Help me understand streamers please...

ProPerDoper

So forever I've plumbed my DacMagic Plus via a 16' USB cord from my laptop across my office floor due to a belief that hard wired was always best. Now I'm learning that the long USB run may degrade signal quality, and that computer audio isn't necessarily the best either.

What I'd like to accomplish is hi-rez digital output to my DAC via wireless streaming, without any loss of sound quality. (In fact I'd love to improve SQ)

I'm confused about DAC quality, and whether to use the onboard DAC in the streamer, or plumb digital out to my DacMagic Plus.

As an example: If I purchased an Auris Blume HD and eliminated my DacMagic Plus would the SQ be comparable (or possibly better) than the SQ from the DacMagic? (Comparing DAC's seems difficult to me)

If the DAC's in an economical streamer aren't equivalent to my existing DAC, then it seems utilizing the digital output of the streaming in to my DAC is best. (I also read some streamers limit resolution via Toslink out)

While typing this I'm also researching via YouTube videos and it appears that a WIIM Mini might also do what I need while utilizing my DacMagic.

Hoping someone can simplify and respond in layman's terms please.... ;)

Last edited:
It sounds like you've mostly got it figured out. In most streaming systems, as long as the streamer outputs a bit perfect signal, and can handle the resolution that you are feeding it, it's the DAC that is the variable. I think a Wiim Mini or Pro would be a perfect companion to your DAC, which seems to be a high quality unit.

Now I'm learning that the long USB run may degrade signal quality, and that computer audio isn't necessarily the best either

Neither of those are necessarily true.

Part of the purpose of a DAC is to isolate noise (electrical and timing) from its digital input to its analogue output. A DAC that fails to adequately do this is, IMHO, a faulty DAC, unless the noise from the computer is truly egregious.

A computer, running a streaming service app, driving an asynchronous (destination clocked) USB DAC should be capable of giving excellent audio. It just needs that isolating digital interface.

Obviously, if the USB cable is so long it is causing data errors, then that will degrade audio performance, but that will be a gross error, and can be addressed by shorter cable, or using an active USB cable, or repeaters.

It sounds like you've mostly got it figured out. In most streaming systems, as long as the streamer outputs a bit perfect signal, and can handle the resolution that you are feeding it, it's the DAC that is the variable. I think a Wiim Mini or Pro would be a perfect companion to your DAC, which seems to be a high quality unit.

Thank you for that! Appreciate the reassurance. I do like the sound signature of the DacMagic Plus...I own two. In fact I like it better than their newer unit.

Ordered a Wiim Mini off Amazon and it's due to be delivered yet today. (Amazing) The next decision is what format to wire from the WIIM to the DacMagic. Toslink or USB appears to be available without limitations on resolution for either if I understand correctly. Anyone know if there are reasons to use one over the other? I found an old article from 2016 by Steve Gutenberg that said the differences are minimal, but that was a long time ago...

USB appears to be available without

Don't think the Wiim supports USB DACs.

'Asynchronous' USB has the potential to be better, since the clock used to drive the DAC chip sampling is local to the DAC, and does not need to be recovered from a clock embedded as biphase encoding used in SPDIF. This has the potential to be lower jitter, which would be a cleaner technical output.

But the specific implementation also has a part to play; you could have an excellent SPDIF interface, and a crap async USB interface.

Don't think the Wiim supports USB DACs.

'Asynchronous' USB has the potential to be better, since the clock used to drive the DAC chip sampling is local to the DAC, and does not need to be recovered from a clock embedded as biphase encoding used in SPDIF. This has the potential to be lower jitter, which would be a cleaner technical output.

But the specific implementation also has a part to play; you could have an excellent SPDIF interface, and a crap async USB interface.

Yep...my bad. USB C connection is for power. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll have to use optical for initial connection and review. Then go from there. Proving out the concept and moving away from a hardwired USB connection to the computer is step one. Deciding on what streamer to purchase and live with will be the next step.

...and just like that, I'm up and streaming with the Wiim mini, at 24/192khz when to file supports it. Awesome.

I'm so OCD about sound quality than I'm now second guessing SQ out vs my laptop and USB cable. :idea: It'll take a bit for me to settle in and get used to it. UPDATE: I felt like something wasn't right with the sound quality. Couldn't put my finger on it initially, but I knew it just wasn't right. Swapped out a Rocketfish optical cable that I picked up recently in a bundle of used equipment I bought, and installed the cable that came with the Wiim. Boom! Exactly as I remembered! Removed the grain that I was getting and smoothed the SQ out perfectly.

I sure like the 10 band graphic equalizer for sure. My tube amp has no tone controls, so a welcome addition!

No more USB cable strung across the office floor. Cool...

Last edited:
I'm not certain, but I think that the EQ function can add significant distortion, and that it can reduce resolution of the signal (no longer bit perfect). Others more knowledgeable can confirm or correct me, and hopefully expand on the relationship between use of the EQ and signal quality...and same for the volume control.

I run my Pro in fixed volume mode with the EQ off, based on my understanding that the signal is no longer bit perfect when they are in use How much this affects sound quality, I don't know. But my view is why accept any degradation when its so easy to avoid it.

I'm not certain, but I think that the EQ function can add significant distortion, and that it can reduce resolution of the signal (no longer bit perfect). Others more knowledgeable can confirm or correct me, and hopefully expand on the relationship between use of the EQ and signal quality...and same for the volume control.

I run my Pro in fixed volume mode with the EQ off, based on my understanding that the signal is no longer bit perfect when they are in use How much this affects sound quality, I don't know. But my view is why accept any degradation when its so easy to avoid it.

Yep.... I'm also running with EQ off now. After some tweaks...it's amazing!

Back
Top Bottom