help headphone choice

Discussion in 'Headphones' started by Mikefc, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Mikefc

Mikefc "Quality is our No. 1 Dream" Subscriber

Presently I'm using OPPO PM-3 which I have always enjoyed as my main "critical listening" cans. I also use Sennheiser buds from Massdrop Blue Box when moving about. The OPPO's are great but I'm now interested in open headphones that are lighter and cause less fatigue. After a couple of albums they cause me to feel warm and uncomfortable. I will use them for piano practice and travel but I'm looking for a full size, open back now. My budget is only $200 this time as I have enough invested in music listening so the Massdrop offerings look attractive but I'd like anyone's opinion. What do you have that holds up well to extended listening periods? As far as music, I'm all over the map, rock, acoustic, jazz etc. But not classical and not "THUMP THUMP RAP"

Please register to disable this ad.

2. c.coyle

c.coyle Fighting the Dunning-Kruger effect. Subscriber

You might want to start with Grados. The SR-125 fits your budget. I like my SR-80s, when I have no one else in the room. I'm sure you're going to get lots of suggestions.

3. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

HiFi Man HE-400i. They are planar magnetic and open backed. Currently $179 @ Amazon.

4. Silentnet

Silentnet AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have some Massdrop HE4XXs (basically HE-400i). Build quality is junk, common complaint I see re: Hi-Fi Man. Sound is good. More detailed but also more fatiguing than AKG Q-701s for me. Also much heavier. I'd look at AKG and Sennheiser for lighter, less fatiguing options. There's a pair of HD-600s for $200 shipped in Barter Town right now. (No affiliation)

5. Mikefc

Mikefc "Quality is our No. 1 Dream" Subscriber

thanks everyone. Massdrop just relaunched the HD-6xx and I went for them. Reviews are great and they seem like they will be comfortable for extending listening. I will plug them into my OPPO BDP103 for SACD or my HA-2 for Roon listening. Yes, I have a lot of OPPO gear, I was one of their first dealers before I retired and closed my custom AV business. Sad to see them go.....

cratz2 likes this.