now I like them both. Totally different character and sound, but that's OK.

I have a 730 I use at our summer cottage, every weekend it runs 18 hours a day. I drives JBL N-28's, everyone thinks I have one of the big home systems there.
This spring I had it set up with the 4311's, smooth sound great tuner. I've been an H-K believer for a long time, sold HK and Marantz back in College, always thought HK had a clear, open sound. Marantz was good HK was better. Also have an 6100/6200 integrated with tuner, great phono section, good drive, my older son has "borrowed" for his flat.

A newbie's impressions

Well I've now got two of the receivers on the OP's list: an HK730, and 670. Also have the first of the lowest of the *30 line, the "Three Thirty".

These are the only vintage electronics I've bought since I caught the bug earlier this year. I've done a de-oxit of each of them, but no recapping yet. Don't really have anything non-H/K to compare them to (except my 90's JVC rcr).

Amongst themselves, it seems to me that the stuff I've read on AK is true. The "Three Thirty" is the "tubiest". Memories of my Dad's old Fisher (mono) tube unit, hooked up to a single GE cabinet). It's been OK driving my 4 ohm B&W DM610's (owner's manual says 4 ohm no problem) at low levels, but sounds too dark and boomy. It's much better with (the brighter) EPI 100's. Haven't tried it on my Wharfedale W60's or Dentons.

Too me, the 730 is just plain musical. A very "full" sound. Plenty of power for my purposes. Have run it mostly on the B&W's. A good match. Okay too with the EPI's, especially with some "Contour", to force a little more bass out of them.

The 670 seems the brightest. I've read some people describe it as "cleaner, detailed, more accurate". It's only been on the Wharfedales. (Sometimes both pairs.) Even with the 670, I can tell the W60's need a recap/cleaning. Very mellow and resonant, but not very bright right now, kinda dark. Would hesitate to put either of the other H/K's on these speakers, until I see to them.

I really like all three of these. If absolutely forced to choose just one.......probably the 730.

Maybe I can offer a more useful reply after some recapping.

-Keith

I've done a ton of work on the 430/730 series. I own one of each. However I listen to my 505 more than any of the others.

I would be curious if your listening impression are on original gear or restored. I like the power amps in all of that series, the pre-amps in my opinion are just OK.

Thanks guys. This is all good stuff and I hope to hear more then at some point I will report my extensive head to head tests. All units are in good shape BUT not restored. While I understand recapping and such I would rather compare originals. If one recaps and does not use the exact same ones from the same manufacture one is revoicing the unit. HK makes a big deal about listening to all the parts that go into their units so recapping with different stuff changes everything.

Thanks guys. This is all good stuff and I hope to hear more then at some point I will report my extensive head to head tests. All units are in good shape BUT not restored. While I understand recapping and such I would rather compare originals. If one recaps and does not use the exact same ones from the same manufacture one is revoicing the unit. HK makes a big deal about listening to all the parts that go into their units so recapping with different stuff changes everything.

I would have to disagree with that in part. If the parts are past their useful life, then by your own definition, the unit is re-voiced. I have been inside dozens of H/K units and the parts are not the same from unit to unit. IE; manufacturers, values, etc...

When parts such as caps (not in signal path) are replaced like for like, the unit is much closer to original specs, not farther away. You are in essence, back to the original voicing.

Not trying to start an argument, just throwing my opinion into the mix.

rehashed worms, anyone?

Point taken, elusive.

FWIW, the units I described earlier are, as far as I know, entirely "unmolested" i.e. original components.

Now, whether that is a good or bad thing, you know I'm not going to open that can of rehashed worms, I've been on AK long enough!

But, that does I think set them on somewhat common ground for comparison...

Point taken, elusive.

FWIW, the units I described earlier are, as far as I know, entirely "unmolested" i.e. original components.

Now, whether that is a good or bad thing, you know I'm not going to open that can of rehashed worms, I've been on AK long enough!

But, that does I think set them on somewhat common ground for comparison...

I would agree with your assessment of the gear you reviewed. Particularly the 402 which is basically the amp section of the 730. I love the power amp in a 730. I think it is one of best all-around amps out there, for the price. I ran a 730 power amp section from a Nikko beta pre-amp for quite awhile and was very pleased.

Update

Well I've now got two of the receivers on the OP's list: an HK730, and 670. Also have the first of the lowest of the *30 line, the "Three Thirty".

These are the only vintage electronics I've bought since I caught the bug earlier this year. I've done a de-oxit of each of them, but no recapping yet. Don't really have anything non-H/K to compare them to (except my 90's JVC rcr).

Amongst themselves, it seems to me that the stuff I've read on AK is true. The "Three Thirty" is the "tubiest". Memories of my Dad's old Fisher (mono) tube unit, hooked up to a single GE cabinet). It's been OK driving my 4 ohm B&W DM610's (owner's manual says 4 ohm no problem) at low levels, but sounds too dark and boomy. It's much better with (the brighter) EPI 100's. Haven't tried it on my Wharfedale W60's or Dentons.

Too me, the 730 is just plain musical. A very "full" sound. Plenty of power for my purposes. Have run it mostly on the B&W's. A good match. Okay too with the EPI's, especially with some "Contour", to force a little more bass out of them.

The 670 seems the brightest. I've read some people describe it as "cleaner, detailed, more accurate". It's only been on the Wharfedales. (Sometimes both pairs.) Even with the 670, I can tell the W60's need a recap/cleaning. Very mellow and resonant, but not very bright right now, kinda dark. Would hesitate to put either of the other H/K's on these speakers, until I see to them.

I really like all three of these. If absolutely forced to choose just one.......probably the 730.

-Keith

Well, an update sort of....

I've recapped the Wharfedale W60 speakers, but not any of the receivers yet. The W60s now have much better treble. Have run them with the "Three Thirty" Nocturne, and it's a sweet combination. Very mellow/musical etc.

Now running the HK670 with a pair of the (big) Wharfedale W90s! Maybe an odd (and potentially dangerous) pairing. The 670 is my most powerful receiver, and the W90s don't need (or can handle) very many watts. Plus my source for line in is an Apple Airport Express (with, I understand a line out voltage of 1.53V). Just have to be careful with my volume. Anyway, a beautiful combination to my ears. Mids and highs are especially nice. Bass pretty much takes care of itself.

Finally, I've now got something to compare the HKs to. Just picked up a Sherwood S-7300, and plan to A/B it with the 670 and 730. (None of these yet recapped.)

Vintage audio, good (cheap?) fun.

730 outputs to use for Bose Cinemate II input?

My Panasonic TV sound with Cinemate II speakers loses much treble vs headphone sound. I wonder if Pana line out to HK 730 AUX in
and HK 730 tape 1 out to Bose Cinemate line in would work
with adjustable bass and treble?

-Keith

Back
Top Bottom