HH Scott 480A

MTaylor

A guy I work with is selling an HH Scott 480A for $50.

I don't really know anything about old school amps but this looks like a great deal?

In his description: "The 480As features a unique power limiter switch which allows you to reduce maximum RMS output from 85 watts to 55 watts to complement speaker systems with low power handling capacity."

85 WPC?! Yes! This should work well with my Mach 2 speakers right? :scratch2:

Let me know what you guys think! I already told him I would buy it and if I decide this is not a good deal I will cancel it. But this thing looks CHERRY! (Check out the pic!)

Thanks for any advice.

Matthew

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 192
  • untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 118
I don't think you could go to far wrong for $50. Provided its working OK on both channels.Probably could use a little switch and control maintenance.(Deox-it).....:yes: I'm not familiar with mach II speakers.If they are 6 or 8Ω no problems if they are 4 Ω I wouldn't try to crank'm for extended periods of time but under moderate levels I see no problems.:thmbsp:

Working for $50; it's a no-brainer unless putting food on the table is a better use of 50 of your lucre.

Like the power limiting switch explanation. I suggest that in the instructions the purpose is to switch to the lower power when using 4 ohm speakers and use the 85 watt position for 8 and 16 ohm. This was done when amps could not meet the FTC conditioning test at 4 ohms at rated output. A number of companies dropped their 4 ohm specifications rather then develop the power limiting system and admit that the amps had a stability issue at 4 ohms at full output. Mc added the power limiting circuit to the MA6100 for this reason as well.

I always liked these Scotts. Nice looking, clean, understated and good build quality.

TOTL integrated amp in 1977 it was

scott480A.jpg

$50 for a Scott 85 wpc receiver is a great deal! Plenty of guts and should really drive the Mach's!

There is 1 of these on the auction site with the matching tuner, analyzer and cassette with a load of documentation. Looks like a nice total system.

Go for it. I have a Scott 440A, 65 wpc little brother of that amp. It sounds great, has great styling, and has never had trouble powering any speakers I've thrown at it.

Blah.

Well, I picked this up the other day and when I hooked it up today. Nothing.

Static. Pop. Whistle. Snap, Crackle, Pop!

Silence. :tears:

BUT THEN: I continued to wiggle knobs/switches and started hearing some output. It all sounds like CRAP. Left/Right channels intermittent. :scratch2:

Checked all connections, checked speaker wire and RCA plugs. No dice.

Local Audio-Mart charges $50 just to look at it and then you can apply that toward cost of repair if you choose to do so.

DIY De-Oxit time? Where can I get this? Where do I spray that and do I have to take the whole thing apart?

I'm not afraid to get in there and take a go at it. But this guy told me it worked fine. That's what bothers me. He will be getting a stern email soon! :nono:

Thanks for any input about why I'm not getting good output.

Matthew

DeOxit. It's worth a shot. Did he keep it in a dry environment or out in the garage rafters? Just a thought.

Yes! Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the feedback.

Good news! :banana:

I took this over to my Dad's and we took the cover, bottom, and faceplate off to check it out. Not too bad, but it needed to be dusted.

The volume control and all the switches were causing static and distortion. My Dad had some contact cleaner/degreaser that is safe for use on circuit boards etc. from when he was a computer tech. We sprayed that into the switches and volume control and worked them back and forth real well and then hit them with some compressed air. At this point we had done all we could so we put it back together and I checked it out with some headphones - No Static and Clean Output! :thmbsp:

Took it back to my place and this thing sounds FANTASTIC! My Realistic Mach 2's HIT HARD! :guitar:

Amazing, just amazing! :D

scott 480a

That is a killer amp you got. I used to work at a Scott dealer doing repairs and bought mine years ago. Still use it with no problems. Also got the matching tuner and cassette. That amp was way ahead of its time when Scott used to make real equipment. You can wire into the preamp out on the board and send to another amp to bi amp. I use the Scott to run tweets and mid and use 2 Mac 125 tube amps for my 15 inch Altec woofers. The unit under the amp is a rackmount computer for my MP3's, video, etc.

rack.jpg

Back
Top Bottom