HDMI to RCA ???

VBB

I'm trying to buy a new t.v. but see that most aren't equipped with rca outs to run sound on my vintage receiver. It looks like the option is an HDMI to RCA converter module. Has anyone used one of these? Thoughts?

Yes, this is readily available as a converter, great adapters are available at Amazon. I have even used the optical adapter to RCA, so I can forward signal. Only consideration is location of the device as it need be plugged in.

In addition, you did not mention a A/V receiver or component, they usually have multiple ways of patching additional equipment via your TV.

Yes, it is a "bummer" that the newer screens have eliminated RCA connectors.. but it was coming! :dunno:

I have a couple receivers I swap in and out of rotation. None are A/V receicers. I just use fronts and sometimes also rear speakers. No center, no sub.

If you want to use a HDMI to RCA converter, make sure the new TV has HDMI out. I am not sure that HDMI out is common (none of my TVs have it, but the newest is 5 years old).

Almost all TVs have optical audio out, and as mentioned above, you can use that to drive a OPT to RCA converter (basically, a cheap 2-ch audio DAC), or a full-fledged DAC of your liking.

Also beware with most(?), probably all, of these, the audio volume you get will not be controllable by the TV volume control. You will need to control volume with the receiver, or a remote that works with your receiver.

Also beware with most(?), probably all, of these, the audio volume you get will not be controllable by the TV volume control. You will need to control volume with the receiver, or a remote that works with your receiver.
Settings in the TV should allow for fixed or variable output - variable allowing the TV remote to control the volume, with the receiver set at a fixed level.

Settings in the TV should allow for fixed or variable output - variable allowing the TV remote to control the volume, with the receiver set at a fixed level.

hmmm... I'm not sure about that for TVs that do not have analog out (audio RCAs). I may be wrong about this, but I've run into the fixed-variable out only on one of my older HDTVs (Sharp Aqous from 2007 - still working well) with has analog RCA outs. My more modern HDTVs don't have analog RCA outs, and don't have fixed-variable options in the set up menus.

I only know what I own, so like I say, perhaps there are HDTVs that do have variable digital out, but it is not something I've run across.

hmmm... I'm not sure about that for TVs that do not have analog out (audio RCAs). I may be wrong about this, but I've run into the fixed-variable out only on one of my older HDTVs (Sharp Aqous from 2007 - still working well) with has analog RCA outs. My more modern HDTVs don't have analog RCA outs, and don't have fixed-variable options in the set up menus.

I only know what I own, so like I say, perhaps there are HDTVs that do have variable digital out, but it is not something I've run across.
You, sir, are absolutely correct. I jumped the gun and mixed the two technologies together.

no problem. I find myself getting easily confused about al lot of this HT stuff; there is just so much going on. I knew this one decently well because I wrestled with it a lot a couple of years ago, and my disappointment (because I did not want to go the universal remote route) became seared in my memory.

If you want to use a HDMI to RCA converter, make sure the new TV has HDMI out. I am not sure that HDMI out is common (none of my TVs have it, but the newest is 5 years old)...
I'm not an expert, having recently looked into this with a view to getting a cheap soundbar for the kitchen TV. Many TVs have a HDMI audio out as a HDMI-ARC (audio return). On my cheap TV only one of the HDMI sockets is the HDMI-ARC. Perhaps someone with more expertise could clarify if my basic understanding isn't accurate.

I just purchased a new 55" TV this summer and all four of my top choices had audio R&L RCA outputs. Along with Toslink digital outputs. So I had no problem connecting the TV to older components. I wouldn't go through any complex connection scenarios until you make your choice and check out what it offers. I was looking at upper-midrange models in the $800 range. Perhaps lower cost TVs don't offer them.

I just purchased a new 55" TV this summer and all four of my top choices had audio R&L RCA outputs. Along with Toslink digital outputs. So I had no problem connecting the TV to older components.
I was surprised to read that as well, but I just checked the back of a $200 43" Toshiba that I bought earlier this year, and indeed the only analog output is the headphone jack (however, it is labeled with a headphone icon + the words "audio out" so you might be able to get decent sound out of it). It also has an optical output (I think this is pretty standard) so a cheap Toslink to analog converter should do the trick if the headphone output isn't sufficient.

The past month I picked out a 55" TCL 55R617 TV for a friend. It's a 2018 model, and a terrific value.

It has:

a 1/8" headphone jack;
three HDMI ports (one has ARC);
an optical output jack;
and a 1/8" four pole jack for L/R audio and video composite input (the factory includes a very short cable with the 1/8" plug on one end, and three female RCA on the other).

Adjusting the TV volume *does not* change the volume of the optical output.

Also, not all of those TOSLINK converters are the same. Although the ubiquitous cheap little ones all look identical on the outside, I've tested and disassembled a few. The cheap ones are indeed cheaply made, and they have crummy low frequency response (rolloff at 30-40Hz). Pay $30 instead of $5 and you get a much nicer unit.

Many of the newer TVs will output sound via Bluetooth. Just add a Bluetooth receiver to one of the inputs on your vintage receiver.

I'm using an SMSL B1

The advantage to adding a Bluetooth receiver is you can also pair to a phone or pad, and stream audio.

I had to buy a pass thru adapter because the newer Apple TV black boxes don't have optical out any more like my early series 1 Apple TV.

The past month I picked out a 55" TCL 55R617 TV for a friend. It's a 2018 model, and a terrific value.

It has:

a 1/8" headphone jack;
three HDMI ports (one has ARC);
an optical output jack;
and a 1/8" four pole jack for L/R audio and video composite input (the factory includes a very short cable with the 1/8" plug on one end, and three female RCA on the other).

Adjusting the TV volume *does not* change the volume of the optical output.

Also, not all of those TOSLINK converters are the same. Although the ubiquitous cheap little ones all look identical on the outside, I've tested and disassembled a few. The cheap ones are indeed cheaply made, and they have crummy low frequency response (rolloff at 30-40Hz). Pay $30 instead of $5 and you get a much nicer unit.

Remembering when :rolleyes: shopping for audio/video components (that fit your home system), it was easy to look at the back of the unit and see if the connections were suitable/compatible. Most of them were rack mounted or shelved in such a way to accomodate.

Try and do that with the larger wall mounted big screen televisions!! Navigating the manner most are displayed at some of the popular retailers.. :eek2:

Remembering when :rolleyes: shopping for audio/video components (that fit your home system), it was easy to look at the back of the unit and see if the connections were suitable/compatible. Most of them were rack mounted or shelved in such a way to accomodate.

Try and do that with the larger wall mounted big screen televisions!! Navigating the manner most are displayed at some of the popular retailers.. :eek2:
That, combined with the lack of technical knowledge of many salespeople, has resulted in me writing the model number of anything I'm interested in buying, and then going online to download the manual. Not only does it answer the questions that couldn't be answered in store, it also clarifies some of the wrong information I was told instore. Mind you, it does really annoy the salespeople when they don't get the instant sale, but it has prevented me from buying unsuitable equipment.

Back
Top Bottom