Have you noticed with a lot of the modern music that...?

"Surf culture" was a 'thing' then, surfing was however limited to places that had surf.
Surf culture is still a thing.
It's just a house on the beach or a personal helicopter ride to avoid the 24/7 horrendous traffic jam.
The "surf culture" of the 50s and 60's rejected the Beach Party Gidget stuff.
They were straight ahead Jazz lovers.
Surf movies used the preferred music of the day.

That's right! Old enough to have heard it the first time, anyway.

Anyone that old is dead, seriously. When you thought it was new, it wasn't.

If I took a poll without anyone going online to look up the answer most likely 90% would say Judy Garland was in the original Wizard of Oz movie, they would be wrong. Just because we heard or saw something for the first time doesn't mean it's never happened before.

The only time I listen to the radio is when I'm driving. I listen to CBC Radio 1 for talk. And when I want music, I predominantly switch between the two local university stations. What they play isn't always in my wheelhouse, but at least it's something I haven't heard hundreds of times already. I will tune into the "big stations" too, but by no means am I beholden to them or their formats.
I miss independent college stations. Ithaca still has one, but the big colleges here and in Syracuse, where I last lived, run NPR stations now. I want to put a long range antenna on my house and see if there are any good stations in the close part of Ontario. I think there might be one in Guelph.

I miss independent college stations. Ithaca still has one, but the big colleges here and in Syracuse, where I last lived, run NPR stations now. I want to put a long range antenna on my house and see if there are any good stations in the close part of Ontario. I think there might be one in Guelph.

There are still lots and lots of good college stations that stream. Look here.

Anyone that old is dead, seriously. When you thought it was new, it wasn't.

If I took a poll without anyone going online to look up the answer most likely 90% would say Judy Garland was in the original Wizard of Oz movie, they would be wrong. Just because we heard or saw something for the first time doesn't mean it's never happened before.
I'm speaking specifically of Led Zeppelin/Greta Van Susteren (or whatever it is they call themselves) here. Mind you, given Jimmy's penchant for "borrowing" material, perhaps I should concede your point.

Hey, caught the special on the "Big Bands" and was blown away of the richness and smoothness of what some of the band leaders of the '40's offered.

It was soooooooo mellow and cool! :cool: I swear that I could see icicles forming on Wood Herman's clarinet! Then when Glenn Miller and his huge band ensemble hit the scene, there was a fullness of sound that you just don't hear today. Have always thought this genre to be the bridge between classical and modern music.

Have never heard a live big band live, but hope to some day.

Q

duwop was an established genre , and it faded...wish the rappers would bring it back.

Yeah, we got that. Too bad it's one of the most popular genres in the world. What exactly is it that you listen to that's so great?

duwop was an established genre , and it faded...wish the rappers would bring it back.
Origins in street corner acapella harmony. Less hostility involved than with some rap. Hip-hop supplanted it, rap is like hip-hop with street politics and 'attitude'.
I'm past being done with rockers with attitude that want to get loaded and party with underwear models in their parents' basement, and rappers with attitude that want money that shows and killing their rivals.
Too old for any of it

Last edited:
Yeah, we got that. Too bad it's one of the most popular genres in the world. What exactly is it that you listen to that's so great?

I posted lots of youtube clips on the "What are you listening to now" thread.

Back
Top Bottom