High End Turntables

Nice rig! :thumbsup:

Are those M-125 monoblocks on your rack? I'm curious if you made the wood end caps for those, as the big turnoff of Latino's amps for me was how unappealing they look. The wood at least makes them look more finished.

Yes M125's. And yes those are simple wooden end caps I fabricated from walnut pieces. Love the amps now, but in the beginning as a neophyte tube amp owner little did I appreciate the grief tube ownership can entail, without benefit of prior experience.

Yes M125's. And yes those are simple wooden end caps I fabricated from walnut pieces. Love the amps now, but in the beginning as a neophyte tube amp owner little did I appreciate the grief tube ownership can entail, without benefit of prior experience.
The only tubes I had prior to my Premier 11 was a little TubeCube|7 toy I picked up for my desktop system. I have to say that both have been problem-free, but I also did not build them. The Premier 11 needs biasing when the power tubes are replaced, but that's a simple task. I had considered building a pair of M-125s at one point, though. They are very nice for the money! I'm glad you are enjoying them!

I am enjoying them now, not so much in the beginning. Was going through tubes, and esp fuses, like chicklets. Also nasty red plate events which are just plain scary, the amps get so hot. I was at a loss. Got lots of advice, none of it particularly helpful. Simple issue really. Turns out 115v is not necessarily 115v. At times can run a lot higher, esp in the summer, bad news for tube amps. Like yeah anybody into tubes knows to check their line voltage, umm not everybody!

Now I have a bucker transformer in line which drops my supply voltage and red plates are totally a thing of the past and tubes last like they are supposed to. What I learned is tube amps are not plug and play like solid state. And they also dont like to be hot cycled so I as well have a fault interrupter in line now, etc etc. But they are nice once you get on to the subtleties.

Apologies for the threadjack, lets get back to nice tables!

Last edited:
That TT certainly qualifies for this thread! Can you tell us more about your air suspension platform?

Upgraded my Clearaudio Champion, previously posted on page 4 (post #75).

48162533156_9a3c9eaaba_b.jpg

48162603842_90fb5c2665_b.jpg

48162605867_86942e8718_b.jpg

Platter, bearing, tonearm riser and motor riser.

Last edited:
0638237A-30E1-402A-886E-F2E4857C4AF7.jpeg 8783A49D-632E-409C-9FD8-6101E21C4BAA.jpeg 04E7F73D-55BE-474A-99AF-393240FC4B4F.jpeg A355982D-EF56-4399-B226-41300DA15FED.jpeg Not quite “high end” but a stout performer. Immediately bettered my Scout with the same cart.
Acoustic Signature Primus, I went for an upgrade to the TA-700 arm. My dealer gave me a nice price on this so I couldn’t refuse. I had spent some time researching tables in the $2-3k price range. Hearing this table fitted with a 2M red was an eye opener. My dealer does AS, Brinkman, Rega, and Pro-ject and they are really high on this “budget” table.
Spinning today and I’m really happy. So much more dynamic than my last table.
Going to run this cart for a few months then pull the trigger on something new. Dynavector 20X2L or maybe a Quintet Bronze. We’ll see.

frankb- "Not quite high end"...pfffft, that is a mighty fine table there! I had been eyeing some of the AS line prior to buying my Holbo. Good stuff you got going on there! Enjoy!

Thanks Timf. With the same 10X5 as I used on my scout and old Music Hall, this table sounds completely different than the others. So much snappier and detailed while retaining most of the black background the VPI had.
The arm has a real solid feel that I appreciate. I couldn’t get used to that unipivot.
I can’t wait to see what an upstream cart will do.

I typically like unipivots, but many do not and I understand it! Can be a bit in-nerving when hand cuing etc. as to your 10X5, I have always liked them, they have gotten a bit more pricey though, and Hana or others may be another choice, but still, a good pickup. Glad you are enjoying your table, looks great! Have fun!

Hey 4-2-7 ..

It's that $12 Discwasher that's letting all these fine front ends resolve the detail that we listen for ...
Somebody made a mint off that simple invention about 1978 or so ..
Still makin it .. 2 generations later !!
Another thread, I know but I couldn't resist..

Well, I order this cart 7 weeks ago and it's finally here.
Soundsmith Zephyr is in and will be installed this weekend.
This is the new body style. Super stoked and can't wait until I finally have it.
I wanted a more set it and forget it cart and was talked out of the MIMC version by my shop owner. Saved me a couple bucks too. Should be a big jump.!

D0FE39E1-7572-4C83-B064-D4C97480BD73.jpeg 23C89350-0C26-4C00-94CF-AD4BA2B4CE36.jpeg 3E402657-D9EA-4755-B325-A030D958CD2A.jpeg

Got the Soundsmith Zephyr mkIII last week and have been running it in. I’m glad my dealer talked me into this purchase, this is going to give me joy for a long time to come. It was a big chunk of change but it’s factory rebuild able and just brings so much out of my records. A phono pre upgrade should really jump a level. Very pleased.

Back
Top Bottom