Help. AM I hooking this headphone amplifier up correctly?

Discussion in 'Headphones' started by plschles, Jan 28, 2019.

1. plschles

plschles AK Subscriber Subscriber

I am connecting a new Loxjie P20 headphone amp to a SMSL Su-8 DAC into a sherwood integrated amplifier. I have two xlr cables hooked up in the back from the headphone amp to the DAC, and am getting no sound in the headphones. Is it possible that I have to get an xlr cable to go from the headphone to the headphone amp instead of the way I have it which is the regular headphone cable going directly to the 1/4" plug in the headphone amp in order for it to work?

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. judsonw

judsonw Well-Known Member

I admit I am a bit confused by your description of the set up; you list a DAC, a headphone amp, and an integrated amp, but no source? What digital source do you have going into the DAC?

Also, I would try switching the input and output selections on the menu. Based on the manual, in2 is the Balanced Input, but based on the picture I am seeing on Amazon, the balanced inputs are labeled as input 1. Try switching the input options and if that does not give you anything, try switching the output option and then checking both input options.

I will add, I am not that familiar with either products, and have been looking at the english translations of the manuals as best I could.

3. plschles

Digital source is my cellphone using the power amp music app.

4. judsonw

Have you used your phone with other external DACs? If not, assuming the phone is connected via USB, you are using an OTG cable to connect it? There is a difference between it and a regular USB you might use for charging the phone. Here is an explanation. When I first tried hooking my phone up to my DAC, I used a general USB cable and found it did not work. It took some scouring to find I needed an OTG cable and that did work.

I am not familiar with the poweramp music app, but there may be settings you need to set in the menus for it?

5. plschles

yes, it works via OTG. I am thinking that I need to purchase a xlr cable to headphones since its a balanced amp.

6. judsonw

Based on the manual, it seems like you can select which input you want (balanced or unbalanced) and what output you want (balanced or unbalanced).

manual.JPG

As I mentioned above, there seems to be some discrepancies since the picture of the back on Amazon lists the Balanced Inputs as Input 2, while the manual states Input 1. (The Manual was downloaded from the Amazon page as well).

Because of this discrepancy, I would try the four different combinations of inputs and outputs (in1 and out1, in1 and out2, in2 and out1, and in2 and out2) to make sure things are not mislabeled on the amp before buying a new cable.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. plschles

In1, Out2 worked. Crazy. Thank You!

8. judsonw

Glad to hear it worked. Eventually you might want to pick up a balanced cable for your headphones to see if there is a difference or not, but there is no reason to rush that. For now, enjoy your music.