Here's a picture example of why I don't trust the longevity of Poly speakers...

Rap is music?

Why should someone accept something they obviously don't like? To please you?

Perhaps you should accept that some people don't like rap , and are entitled to their opinions about it. Just sayin'....

Not liking something, and saying it doesn't exist (or doesn't meet some arbitrary standard) is not the same thing. Also, broad generalizations typically fail to make sense when analyzed with any honesty.

I do not like rap, in general, but I like a bit of Kid Rock (Cowboy) and the Red Hot Chili Peppers (Give it Away), which I would consider rap songs. So my generalization failed.

Also, I generally don't like disco, but I love ZZ Top, including the Eliminator album (Legs), which definitely took its direction from disco with the synth drums, etc. Again, my generalization failed.

I can't appreciate Asian music because my ear has been trained to "like" a specific seven-tone scale, not a pentatonic scale (and not the same pentatonic scale used by blues players, the intervals are different), but that doesn't mean it's not music.

Now go listen to some Klezmer and see how you like that.

Yea - I agree with others that there must be tons of different formulations of poly cones.

All the older KEFs I have seen have been fine - including mine.

I think a lot can be said about rigidity of the cone - or lack of - I think the latter coud lead to less stress on teh cone,a nd eventually, damage like the type you have shown.

Plus, isnt the (informal) motto of Cerwin Vega "slam it hard brur!!!!!!" - Im not sure, I could be making that part up.....
YEAH BRUHHHH I ONLY LIKE METALLICA AND TATTOOS AND I OWN TWO DUAL SPORT MOTORCYCLES DEFEATING THE PURPOSE OF OWNING A DUAL SPORT MOTORCYCLE BRRUUUUUUH I ONCE WENT HUNTING SO EXTREME TED NUGENT CALLED AND ASKED ME IF I COULD CALM DOWN BRHUHUH CERWIN VEGA TOMAHAWK STEAKS AT EVERY MEAL PALEO BRUUUUUH

Cerwin vega: it checks out:rflmao:
edit: tirade based on a co-worker who is 50 and acts like a 18 year old who learned how to be a man by watching MTV in 1993

Last edited:
Why should someone accept something they obviously don't like? To please you?

Perhaps you should accept that some people don't like rap , and are entitled to their opinions about it. Just sayin'....

I wish people would stop saying “just sayin’”.

I do accept that some people don’t like Rap, Hell, I don’t like it. But to deny it’s music, as many who don’t like it do, is absurd. The anti Rap people put me in mind of bible thumping preachers who thought Rock and Roll was the Devil’s music and snotty prigs like Steve Allen who denied its being music.

I would never trust a woofer that has a red colored surround and I am not "just sayin".

I like Cerwin Vegas for certain situations.
I like some hip hop (rap, I do not believe, is the preferred nomenclature. "Rap" is what they do in lieu of singing.) Beastie Boys comes to mind, Grandmaster Flash (yes, I still like it, lol)

This thread has its share of curmudgeons on both sides. Let's chill on this, ya'll.

I've seen ripped paper cones. I've seen dented poly cones. I've even seen dents in the magnesium/aluminum alloy KEF woofers. It really doesn't matter what you make the woofer out of, damage is always possible.

That speaker looks to me like it was either driven too hard or impacted. I doubt normal use caused that.

My experience with wood in boats has been that it's less subject to vibration and flex than resin fiberglass plastic. I can see where that cone can fail sooner than pulp with heavy use before the coil burns up.

My experience with wood in boats has been that it's less subject to vibration and flex than resin fiberglass plastic. I can see where that cone can fail sooner than pulp with heavy use before the coil burns up.

Atmospheric conditions definitely affect any material, such as the dashboards of automobiles cracking in the hot sun of the desert Southwest in the USA.
And placing speakers near heat register's or in direct sunlight in a room.
But I am interested in finding out if most speaker manufacturers rely on the data from their own testing of materials when engineering a driver, or are they relying on the materials suppliers data?
I have to assume that the Polypropylene types of cones are produced under high temperatures with mold machines and I have seen first hand how inconsistencies can occur during the manufacturing process.
Many many years ago I worked in a plastic injection mold factory and saw how that Whole process worked with delrin plastic pellets being vacuumed into the mold machine and heated and injected into large molds under extreme high pressure, there were times when there were inconsistencies and they were usually caught in the ISO 9001 QC process... They used to use instron machines to test failure rates and then they would chart them.

It would just be interesting to know the research put into failure rates and materials selected to reproduce sound efficiently and give long service life.
The Infinity kappa series with the dome failures is a crying shame example, especially because just such a short time of life span that they have & people having a hard time backward engineering the materials to produce something that can create the same Sonic properties of the original domes.

You'd think there would be access to the proprietary ingredients of the materials and the specifications necessary to remanufacturer replacement parts.

I've seen a lot of plastic failure over my lifetime in one way or the other.
And recently had to replace plastic water outlet part on a 2014 Buick.
Yeah I know heat cycles on automobiles are going to shorten the life, but even in this example the engineers have to figure out what materials will give the longest service life..... Speaker manufacturers should be no different in their engineering.

https://d354nuoz4t18d4.cloudfront.n...247c03777bccf4eb6b4d9b8ebfd.png?cb=1550213563

Yeah, it is. You know, it’s been around now, what, 25-30 years? Time to accept it or at least stop bitching about it.
I was taught back in school that music consisted of three elements: melody, harmony and rhythm. It seem to me that the first of those elements is missing in rap.

This thread exposed a distant memory. When I bought my ESS 1B monitors (I was a saleseman at the time) my brother just HAD TO have the same speakers. About a decade later, he noticed one of his "bextrene rubber" woofers making a funny sound. I pulled the dust cap off and it had developed a crack going straight out from the center. I applied a thin line of JB weld, put the dust cap back on, and it never had another problem.

This thread exposed a distant memory. When I bought my ESS 1B monitors (I was a saleseman at the time) my brother just HAD TO have the same speakers. About a decade later, he noticed one of his "bextrene rubber" woofers making a funny sound. I pulled the dust cap off and it had developed a crack going straight out from the center. I applied a thin line of JB weld, put the dust cap back on, and it never had another problem.
So what was different? His in the sun while yours never saw daylight, hard rock compared to your easy listening, more/less watts?

Here's something nobody has considered...
Allowing the plastic to get too cold and then

https://engineering.mit.edu/engage/ask-an-engineer/why-do-plastics-get-brittle-when-they-get-cold/
In light of the fact that cold weather is a serious contributing factor I would think subwoofer manufacturers would be using fiber reinforced plastics or polypropylene instead of just straight polypropylene.
My made in Michigan USA Rockford fosgate 12 inch subwoofer from the year 2000 is a treated paper looks and feels like polypropylene with fiber. .
It only saw one season of cold weather use.. and then sat in a closet for 13 years or more until I started using it has a subwoofer on surround sound..
I wonder how many pure polypropylene subwoofers had failure cracks from cold weather use in cold climates like Michigan?

So what was different? His in the sun while yours never saw daylight, hard rock compared to your easy listening, more/less watts?
I bi-amped mine with a hitachi stack. I used the ESS active eq with a 400 wpc hitachi amp for the woofers and a 100 watt hitachi mos-fet amp for the heils. I also used the aluminum weights on the passives to change the cabinet resonant frequency. He used a 100 watt amp. I played mine danged loud.

All I can figure out is that he either clipped his amp a lot or his was just defective.

Back
Top Bottom