How about some back yard nature pictures?

I've had a black and yellow Oriole or three feasting at my hummingbird feeder.
It's a strikingly beautiful bird but it's manners are piggish, laying havoc to the feeder and its contents. Note the handy butyl rubber repairs and keeps the screen in place.
It seems this nylon door screen keeps it from gaining purchase and the oriole really doesn't like its claws snagged in the mesh.
Bon a petite
upload_2019-3-14_23-11-16.jpeg

Yeah we had them passing thru Vista by the thousands today. Migrating north from Mexico. The local birds were having a field day.

John

Earlier, I mentioned it appeared that they were migrating westwardly.
Well, duh. They were migrating westwardly, in my backyard-> front yard, in an attempt to get around a 300' long hedge row of native shrubs. When they got around that hedge row, they continued north.

Last edited:
Here are a few from my property.

upload_2019-3-15_9-8-18.jpeg
This was an odd sight. I have no idea where they came from or where they went. They were utterly beautiful.

upload_2019-3-15_9-9-17.jpeg
Turkey Parade. Despite trying to hide the one lookout saw me and they left in very short order.

upload_2019-3-15_9-11-1.jpeg
Blondie. Not fully albino. Only saw her a couple times.

upload_2019-3-15_9-12-29.jpeg
Marauder. I did battle with this guy last year, after a few scare tactics he got the hint and I only had to replace two feeders.

upload_2019-3-15_9-14-10.jpeg
Posers. They weren't bothered by my photography.

upload_2019-3-15_9-21-28.jpeg
American woodcock. Quite a successful little wormer and fun to watch.

Mark K.

Last edited:
Woodcock are amazing. Their brains are under their eyes, only bird like that I believe.

Really! That is interesting and I did not know! Somewhere I've got video of it hunting. It did this back and forth movement while slowly walking and then would quickly pierce the ground with its beak and pull out a worm. Pretty cool to watch.

Thanks,

Mark K.

Found this picture (actually 3 stitched) from 2018-06-02. Although, technically it's my front yard.
GwS0R1NfC4qHjBipYnZlnZOuqfWu14uAFcWv6OU_tfLwc4GYCBZhbfTTOPFaKWQs6o_fD_SHq1J85JYsX1Tg-CPcdiVTJd4509oBjskUz-8m_oByEtworTvr8qLSBgSlXcFtjMt7m90=w2400

Back
Top Bottom