Help troubleshooting RCA console

Haleynm1

Hi, new here. I have a 1962 RCA Victor console model number 3VF306. It's in amazing condition and works beautifully. The only issue is that after it being on for a minute or 2 the sound on the left speaker fades in and out and gets fuzzy, almost like the speaker is blown (which very well could be). This happens with the turntable on and especially when the speakers are in stereo mode. I keep reading about trying new capacitators. I was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences or has any advice. There are no places near me that repair consoles anymore. Any advice or tips are much appreciated! I uploaded some pictures of the console before I cleaned it up a bit.20200715_173401.jpg 20200715_200105.jpg 20200715_200112.jpg 20200715_200118.jpg 20200715_173401.jpg 20200715_200105.jpg 20200715_200112.jpg 20200715_200118.jpg

Welcome!

It sounds like the switches and controls can use a good deox bath first.

When it starts to act up, wiggle the controls and switches and if it crackles or clears up, you could have dirty controls. It could also be dirty tube pins.

It certainly does sound like it could be a capacitor. I doubt it's the speaker. Did you clean all the tube pins as suggested, with contact cleaner? I could see how a tube heating up could cause some expansion, which in turn could cause an intermittent issue like this.

If thats all original underneath its overdue for service. Leaky coupling caps can actually cause similar issues. As the cap leaks through it can increase the current flow through the tube until it just stops passing signal.

Unfortunately, as the OP has discovered, it's going to be difficult to find a professional to work on it, for two reasons: 1) Most of the tube guys/gals are retired or worse, and 2) they try to avoid making house calls. These days, repairs to systems like this are usually DIY, although you can find help online. @Haleynm1, if you can use (or learn to use) a soldering iron and a multimeter, there's a decent chance you can fix it. Otherwise, if you state your location, someone here might be able to make a recommendation for a technician.

Sometimes, tube pins can be very stubborn to have reliable contact. I have often scraped them with an X-acto knife blade.

Doug

I forgot, spraying a bit of Deoxit into the tube sockets is a good idea, too. Just a bit. No need to flood them.

Doug

Hi, new here. I have a 1962 RCA Victor console model number 3VF306. It's in amazing condition and works beautifully. The only issue is that after it being on for a minute or 2 the sound on the left speaker fades in and out and gets fuzzy, almost like the speaker is blown (which very well could be). This happens with the turntable on and especially when the speakers are in stereo mode. I keep reading about trying new capacitators. I was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences or has any advice. There are no places near me that repair consoles anymore. Any advice or tips are much appreciated! I uploaded some pictures of the console before I cleaned it up a bit.View attachment 1927653 View attachment 1927654 View attachment 1927655 View attachment 1927656 View attachment 1927653 View attachment 1927654 View attachment 1927655 View attachment 1927656

Welcome to AK! Very sweet looking little console there. The output transformers look pretty beefy for a single ended amp. Deoxit On the controls has already been mentioned. It wouldn't hurt to do the tube sockets as well. I'm sure some of the more savvy members will be buy to offer more in depth advice.

in my case, it's usually a tube in the amp section that's needing replacing- in pairs- when one channel is stronger than the other. the switch selector contacts have to be cleaned well- deox spraying doesn't do it. the contacts develop a coating of a dirty greasy substance. the balance control and volume should move smoothly...deox won't clean it either. I spray them with 90% alcohol and work them...then use the queen's hair dryer to dry them out the next day n spray them with deoxit. if it hasn't been serviced- the amp section- then use a surge / power strip or unplug it when not in use or it could burn the house down. seriously. the amp section is pretty straightforward to service- just replace all capacitors, at least. power cord, too. google Beitman's most often needed radio servicing info. for schematics.

Attachments

• 20190326_185108.jpg
    20190326_185108.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190326_185147.jpg
    20190326_185147.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom